User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think about this level of surveillance?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like the idea, too much big brother breathing down our necks.

11 73.33%
  • I like the idea, it will help me feel safe.

1 6.67%
  • I don't know what to think.

1 6.67%
  • I don't care.

2 13.33%
123 Last

heart on fire

Default Microsoft seeks patent for office 'spy' software

January 16, 2008

Microsoft seeks patent for office 'spy' software

Microsoft is developing Big Brother-style software capable of remotely monitoring a worker’s productivity, physical wellbeing and competence.

The Times has seen a patent application filed by the company for a computer system that links workers to their computers via wireless sensors that measure their metabolism. The system would allow managers to monitor employees’ performance by measuring their heart rate, body temperature, movement, facial expression and blood pressure. Unions said they fear that employees could be dismissed on the basis of a computer’s assessment of their physiological state...(more at link)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I wish Microsoft would just make the Blu-Ray adapter for the Xbox 360, so that we may settle the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD bullshit and I don't have to pay $400 for a PS3. (Only two major studios left that are exclusive to HD-DVD.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't know what to think. It's not as bad as Microsoft monitoring you without you knowing about it, which is wrong... but it still seems to have potential misuses. It might mean that easily or chonically stressed people would be less likely to remain employed than more laid-back people, regardless of how good they were at hiding their stress. Personally, I think that's a little unnerving, but if the workers know they're going to be monitored when they start work, I guess it's fair.

Bad news for strong Judging types and Introverts, though.

MBTI
    INTJ

Awesome...hopefully we can start getting chips implanted that just send all of our info without the clumsy monitoring equipment.

vote Ron Paul
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

This is going to be fun! I've never had the opportunity to subvert privacy invasions using biofeedback before.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    vote Ron Paul
    Already on it.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't know what to think. It's not as bad as Microsoft monitoring you without you knowing about it, which is wrong... but it still seems to have potential misuses. (
    How much do you think this data would be worth to, say, insurance companies?

MBTI
    INFP

When I was a kid I had a sticker that said, "Big Computer is Watching You." I used to laugh and laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    How much do you think this data would be worth to, say, insurance companies?
    They'd regret it once they upset the coffee industry for discriminating against their performance enhancing clients.

MBTI
    ISTP

Meh. Tens of thousands of patents get filled and never used. Most of the time they are used as weapons against other companies rather than products. Wake me up when they actually build it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Great. So after being shown that theory Y tends to work better they're still trying to produce tools for theory X labouring under the false impression that if they have the right tools so the subject forgets that they are constantly being monitored and threatened that they'll reduce the downsides to the theory.

(Should note that this theory X and Y is management theory. X is centred around the idea that every worker is a lazy slob who needs to be kicked twice an hour to do the work and theory Y is more centred on the concept that the worker is a responsible human being and should be treated as such.)

Why can't MS just concentrate on producing decent code instead of constantly devising more useless muck?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?