User Tag List

123 Last

Default Computers: What do you need them to do that they won't do now?

What do you or your organization need software or computers to do that they currently won't do now?

I'm making a list of projects I'd like to do someday which I'll never get around to actually doing.

MBTI
    istp

virtual, dynamic, unified tools platform.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    What do you or your organization need software or computers to do that they currently won't do now?

I'm making a list of projects I'd like to do someday which I'll never get around to actually doing.
    Okay! Would you please make an easy to use program that will take all my addresses which are in a column in a word document and print them on Avery labels (of my choice) for mailing? Or make a MUCH easier program to use than Access? I do not want to copy and paste 120 names and addresses one by one.

Right now I have an Avery template, but it's only one page of 30 labels, not infinite. So I have 5 separate pages of names and addresses. If I want to take one person off my list and put someone else on my list, I have to open each page of labels with names I have saved until I find a name I want to get rid of and put the new name in there.

I would prefer it to work like a Word column. I would want to add that name and address where it makes sense - keeping the alphabetical order. And I'd want the addresses to move by themselves filling in the blank labels but keeping the proper spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    virtual, dynamic, unified tools platform.
    What he said.

Just generally being able to import data from any program to another and be able to fill in details more easily is most immediate. .NET has a long way to go.

In addition, I want to be able to very quickly have all my written, and print material to be transfered to electronic versions.

I want e-paper also. The tablets are not sensitive enough yet to be used like paper.

I want to be able to search (at google like power) for visual patterns.

Mass customized manufacturing. People should be able to specify their cars, electronic components, etc.(over the web) and have them be made it order in large dynamic factories.

I want to be able to think and have my brainwaves interpreted by robots that obey what I think. Duke University already had Monkeys do this, years ago, if it sounds far-fetched. Now we need to find ways to make it less invasive.

I want a pensieve (like in Harry Potter) based of above technology, to store my thoughts as I have them.

I also want to be able to surf the web by thinking.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

hmmm.... not realistically-

- make me tea and food
    - play with the dog while I'm away at class
    - clean my house and do laundry
    - "other things"

realistically-

- not decide that what I'm really doing while reading something is highlighting and deleting it
    - that it would not wish to be restarted after an update
    - an even better spell check that can more easily decode my horribly mangled and misspelled words!
    - that it would recognize Portuguese more easily- it's NOT Spanish!!! Don't spell check it in Spanish! :steam:
    - That the keyboard had keys for letters in the Spanish and Portuguese alphabets that don't exist in ours- I have much better things to memorize than codes for how to type a tilde over my letters!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I also want to be able to surf the web by thinking.
    Wow! I'll bet that day will come in our lifetime.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    - that it would not wish to be restarted after an update...
    This made me chuckle!

MBTI
    INFJ

Self-cleaning. No pop-up ads! More email from INJ friends. [smile.]

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Achieve at least half of what Jaron Lanier thinks they should.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Email that auto-replies to forwards with a link to the the appropriate snopes article and instantly deletes the forward.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers