User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, one thing I'd like them to do is have a program that can act like a person convincingly, so that you could feel like you were interacting with people even if you don't have anyone to talk to. And so I can have another perspective on any situation readily available.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oooh- a program that I could bounce ideas off of would be awesome!

(good idea Athenian, since I just took a subpart of your idea that I would find ESPECIALLY useful! )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Email that auto-replies to forwards with a link to the the appropriate snopes article and instantly deletes the forward.
    Awesome!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Well, one thing I'd like them to do is have a program that can act like a person convincingly, so that you could feel like you were interacting with people even if you don't have anyone to talk to.
    Such a program already exists. I just heard about it on NPR. It's a scam that gets you to give out your personal ID information after making a convincing contact.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Email that auto-replies to forwards with a link to the the appropriate snopes article and instantly deletes the forward.
    You can do some of this with appropriate use of rules you set-up for your mail account. It depends how much you are willing to trust the automation.

I've never used it, since I seemed to have been fairly free of spam in my inbox. But I've heard great things about this thingy. It may help:
    MH & nmh: Email for Users & Programmers

Also, there is free initial code available for a web-crawler:
    Writing a Web Crawler in the Java Programming Language

And there is also cheap-labor available:
    Rent A Coder: How Software Gets Done -- The most completed software projects on the internet

So if you can specify exactly what you want and can pay for it, it can probably be done.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    hmmm.... not realistically-
    - make me tea and food
    Hmm...we have other things that can do these. We can always stick computers in them if you want. I think you may be surprised to find out how many processors are in your car alone.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    - play with the dog while I'm away at class
    - clean my house and do laundry
    - "other things"
    Maybe the Roomba could do these things?
    It depends on how easily amused your dog is, and what the "other things" are.

Just wanted to break the paradigm of a computer being the thing that sits on your desk or on your lap.
    They do a lot of different things, and even your PC is more than just your computer+software (though I always automatically replace "computer" with "information processor").

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Such a program already exists. I just heard about it on NPR. It's a scam that gets you to give out your personal ID information after making a convincing contact.

Jae Rae
    Well, I was thinking more along the lines of one that could have a conversation with me about any topic I chose and have realistic responses, rather that one that would try to talk me into giving it money. You know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Well, I was thinking more along the lines of one that could have a conversation with me about any topic I chose and have realistic responses, rather that one that would try to talk me into giving it money. You know what I mean?
    There is the classic line of research in A.I. based on the ELIZA program.

It was covered in all my A.I. classes in high school and undergrad. The last time was much more sophisticated where we gave our "ELIZA" a personality with interests, and some amount of knowledge representaiton and natural language parsing.

That was years ago. Of course, these days nobody uses the term A.I. seriously since it was over-hyped for so long.

Still, you could try out the bots. See how close they come to what you want.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INTP

Interactive Cybersex, nuff said
    Inno A Satana

I:11% Intuitive:88% Thinking:62% Perceiving: 67%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

A case that has specified spaces to place radiators, pumps and reservoirs.
    A case which is quiet without going to stupid extremes (ie is made out of metal thicker than note paper).
    A motherboard which instead of introducing new bottlenecks and limitations, is modular and configurable.
    Software that's written by people and not fricking one track minded programmers who think that three digits or some hexadecimal string is adequate as a means of reporting errors.
    Optimisations programs that actually work instead of mucking up your computer.
    A decent OS based on Windows XP which is actually more efficient and faster instead of coming with neon lights and surround sound ala Vista.
    A version of Linux not written for geeks with ten year old hardware.
    A computer system with an inbuilt second system which doesn't cost the earth and is integrated not just in the same case!

-How's that for a starter for ten?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?