User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think about this level of surveillance?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like the idea, too much big brother breathing down our necks.

    11 73.33%
  • I like the idea, it will help me feel safe.

    1 6.67%
  • I don't know what to think.

    1 6.67%
  • I don't care.

    2 13.33%
First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 33

  1. #21
    Large Member Ender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Oh I don't know.... Ever heard of a company called Symantec?
    Evil!! Get it away!

    I swear when someone asks me to fix their PC after Symantec has been installed on it, I just wanna boot it up some form of bootable media with an autoexec.bat that contains only "Format C: /q" rather then go through the headaches.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

    I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

    Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

  2. #22
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Evil!! Get it away!

    I swear when someone asks me to fix their PC after Symantec has been installed on it, I just wanna boot it up some form of bootable media with an autoexec.bat that contains only "Format C: /q" rather then go through the headaches.
    Oddly enough once you leave the home PC situation and gravitate towards the more corporate end of the market, their reputation improves.

    The weirdest thing is, in terms of software capable of doing something nice to your PC, Norton Systemworks (minus the anti virus) is actually not bad. I've moved on since the last one of those they brought out but sometimes it's a good fall back when you don't know what's wrong. At least it can point to what file or registry entry is causing the problem. Perhaps they should get back to repairing PCs instead of trying to bring them to a stuttering halt with over active anti virus.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #23
    Large Member Ender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Oddly enough once you leave the home PC situation and gravitate towards the more corporate end of the market, their reputation improves.
    Thats true. I used to use their Corporate Anti-Virus software for a while.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

    I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

    Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

  4. #24
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Thats true. I used to use their Corporate Anti-Virus software for a while.
    You know I once seriously looked into anti virus once. I could find only one anti virus company who seemed to win awards, not get slated, not charge the earth and yet produce comprehensive solutions. Ever heard of ESET? I hadn't.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  5. #25
    Large Member Ender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    You know I once seriously looked into anti virus once. I could find only one anti virus company who seemed to win awards, not get slated, not charge the earth and yet produce comprehensive solutions. Ever heard of ESET? I hadn't.
    Maybe, I've gone through so many different AV programs over the years.. These days I just use Avast.

    To tell the truth, I don't run AV programs etc on my pc all the time. I just periodically run my pc through a gamut of tests. Haven't had any issues so far. Theres a hardware firewall between my pc and the net, and I don't go clickin links when they're sent to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

    I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

    Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

  6. #26
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Maybe, I've gone through so many different AV programs over the years.. These days I just use Avast.

    To tell the truth, I don't run AV programs etc on my pc all the time. I just periodically run my pc through a gamut of tests. Haven't had any issues so far. Theres a hardware firewall between my pc and the net, and I don't go clickin links when they're sent to me.
    Me too

    Windows x64 refused the bought and paid for antivirus I've had for a while and I thought I'll be damned if I'm shelling out again. It never ceases to amaze me how many people use Norton and pay out for it when Avast is available for free and actually works.

    As for firewalls, you're not running XPs firewall?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  7. #27
    Large Member Ender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    As for firewalls, you're not running XPs firewall?
    Nope, I've severely limited what Windows is allowed to do. I have an internal network, and I can't be bothered to mess with XP's firewall issues.

    Speakin of Net related protection. Do you use a modified Hosts list? Kinda like this one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

    I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

    Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

  8. #28
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Nope, I've severely limited what Windows is allowed to do. I have an internal network, and I can't be bothered to mess with XP's firewall issues.

    Speakin of Net related protection. Do you use a modified Hosts list? Kinda like this one?
    Not yet

    Good link.

    I've never actually been a telecommunications kinda geek. I can't even get a network working without the wizards. Hardware and single seat is more my field.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  9. #29
    Large Member Ender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I've never actually been a telecommunications kinda geek. I can't even get a network working without the wizards. Hardware and single seat is more my field.
    I'm not a massive computer geek, I've just learned a lot of tricks after using them for over a decade. Theres people out there a lot younger then me who know a lot more.

    Don't get me started on Microsofts version of "helpful" wizards.. Half the time they don't work, and I have to do it all again manually :/ oh and die clippy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

    I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

    Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

  10. #30
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I'm not a massive computer geek, I've just learned a lot of tricks after using them for over a decade. Theres people out there a lot younger then me who know a lot more.

    Don't get me started on Microsofts version of "helpful" wizards.. Half the time they don't work, and I have to do it all again manually :/ oh and die clippy!
    Oh that shows the thinking wonderfully. Click on this button to "help" you correct your problem. Right now do this, it will work. Now do this, it will also work. Your computer is now fixed.
    This always results in either
    #1 it not being fixed but has now been exercised by the help routine.
    #2 Not working at some stage and therefore not complying to the parameters of the help function.

    As always in IT, point me in the direction of an expert and point me in the direction of someone who knows nothing. Ask each question of a different person and end up looking at the same bloke for both criteria.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTJ] Seeking Advice for how to telll an ISTJ Female How I Feel
    By typexplr in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-21-2014, 10:39 AM
  2. [INFJ] Seeking Feedback for Stress Relief.
    By Quiet in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 10:08 PM
  3. are most "P" not suited for office jobs?
    By niki in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO