• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Microsoft seeks patent for office 'spy' software

What do you think about this level of surveillance?

• I don't like the idea, too much big brother breathing down our necks.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • I like the idea, it will help me feel safe.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I don't know what to think.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

heart

heart on fire
January 16, 2008

Microsoft seeks patent for office 'spy' software

Microsoft is developing Big Brother-style software capable of remotely monitoring a worker’s productivity, physical wellbeing and competence.

The Times has seen a patent application filed by the company for a computer system that links workers to their computers via wireless sensors that measure their metabolism. The system would allow managers to monitor employees’ performance by measuring their heart rate, body temperature, movement, facial expression and blood pressure. Unions said they fear that employees could be dismissed on the basis of a computer’s assessment of their physiological state...(more at link)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wish Microsoft would just make the Blu-Ray adapter for the Xbox 360, so that we may settle the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD bullshit and I don't have to pay $400 for a PS3. (Only two major studios left that are exclusive to HD-DVD.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know what to think. It's not as bad as Microsoft monitoring you without you knowing about it, which is wrong... but it still seems to have potential misuses. It might mean that easily or chonically stressed people would be less likely to remain employed than more laid-back people, regardless of how good they were at hiding their stress. Personally, I think that's a little unnerving, but if the workers know they're going to be monitored when they start work, I guess it's fair.

Bad news for strong Judging types and Introverts, though. :(

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Awesome...hopefully we can start getting chips implanted that just send all of our info without the clumsy monitoring equipment.

vote Ron Paul

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
This is going to be fun! I've never had the opportunity to subvert privacy invasions using biofeedback before. :devil:

O

Oberon

I don't know what to think. It's not as bad as Microsoft monitoring you without you knowing about it, which is wrong... but it still seems to have potential misuses. (

How much do you think this data would be worth to, say, insurance companies?

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
When I was a kid I had a sticker that said, "Big Computer is Watching You." I used to laugh and laugh.

How much do you think this data would be worth to, say, insurance companies?

They'd regret it once they upset the coffee industry for discriminating against their performance enhancing clients.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Meh. Tens of thousands of patents get filled and never used. Most of the time they are used as weapons against other companies rather than products. Wake me up when they actually build it.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Great. So after being shown that theory Y tends to work better they're still trying to produce tools for theory X labouring under the false impression that if they have the right tools so the subject forgets that they are constantly being monitored and threatened that they'll reduce the downsides to the theory.

(Should note that this theory X and Y is management theory. X is centred around the idea that every worker is a lazy slob who needs to be kicked twice an hour to do the work and theory Y is more centred on the concept that the worker is a responsible human being and should be treated as such.)

Why can't MS just concentrate on producing decent code instead of constantly devising more useless muck?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Great. So after being shown that theory Y tends to work better they're still trying to produce tools for theory X labouring under the false impression that if they have the right tools so the subject forgets that they are constantly being monitored and threatened that they'll reduce the downsides to the theory.

A lot of things Microsoft does are based on obsolete ideas. I think that eventually happens in any large company. The larger you get, the less flexible you get, and the more you look for ways to be efficient without losing money. The best quality from a company always seems to be just before and after it gets popular. After that, things seem to go downhill.
Why can't MS just concentrate on producing decent code instead of constantly devising more useless muck?

Personally, I dislike their licensing enough that that alone turns me off. They seem to be using something like that "Theory X" with end-users as well these days. And I'll tell you, no other company could get away with lousy licensing and bad code like Microsoft has.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
A lot of things Microsoft does are based on obsolete ideas. I think that eventually happens in any large company. The larger you get, the less flexible you get, and the more you look for ways to be efficient without losing money. The best quality from a company always seems to be just before and after it gets popular. After that, things seem to go downhill.
Ah the golden period. Always pleasurable, never long enough.
Personally, I dislike their licensing enough that that alone turns me off. They seem to be using something like that "Theory X" with end-users as well these days. And I'll tell you, no other company could get away with lousy licensing and bad code like Microsoft has.
Oh I don't know.... Ever heard of a company called Symantec? ;)

Yes you're right. I've always been against all the security they enforce on the end user. I've always supported the idea that if they want to secure their investment then they should do the running around not the guy who bought the damn thing. I'm sorry but this is MY copy of windows and it is NOT on loan from MS and no I won't be giving advanced notice of hardware changes so you don't ask me stupid frickin questions. Oh and if I want to reinstall Windows ten times a day, what on earth has it got to do with you?

If only Linux was proprietary and in the same weight class as MS Windoze. Hell if only there was a direct competitor. I'd try it straight away!!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
If only Linux was proprietary and in the same weight class as MS Windoze. Hell if only there was a direct competitor. I'd try it straight away!!

Watch out! The Micro$oft spy software might see you say that. On second thoughts, it'll crash afterwards and lose all unsaved data, so you'll be fine :yes:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Watch out! The Micro$oft spy software might see you say that. On second thoughts, it'll crash afterwards and lose all unsaved data, so you'll be fine :yes:
Oh the "arguments" I had between Linux and Microsoft as who'd queer up the other first when I tried dual booting on my computer. I must have reinstalled more times than a Windows 98 user in that trial period. I had to abandon Linux cause I couldn't keep both stable. Shame really as Linux seems to have a sharper learning curve but more payoff at the end. Perhaps one day I'll try again... no bad... bad plan :doh:

I may have to be nasty to you Geoff if I mess it all up again. No tempting. Bad boy.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh the "arguments" I had between Linux and Microsoft as who'd queer up the other first when I tried dual booting on my computer. I must have reinstalled more times than a Windows 98 user in that trial period. I had to abandon Linux cause I couldn't keep both stable. Shame really as Linux seems to have a sharper learning curve but more payoff at the end. Perhaps one day I'll try again... no bad... bad plan :doh:

I may have to be nasty to you Geoff if I mess it all up again. No tempting. Bad boy.

I used to have trouble dual booting as well, but I eventually got through by learning that you should always install Windows first, always use GRUB, and make sure to have a utility on each OS that can access and copy/move configuration files or backup files on the other so that you can repair possible system damage that you do during later configuration to either one (which has even allowed me to fix problems most people would have to reinstall either OS for normally). It still seems to work okay even on XP, which I use now with Ubuntu. Also, note that if you've already confused Windows, the only way to fix it is to run FDISK /MBR, and then reinstall Linux from scratch, working around Windows more properly.

Well, I'd suggest holding out on Vista as long as possible in any case. It's really the worst thing you can install on your computer. I know a lot of people who were so disappointed with it they "downgraded" back to XP. I really hope an alternative comes out before we're stuck with that thing... even if it's Microsoft releasing another version of Windows that's actually stable.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I used to have trouble dual booting as well, but I eventually got through by learning that you should always install Windows first, always use GRUB, and make sure to have a utility on each OS that can access and copy/move configuration files or backup files on the other so that you can repair possible system damage that you do during later configuration to either one (which has even allowed me to fix problems most people would have to reinstall either OS for normally). It still seems to work okay even on XP, which I use now with Ubuntu. Also, note that if you've already confused Windows, the only way to fix it is to run FDISK /MBR, and then reinstall Linux from scratch, working around Windows more properly.

Well, I'd suggest holding out on Vista as long as possible in any case. It's really the worst thing you can install on your computer. I know a lot of people who were so disappointed with it they "downgraded" back to XP. I really hope an alternative comes out before we're stuck with that thing... even if it's Microsoft releasing another version of Windows that's actually stable.
The only version of Linux which would recognise most of my system from scratch was Fedora (I think, I have like a dozen flavours fo Linux). The problem arose in selecting which OS to go with and ending up corrupting the whole thing with my indecision. The only problem with Fedora..well Linux as a whole actually.. is it takes an age to start up. I thought that stuff was supposed to be quicker.

As for an alternative, personally I'm using Windows x64. Not everything works with it which tends to end up with a cleaner system. Plus you get all that 64 bit niceness without all the Vista flashiness.

Honestly though if you try Vista or hell even for XP you can't get better advice than to go through the guide on TweakGuides.com . They have a guide to optimising the OS and it works wonders. Even Vista is fairly snappy if you disable the unnecessary services and ensure you have, at the very least, one Gb of RAM (preferably 2).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
anyone else think it be awesome if Microsoft developed anti-spying software and patented that aswell?:happy0065:

I would so do that if I was them make so much money off of the people trying to spy and the people who had stuff to hide. Or actually start a pseudo company and make the anti-spying software under that "company" :devil:

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
As a geek who revels in technology advances, I have to wonder: can you really squeeze enough extra productivity out of your peons to even pay for this monstrosity?

As an INTP who staunchly believes in autonomy and independance, I have to wonder: how many people would file suit for violation of civil rights on this one?

As a network engineer who would undoubtedly be the one forced to implement such a service, I have to wonder: where's my two-by-four and whose jackass idea was this?!?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
anyone else think it be awesome if Microsoft developed anti-spying software and patented that aswell?:happy0065:

I would so do that if I was them make so much money off of the people trying to spy and the people who had stuff to hide. Or actually start a pseudo company and make the anti-spying software under that "company" :devil:

I have to admit, that would be clever on their part. Unethical, but clever. I guess it would actually be better if they did that than just releasing the spying one, because then people would have an reliable alternative to letting themselves be spied upon.

heart

heart on fire
As a geek who revels in technology advances, I have to wonder: can you really squeeze enough extra productivity out of your peons to even pay for this monstrosity?

As an INTP who staunchly believes in autonomy and independance, I have to wonder: how many people would file suit for violation of civil rights on this one?

As a network engineer who would undoubtedly be the one forced to implement such a service, I have to wonder: where's my two-by-four and whose jackass idea was this?!?

Yes. ITA. :)