• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Apple the new world leader in software insecurity

Daedalus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Apple has displaced Oracle as the company with the most security vulnerabilities in its software, according to security company Secunia. Over the first half of 2010, Apple had more reported flaws than any other vendor. Microsoft retains its third-place spot. Secunia has tracked security vulnerabilities and issues advisories since 2002, producing periodic reports on the state of software. Together, the top ten vendors account for some 38% of all flaws reported.

Though this does not necessarily mean that Apple's software is the most insecure in practice—the report takes no consideration of the severity of the flaws—it points at a growing trend in the world of security flaws: the role of third-party software. Many of Apple's flaws are not in its operating system, Mac OS X, but rather in software like Safari, QuickTime, and iTunes. Vendors like Adobe (with Flash and Adobe Reader) and Oracle (with Java) are similarly responsible for many of the flaws being reported.

To illustrate this point, the report includes cumulative figures for the number of vulnerabilities found on a Windows PC with the 50 most widely-used programs. Five years ago, there were more first-party flaws (in Windows and Microsoft's other software) than third-party. Since about 2007, the balance shifted towards third-party programs. This year, third-party flaws are predicted to outnumber first-party flaws by two-to-one.

Secunia also makes a case that effectively updating this third-party software is much harder to do; whereas Microsoft's Windows Update and Microsoft Update systems will provide protection for around 35% of reported vulnerabilities, patching the remainder requires the use of 13 or more updating systems. Some vendors—Apple, Mozilla, and Google, for example—do have decent automatic update systems, but others require manual intervention by the user.

Apple the new world leader in software insecurity

I thought ill post this article here after reading the Mac or PC thread :D

what is even more interesting is that after 2007 Microsoft seems to have cleaned up a lot of its mess....as the article states...only 1/3 of the problems found on pcs are the fault of Microsoft while 2/3 of it is the fault of third party software vendors.

this however, is not the case with apple.

the current ranking is

#1 Apple
#2 Oracle
#3 Microsoft

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
It just works, except when it doesn't.

I'm actually really pleased with the security on windows 7. I still don't trust IE but I've heard it's gotten better.

Daedalus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
It just works, except when it doesn't.

:D

I'm actually really pleased with the security on windows 7. I still don't trust IE but I've heard it's gotten better.

Same here
Even though i disliked Vista..i never had a crash..used it from the moment they released it, till the released of Win 7. Win 7, imho is awesome!

most of the BSOD, crashes and viruses are due to the negligence of the user. Especially true when people dont maintain their computer. its been 5 years since i had to re-install the os on my pc due to an un-recoverable crash.

i find it doubly interesting that even with all those 3rd party software and loose regulations MS has, they have less issues than the almost closed-market Apple.

one would expect them to have less issues given the fact how strictly they regulate their 3rd party software vendors

on a personal note, i would never use apple/mac cos it takes away from me the freedom to do anything i want with my pc. I decide what goes in..and how it goes in...its very hard to give up such a freedom when one gets used to it.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I had a couple of really bad blue screens on vista (and one on seven) but it was always when I was doing heavy video editing or photoshopping and usually after several hours of making the system run at full capacity.

G

Glycerine

But Macs are invulnerable to viruses!
haha I love when people say that. I was still very skeptical. That's why I put antivirus, BetterPrivacy, Web of Trust, McAfee Site Adviser (it's crap), Adblocker on my mac as a little preventative. :)