First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Totally agree. Plus making ourselves so dependent on technology makes us vulnerable - to terrorism or other hostile agencies. I'm more worried about this defencelessness than about the dumbing down of society at large.
    Meh. Large scale war like that required to threaten a front running country just isn't economically viable. Powerful people would lose out. That's your first safety net.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Meh. Large scale war like that required to threaten a front running country just isn't economically viable. Powerful people would lose out. That's your first safety net.
    It wouldn't require large scale war. That's the point.

There is no safety net. We're too co-dependent for a WWIII-type scenario. But never underestimate terrorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

It wouldn't require large scale war. That's the point.

There is no safety net. We're too co-dependent for a WWIII-type scenario. But never underestimate terrorists.
    Meh. Why worry about them? It's counter productive. Unless you are in league with the devils

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Meh. Why worry about them? It's counter productive. Unless you are in league with the devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Ignorance is bliss, is my answer to this topic.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

You said it's making "us" more intelligent. But if you are "not like most people" in your use of it, you can't make that argument.

But, but, there must be more like me, and us is nothing more than a bunched up people with one or more similarities, and is rarily defined very clearly.

>.>

Also, I have an imaginary friend and he agrees with me regarding this subject.

He has reality issues though, he thinks he is real and I am his imaginary friend. Really, he's not right in the head at all. Pft, I get an imaginary friend and it turns out to be a psychotic one. Go figure.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    But, but, there must be more like me, and us is nothing more than a bunched up people with one or more similarities, and is rarily defined very clearly.

>.>

Also, I have an imaginary friend and he agrees with me regarding this subject.

He has reality issues though, he thinks he is real and I am his imaginary friend. Really, he's not right in the head at all. Pft, I get an imaginary friend and it turns out to be a psychotic one. Go figure.
    Too much weed, INTP.

2 things.

As someone who listens to engineers whinge a lot, do you have an appreciation for the washing machine? Do you understand it or just use it?
    The washing machine and I have an understanding. It works, we get along.

But seriously, I do have a conceptual understanding of it. Probably not to an INTPs level of i-dotting but its net effects could be manually reproduced if necessary.

I'm not convinced that conceptual thinking has been eroded on by technology. In a situation of apocalyptic proportions, if mankind survives, we could reconceptualise ourselves perhaps not to the exact place we are now but to an even better place since hopefully, we'll have learned a thing or two from past mistakes.

And yet, I have to argue the other side. Take what happened within the past year, where the NYSE took a nosedive from large trades tripping stop orders enmasse. In this, technology led us down the doggie trail but it was nonceptualisation that created the opportunity for it to do so.

The other thing is, did you just go from doing laundry to slicing up half cooked bovine? You might want to check those mushrooms before making soup!

Indeed, I did! Have a great recipe for a clarified mushroom soup and have it all the time, as you've experienced.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    The washing machine and I have an understanding. It works, we get along.

But seriously, I do have a conceptual understanding of it. Probably not to an INTPs level of i-dotting but its net effects could be manually reproduced if necessary.

I'm not convinced that conceptual thinking has been eroded on by technology. In a situation of apocalyptic proportions, if mankind survives, we could reconceptualise ourselves perhaps not to the exact place we are now but to an even better place since hopefully, we'll have learned a thing or two from past mistakes.

And yet, I have to argue the other side. Take what happened within the past year, where the NYSE took a nosedive from large trades tripping stop orders enmasse. In this, technology led us down the doggie trail but it was nonceptualisation that created the opportunity for it to do so.
    I've no idea on the stock markets or American economics so I'll just keep to the conceptualisation if that's okay.

It is being damaged but not necessarily in the common way. A wall which is battered by cannon fire shows it's injury but undermining it does not until it all comes down.

How many users of computers actually have a foundationary understanding of how it works? How many managers actually know anything about what a manager is supposed to do? How many people drive motorcars but couldn't find the place to put the oil? It's not a problem until the main task at hand cannot be done because of a problem and then the house of cards starts coming down.

A good example is when a supermarket cannot serve people because their tills stop working. Of course they can but they refuse to because they get their knickers in a twist about the automatic stock control which was implemented to make the job easier not reliant on additional technology.

I guess you could say that it's not making people stupid but making them relax to the point where if plan A doesn't work there is no plan B at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Indeed, I did! Have a great recipe for a clarified mushroom soup and have it all the time, as you've experienced. :p:
    Hey you told me that was from a can! No wonder I thought my monitor was playing up all day!

I've no idea on the stock markets or American economics so I'll just keep to the conceptualisation if that's okay.

It is being damaged but not necessarily in the common way. A wall which is battered by cannon fire shows it's injury but undermining it does not until it all comes down.

How many users of computers actually have a foundationary understanding of how it works? How many managers actually know anything about what a manager is supposed to do? How many people drive motorcars but couldn't find the place to put the oil? It's not a problem until the main task at hand cannot be done because of a problem and then the house of cards starts coming down.

A good example is when a supermarket cannot serve people because their tills stop working. Of course they can but they refuse to because they get their knickers in a twist about the automatic stock control which was implemented to make the job easier not reliant on additional technology.

I guess you could say that it's not making people stupid but making them relax to the point where if plan A doesn't work there is no plan B at all.
    I hear you but you also have to take into consideration that each example contains short-term and also per individual concerns. In the long-term and as a conceptual whole, we would find ways to circumvent technological dependencies.

Sorry to take this back to economics but consider globalisation. Economies and efficiences of scale. No one country or person understands, manufactures, throws the switch for every potential form of trade. Each country has its expertise(s) and these positive synergies take humankind to another level of advancement since it provides us with opportunities to focus on areas of expertise(s). It's okay to rely on a mechanic to some degree.

Good god, am I arguing for beneficial societal wholes? Ni screams quietly in the background while Te giggles.

We did learn something from 9/11. Contingency planning where many regulatory bodies dictated that each corporation have Plan B for any number of contingencies.

Hey you told me that was from a can! No wonder I thought my monitor was playing up all day!
    Ha...as if INTPs needed mushrooms. Y'all do fine with your Ne tripping!