• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Microsoft seeks patent for office 'spy' software

What do you think about this level of surveillance?

• I don't like the idea, too much big brother breathing down our necks.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • I like the idea, it will help me feel safe.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I don't know what to think.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Oh I don't know.... Ever heard of a company called Symantec? ;)

Evil!! Get it away!

I swear when someone asks me to fix their PC after Symantec has been installed on it, I just wanna boot it up some form of bootable media with an autoexec.bat that contains only "Format C: /q" rather then go through the headaches.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Evil!! Get it away!

I swear when someone asks me to fix their PC after Symantec has been installed on it, I just wanna boot it up some form of bootable media with an autoexec.bat that contains only "Format C: /q" rather then go through the headaches.
Oddly enough once you leave the home PC situation and gravitate towards the more corporate end of the market, their reputation improves.

The weirdest thing is, in terms of software capable of doing something nice to your PC, Norton Systemworks (minus the anti virus) is actually not bad. I've moved on since the last one of those they brought out but sometimes it's a good fall back when you don't know what's wrong. At least it can point to what file or registry entry is causing the problem. Perhaps they should get back to repairing PCs instead of trying to bring them to a stuttering halt with over active anti virus.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Oddly enough once you leave the home PC situation and gravitate towards the more corporate end of the market, their reputation improves.

Thats true. I used to use their Corporate Anti-Virus software for a while.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Thats true. I used to use their Corporate Anti-Virus software for a while.
You know I once seriously looked into anti virus once. I could find only one anti virus company who seemed to win awards, not get slated, not charge the earth and yet produce comprehensive solutions. Ever heard of ESET? I hadn't.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
You know I once seriously looked into anti virus once. I could find only one anti virus company who seemed to win awards, not get slated, not charge the earth and yet produce comprehensive solutions. Ever heard of ESET? I hadn't.

Maybe, I've gone through so many different AV programs over the years.. These days I just use Avast.

To tell the truth, I don't run AV programs etc on my pc all the time. I just periodically run my pc through a gamut of tests. Haven't had any issues so far. Theres a hardware firewall between my pc and the net, and I don't go clickin links when they're sent to me.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Maybe, I've gone through so many different AV programs over the years.. These days I just use Avast.

To tell the truth, I don't run AV programs etc on my pc all the time. I just periodically run my pc through a gamut of tests. Haven't had any issues so far. Theres a hardware firewall between my pc and the net, and I don't go clickin links when they're sent to me.
:rofl1: Me too :D

Windows x64 refused the bought and paid for antivirus I've had for a while and I thought I'll be damned if I'm shelling out again. It never ceases to amaze me how many people use Norton and pay out for it when Avast is available for free and actually works.

As for firewalls, you're not running XPs firewall?

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
As for firewalls, you're not running XPs firewall?

Nope, I've severely limited what Windows is allowed to do. I have an internal network, and I can't be bothered to mess with XP's firewall issues.

Speakin of Net related protection. Do you use a modified Hosts list? Kinda like this one?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Nope, I've severely limited what Windows is allowed to do. I have an internal network, and I can't be bothered to mess with XP's firewall issues.

Speakin of Net related protection. Do you use a modified Hosts list? Kinda like this one?
Not yet :D

Good link.

I've never actually been a telecommunications kinda geek. I can't even get a network working without the wizards. Hardware and single seat is more my field.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I've never actually been a telecommunications kinda geek. I can't even get a network working without the wizards. Hardware and single seat is more my field.

I'm not a massive computer geek, I've just learned a lot of tricks after using them for over a decade. Theres people out there a lot younger then me who know a lot more.

Don't get me started on Microsofts version of "helpful" wizards.. Half the time they don't work, and I have to do it all again manually :/ oh and die clippy!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm not a massive computer geek, I've just learned a lot of tricks after using them for over a decade. Theres people out there a lot younger then me who know a lot more.

Don't get me started on Microsofts version of "helpful" wizards.. Half the time they don't work, and I have to do it all again manually :/ oh and die clippy!
Oh that shows the thinking wonderfully. Click on this button to "help" you correct your problem. Right now do this, it will work. Now do this, it will also work. Your computer is now fixed.
This always results in either
#1 it not being fixed but has now been exercised by the help routine.
#2 Not working at some stage and therefore not complying to the parameters of the help function.

As always in IT, point me in the direction of an expert and point me in the direction of someone who knows nothing. Ask each question of a different person and end up looking at the same bloke for both criteria.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Ah yes the ever so helpful trouble shooter.. Where you go through 15 different steps and just end up at "We're sorry, we can't help you" :p

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ah yes the ever so helpful trouble shooter.. Where you go through 15 different steps and just end up at "We're sorry, we can't help you" :p
That's kinda universal across all tech support isn't it? :D

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
That's kinda universal across all tech support isn't it? :D

I'm gonna stay away from this topic. Especially when it comes to over the phone tech support.

We don't wanna go there :p

Gah I really gotta work on the fact I always seem to sidetrack threads. :/