User Tag List

First 234

Thread: I hate my car

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Any time you have any sort of transmission issue, you should get it checked out immediately. Have you seen your transmission oil? If so, what color is it? It may need to be changed and that's only ~$125. That's a lot cheaper than a transmission.

You've done something lots of people do. Instead of being proactive, making sure all of their fluids are in good shape and at the proper levels, you haven't had your transmission checked until you started noticing symptoms. By that time, there's probably already some damage. It's part of the reason transmission shops (and places that change transmission fluid) get such a bad rap. People don't bring their car in until it's too late.

If you don't trust Jiffy Lube to change your oil, find another place. Don't put it off. That's the worst thing you can do.
    Yeah, I know I shouldn't have put it off. I just get f*cking sick of being ripped off by places like that because I'm a woman and I don't know sh*t about cars. I'm not exactly rolling in cash, so I typically just get my oil changed when it is due and tell them to skip all the other crap they tell me I need (possibly including transmission fluid) because I don't know when I actually need stuff and when they're just trying to rip me off.

I've been looking for an auto repair class through community ed for awhile now, actually, so I can become better informed about this stuff, but I haven't found one. I guess most auto mechanics just want to keep the average consumer in the dark so they can wring more money out of us.

/bitterness

I've got my car into the shop I DO trust right now, and they just called me and said they didn't see anything wrong except a loose heat shield on the catalytic converter (just like JAVO said-- thanks!!). So it may not even be the transmission fluid after all.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If anyone is looking for a solid used-car try looking for a w124. I am doing that at the moment. The car has some weaknesses so you should get some information on a forum first ( or send me a pm I'll write down a list ) but then you are fine. The w124 easly does 300,000 miles if cared for properly before you have to do major repairs. And that measurement is calculated for short trips thru the city, which are bad for all engines; if you go long trips on the road the engine will even hold longer.

It's a good solid car, but only this series, the model after it sucks.

Only downside is it looks like a fancy man's car but hey, I love that

W124 E-Klasse
    Nice car, but you probably won't find many of those in the US. And getting repairs done in the US would probably be really expensive due to scarcity of parts.

I'd recommend a 1992-1996 Toyota Camry (not a '97 or newer because they have engine sludge issues due to poor exhaust gas venting).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Nice car, but you probably won't find many of those in the US. And getting repairs done in the US would probably be really expensive due to scarcity of parts.

I'd recommend a 1992-1996 Toyota Camry (not a '97 or newer because they have engine sludge issues due to poor exhaust gas venting).
    True that. I have no real clue whats brands are common in the states. I found a svabian dealer who only sells this car as a hobby together with his brother and they have customers who come from the farthest parts of Europe to just get this car. Its truly a miracle car
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Maybe that was the problem with my cousin's car. She had a 98 or so Camry and it was a total piece of crap. It doesn't help that it was her brother's car before hers... He's a little rough on vehicles...

I used to be a die hard Chevy fan... But anymore I'm disappointed with them. Their electrical systems need a serious overhaul.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kymbirleigh View Post
    Maybe that was the problem with my cousin's car. She had a 98 or so Camry and it was a total piece of crap. It doesn't help that it was her brother's car before hers... He's a little rough on vehicles...

I used to be a die hard Chevy fan... But anymore I'm disappointed with them. Their electrical systems need a serious overhaul.
    That could be, but even the best lines produce lemons once in a while. The sludge problem is manageable, and they're good cars otherwise. You just need to stay on top of it. You can't delay oil changes. I'd recommend a product called Auto-Rx if she still has the car.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    True that. I have no real clue whats brands are common in the states. I found a svabian dealer who only sells this car as a hobby together with his brother and they have customers who come from the farthest parts of Europe to just get this car. Its truly a miracle car
    Europe has a pretty small market share here. American and Japanese autos dominate the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    What was wrong with the control arms? I'm no master mechanic but why would the entire control arm need to be replaced? Were you having alignment problems (unusual tire wear)? Did they just replace the bushings (you got ripped off at $800 if so). Research suggests that it may be easier the replace the unit as a whole, but that replacing just the bushing isn't that hard of a job.
    The non-replaceable ball joint may have been bad, and the bushings require a special tool.

I don't think having an alternator replaced at around 100k is unusual. I'm doubtful about the lightning theory - the rubber tires insulate your car in a rain storm. But who knows.
    Alternator was replaced at around 40-60K. Acting as a Faraday cage will protect occupants, but it doesn't protect sensitive electronic components. Plus, we know the strike was very close, but not direct. :horor:

CV boot replacement (or, just replacing the whole drive axle) is pretty common in all front wheel drive cars around that mileage. So yeah, that's not all basic, but I suppose "expected" maintenance. Cheers for continued luck in that realm.
    Yep, it's expected and typical here. We pave the streets with potholes.

Definitely did not come with stainless from the factory. Maybe a stainless muffler on the EX series, I'm not sure.
    If I remember right, OEM was stainless down to the converter.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    The non-replaceable ball joint may have been bad, and the bushings require a special tool.
    Hmm. I read it wasn't too difficult to fiddle with the bushing but I suppose a shop wants to cover their butt and do it with the manufacturer tool or not do it at all.

Alternator was replaced at around 40-60K. Acting as a Faraday cage will protect occupants, but it doesn't protect sensitive electronic components. Plus, we know the strike was very close, but not direct. :horor:
    Still then, I'd imagine the ECU would be fried too, then.

But I'll admit the lightning is a better story.

Yep, it's expected and typical here. We pave the streets with potholes.

If I remember right, OEM was stainless down to the converter.
    Oh, the flex pipe, or at least the actual "flex" portion of the pipe, is stainless. The rest anodized or similar.

Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.