48 60.00%
  • S PC (all Operating Systems)

11 13.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234513 Last

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Is the poll about what we prefer or what we own?

I've always been a Mac. Last year I got my first PC laptop because I was kind of sick of being PC illiterate at work. I figured owning one would be the best way of teaching myself to be PC savvy. It's given me more grief in the past year than my G4 Cube gave me over the 10 years I used it, and really I'm just craving the easyness of Mac again.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    How lucky are you - Steve Jobs would have to be the hottest nerd on the planet! Great mind and vision. So what if he is picky! ...but I don't have to work with him.

Best I could do was a Cert. Developer at the end of the 80's. LOL I work, teach and develop online learning resources in a totally Mac environment (10 labs of 24 plus lecturer machines and overheads and a machine on each lecturer's desk).

How cool is it to have all of your creative SW provided and a tax deduction for your hardware - my work is also my play
    I'm far removed from Apple. I'm outsourced and there is another big company involved. Whose name doesn't matter right now. But it's a very shitty job. I'm gonna quit till the end of the month anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the iPad or the iPhone or even the iPod. But Mac OS is sublime.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Is the poll about what we prefer or what we own?

I've always been a Mac. Last year I got my first PC laptop because I was kind of sick of being PC illiterate at work. I figured owning one would be the best way of teaching myself to be PC savvy. It's given me more grief in the past year than my G4 Cube gave me over the 10 years I used it, and really I'm just craving the easyness of Mac again.
    I know exactly what you are saying - the admin PCs in the office are always doing strange things. Unfortunately the admin network cannot run at the same time as the Mac network on our Macs

If you are not similarly challenged you can always run Windows from your Mac as well as Mac OS??
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I'm far removed from Apple. I'm outsourced and there is another big company involved. Whose name doesn't matter right now. But it's a very shitty job. I'm gonna quit till the end of the month anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the iPad or the iPhone or even the iPod. But Mac OS is sublime.
    Sounds frustrating! I empathise.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I use, and have always used, PCs.

Macs are overpriced and locked down and the cult of personality that follows apple is disgusting.

When I got into video editing I used a G5 a lot because I liked Final cut pro, but I hated the computer itself. I like the Mac Pros for their hardware but I don't like the OS and I can build a comparable pc for cheaper. Since Adobe hit CS3 I haven't felt stuck with using FCP anymore either and so I have no interest in using a mac ever.

At the end of the day, I want a machine that does what I want it to do, and a Mac simply doesn't do what I want it to do at the price it's offered.

And windows crashed a lot back in the 95/98 days. It's much more stable. It's kind of telling that for all the bad press Vista got and for as much as Apple hammered Microsoft over it, Apple's PC market share barely moved.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    I use, and have always used, PCs.

Macs are overpriced and locked down and the cult of personality that follows apple is disgusting.

When I got into video editing I used a G5 a lot because I liked Final cut pro, but I hated the computer itself. I like the Mac Pros for their hardware but I don't like the OS and I can build a comparable pc for cheaper. Since Adobe hit CS3 I haven't felt stuck with using FCP anymore either and so I have no interest in using a mac ever.

At the end of the day, I want a machine that does what I want it to do, and a Mac simply doesn't do what I want it to do at the price it's offered.

And windows crashed a lot back in the 95/98 days. It's much more stable. It's kind of telling that for all the bad press Vista got and for as much as Apple hammered Microsoft over it, Apple's PC market share barely moved.
    It's not telling at all considering Microsoft's monopoly beforehand.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    If you are not similarly challenged you can always run Windows from your Mac as well as Mac OS??
    I considered that first. I don't actually need Windows on a home computer, I just wanted to be able to navigate it faster while at work- I was constantly asking ridiculously basic questions. I felt kind of like those apes in 2001: Space Odyssey, gathered around the big black rectangle all frightened and confused and whatnot. I was really hoping I'd get the hang of PC-troubleshooting well enough to where having switched to PC wouldn't even be an issue for me. I figured- since so many of my friends actually make their own PCs- it shouldn't be that difficult to learn the language quickly. But it's definitely an issue for me and probably always will be, too many years on a Mac first .
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

I'm an N - I've run Linux on my desktop for years. I ended up with a MacBook because I couldn't afford a laptop with Linux pre-installed on it just over a year ago. I'd have gone with an older laptop and put Linux on it but was enduring extreme stress at the time and that's a project that requires a working brain. Still, I've been quite happy with the wee Mac.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Macs are ridiculously expensive. You can build PCs with similar specs for less than half the price.

If you don't like Microsoft's monopoly, blame Apple. I think Microsoft's monopoly would start to crumble if Apple would allow manufacturers to sell Mac clones. But they don't and that limits Apple's market share because you can't go out and buy a "cheap" Mac. I'm sure Apple has its (financial) reasons, but their strategy does not benefit consumers.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Macs are ridiculously expensive. You can build PCs with similar specs for less than half the price.

If you don't like Microsoft's monopoly, blame Apple. I think Microsoft's monopoly would start to crumble if Apple would allow manufacturers to sell Mac clones. But they don't and that limits Apple's market share because you can't go out and buy a "cheap" Mac. I'm sure Apple has its (financial) reasons, but their strategy does not benefit consumers.
    This, Also Apple's basically ceded the computer market and has switched to focusing on the mobile device market, which they have a sizeable chunk of, though Android is making a dent in that.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche