• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mac or PC - N or S

Mac or PC - N or S

• N Mac (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • S Mac (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • N PC (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • S PC (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 11 14.1%

• Total voters

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is the poll about what we prefer or what we own?

I've always been a Mac. Last year I got my first PC laptop because I was kind of sick of being PC illiterate at work. I figured owning one would be the best way of teaching myself to be PC savvy. It's given me more grief in the past year than my G4 Cube gave me over the 10 years I used it, and really I'm just craving the easyness of Mac again.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
How lucky are you - Steve Jobs would have to be the hottest nerd on the planet! Great mind and vision. So what if he is picky! ...but I don't have to work with him.

Best I could do was a Cert. Developer at the end of the 80's. LOL I work, teach and develop online learning resources in a totally Mac environment (10 labs of 24 plus lecturer machines and overheads and a machine on each lecturer's desk).

How cool is it to have all of your creative SW provided and a tax deduction for your hardware - my work is also my play ;)

I'm far removed from Apple. I'm outsourced and there is another big company involved. Whose name doesn't matter right now. But it's a very shitty job. I'm gonna quit till the end of the month anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the iPad or the iPhone or even the iPod. But Mac OS is sublime.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Is the poll about what we prefer or what we own?

I've always been a Mac. Last year I got my first PC laptop because I was kind of sick of being PC illiterate at work. I figured owning one would be the best way of teaching myself to be PC savvy. It's given me more grief in the past year than my G4 Cube gave me over the 10 years I used it, and really I'm just craving the easyness of Mac again.

I know exactly what you are saying - the admin PCs in the office are always doing strange things. Unfortunately the admin network cannot run at the same time as the Mac network on our Macs :doh:

If you are not similarly challenged you can always run Windows from your Mac as well as Mac OS?? :cheese:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm far removed from Apple. I'm outsourced and there is another big company involved. Whose name doesn't matter right now. But it's a very shitty job. I'm gonna quit till the end of the month anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the iPad or the iPhone or even the iPod. But Mac OS is sublime.

Sounds frustrating! :( I empathise.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I use, and have always used, PCs.

Macs are overpriced and locked down and the cult of personality that follows apple is disgusting.

When I got into video editing I used a G5 a lot because I liked Final cut pro, but I hated the computer itself. I like the Mac Pros for their hardware but I don't like the OS and I can build a comparable pc for cheaper. Since Adobe hit CS3 I haven't felt stuck with using FCP anymore either and so I have no interest in using a mac ever.

At the end of the day, I want a machine that does what I want it to do, and a Mac simply doesn't do what I want it to do at the price it's offered.

And windows crashed a lot back in the 95/98 days. It's much more stable. It's kind of telling that for all the bad press Vista got and for as much as Apple hammered Microsoft over it, Apple's PC market share barely moved.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I use, and have always used, PCs.

Macs are overpriced and locked down and the cult of personality that follows apple is disgusting.

When I got into video editing I used a G5 a lot because I liked Final cut pro, but I hated the computer itself. I like the Mac Pros for their hardware but I don't like the OS and I can build a comparable pc for cheaper. Since Adobe hit CS3 I haven't felt stuck with using FCP anymore either and so I have no interest in using a mac ever.

At the end of the day, I want a machine that does what I want it to do, and a Mac simply doesn't do what I want it to do at the price it's offered.

And windows crashed a lot back in the 95/98 days. It's much more stable. It's kind of telling that for all the bad press Vista got and for as much as Apple hammered Microsoft over it, Apple's PC market share barely moved.

It's not telling at all considering Microsoft's monopoly beforehand.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you are not similarly challenged you can always run Windows from your Mac as well as Mac OS??

I considered that first. I don't actually need Windows on a home computer, I just wanted to be able to navigate it faster while at work- I was constantly asking ridiculously basic questions. I felt kind of like those apes in 2001: Space Odyssey, gathered around the big black rectangle all frightened and confused and whatnot. I was really hoping I'd get the hang of PC-troubleshooting well enough to where having switched to PC wouldn't even be an issue for me. I figured- since so many of my friends actually make their own PCs- it shouldn't be that difficult to learn the language quickly. But it's definitely an issue for me and probably always will be, too many years on a Mac first :cheese:.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm an N - I've run Linux on my desktop for years. I ended up with a MacBook because I couldn't afford a laptop with Linux pre-installed on it just over a year ago. I'd have gone with an older laptop and put Linux on it but was enduring extreme stress at the time and that's a project that requires a working brain. Still, I've been quite happy with the wee Mac.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Macs are ridiculously expensive. You can build PCs with similar specs for less than half the price.

If you don't like Microsoft's monopoly, blame Apple. I think Microsoft's monopoly would start to crumble if Apple would allow manufacturers to sell Mac clones. But they don't and that limits Apple's market share because you can't go out and buy a "cheap" Mac. I'm sure Apple has its (financial) reasons, but their strategy does not benefit consumers.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Macs are ridiculously expensive. You can build PCs with similar specs for less than half the price.

If you don't like Microsoft's monopoly, blame Apple. I think Microsoft's monopoly would start to crumble if Apple would allow manufacturers to sell Mac clones. But they don't and that limits Apple's market share because you can't go out and buy a "cheap" Mac. I'm sure Apple has its (financial) reasons, but their strategy does not benefit consumers.

This, Also Apple's basically ceded the computer market and has switched to focusing on the mobile device market, which they have a sizeable chunk of, though Android is making a dent in that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've owed both, I find that my mac has lasted years longer then any of my pcs. SO yeah it's more expensive in the beginning, but they have good support and I only need a new computer every 5-6 years. as with the PC I was replacing it every 2.actually I don't know when I'm getting a new computer I've had this one for 4 years and I just need to add more memory, and probably use it for another 4 years.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I've owed both, I find that my mac has lasted years longer then any of my pcs. SO yeah it's more expensive in the beginning, but they have good support and I only need a new computer every 5-6 years. as with the PC I was replacing it every 2.actually I don't know when I'm getting a new computer I've had this one for 4 years and I just need to add more memory, and probably use it for another 4 years.

Why are you replacing your computer every 2 years? Unless you're a gamer you don't need to and even then you just slowly change out parts.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
This, Also Apple's basically ceded the computer market and has switched to focusing on the mobile device market, which they have a sizeable chunk of, though Android is making a dent in that.
I think Google will eventually crush Apple in the mobile device market. I think they have a superior business model.

Edit: I also expect Google to challenge Microsoft in the PC OS market, eventually.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Why are you replacing your computer every 2 years? Unless you're a gamer you don't need to and even then you just slowly change out parts.

I could be exaggerating, but all I know is I've had less problems with computer crashes with a mac then I ever did with a PC

Usehername

On a mission
I'm on a PC desktop built by a nerd friend. I installed a Linux distro a few weeks ago and it's been going well. I've used a Toshiba laptop with XP in the past.

The Apple cult creeps me out. I'm intrigued by their mobile products, though, and am interested in the iPad for academic use--searching libraries and reading academic journals, etc. in coffee shops instead of lugging books. I imagine that will be another 1 1/2 years or so before it's commonplace enough to get going. Also, I won't buy it until it has flash. And I will probably prefer to use the Android equivalent that I'm sure will be there in another 18 months.

I think Apple is lame for being too cool for real buttons. I like real buttons. Practicality over aesthetics, please.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm on a PC desktop built by a nerd friend. I installed a Linux distro a few weeks ago and it's been going well. I've used a Toshiba laptop with XP in the past.

The Apple cult creeps me out. I'm intrigued by their mobile products, though, and am interested in the iPad for academic use--searching libraries and reading academic journals, etc. in coffee shops instead of lugging books. I imagine that will be another 1 1/2 years or so before it's commonplace enough to get going. Also, I won't buy it until it has flash. And I will probably prefer to use the Android equivalent that I'm sure will be there in another 18 months.

I think Apple is lame for being too cool for real buttons. I like real buttons. Practicality over aesthetics, please.

I'm waiting for Asus to come out with a nice tablet. The flash and lack of buttons are deal-breakers. That and the AT&T plan.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
PC. I like to tinker and tweak both hardware and software. I also run Linux on my laptop.

I also hate the Apple cult. Though when my sister gets a new macbook I'm going to steal her old one and try to learn the OS.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
PC because it takes more than pretty pictures to get me to pick something.

This. And what someone above me said about the Apple cult. I *can* use Macs, when I have to, but I prefer PCs.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I own an iMac and a MacBook. At work I have a PC.

Eh? What do you mean "real buttons?" :huh:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm on both. My macbook is nice and straight forward. It costs too much though and doesn't touch my PC for power. OSX is superbly slow for the hardware, but very efficient to use for general tasks. On the other hand I like windows 7, but not really its DRM which stops me recording TV shows to watch later (WTF???) and my linux is having catalyst driver issues (is clean 2D to watch TV too much to ask ATI?????).