11 13.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 41213141516 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I started with an MS-DOS 386 at 8. By the way, this doesn't mean I support Microsoft.
    I started on a DEC VAX and DEC PDP11/44 pre 1984
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I started on a DEC VAX and DEC PDP11/44 pre 1984
    I'm not sure if I'd even SEEN a computer back then!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I'm not sure if I'd even SEEN a computer back then!
    LOL - Mainframe and Mini with workstations, both of which are outstripped now in power, speed, capacity by the least of today's mobile phones I suspect.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

It is really a pain in the rear end but in the Graphics Industry the creative work is done on Macs but is then served via a PC based digital workflow to a digital platemaker or direct to a digital press.

From a training perspective, the majority of development tools for learning resources are Mac based bar one or two that are important, hence both platforms.

I guess it also means that those who wish to use Macs for their work or personal use can also have access to gaming on a wider basis. Who knows???

The Mac has always had the capacity to read PC files and formats and to write PC files and formats without additional hardware or software from day one so I guess it is an extension of that.

This is also one of the reasons that creatives have preferred Macs - an Annual report can be produced using original data from a PC based network's Finance programs, Spreadsheets and WP programs but also can use graphics and files directly from Mac platform.
    This is changing though. Adobe's creative suite is cross platform and there are a number of open source programs like Gimp and Audacity that are gaining in popularity. We aren't in the days of Avid or Siggraph anymore where you were tied to one specific computer for your creative needs.

Also with steam releasing on Mac, Macs can start to be used for gaming again. So dual booting on a Mac really doesn't make too much sense to me.

And you can get OSX to work on non-mac hardware (I got Leopard working on my Asus G2S a couple years back, never tried snow leopard.)
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    This is changing though. Adobe's creative suite is cross platform and there are a number of open source programs like Gimp and Audacity that are gaining in popularity. We aren't in the days of Avid or Siggraph anymore where you were tied to one specific computer for your creative needs.

Also with steam releasing on Mac, Macs can start to be used for gaming again. So dual booting on a Mac really doesn't make too much sense to me.

And you can get OSX to work on non-mac hardware (I got Leopard working on my Asus G2S a couple years back, never tried snow leopard.)
    Ahhh but you don't have to contend with the creatives the majority of whom won't consider working on PCs. There was an attempt in the late 90s, before Steve Jobs returned, to move away from Macs when John Scully nearly ruined Apple. Creatives around the world were resigning en masse.

There are still benefits in using Macs for creatives. Font management in particular is far more easily managed and accessed by keyboard modifiers rather than having to go to glyph menus. This is one of the main issues cited to me PLUS the ability to read cross platform files and formats.

Adobe's programs have been equivalent cross platform since the early 90's but as much as you and I might want to debate the issues, that is not going to be the catalyst for creatives to give up their Macs yet.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Ahhh but you don't have to contend with the creatives the majority of whom won't consider working on PCs. There was an attempt in the late 90s, before Steve Jobs returned, to move away from Macs when John Scully nearly ruined Apple. Creatives around the world were resigning en masse.

There are still benefits in using Macs for creatives. Font management in particular is far more easily managed and accessed by keyboard modifiers rather than having to go to glyph menus. This is one of the main issues cited to me PLUS the ability to read cross platform files and formats.

Adobe's programs have been equivalent cross platform since the early 90's but as much as you and I might want to debate the issues, that is not going to be the catalyst for creatives to give up their Macs yet.
    True enough, though Apples switch to on the mobile market might be such a catalyst. I've had friends already grumbling about the Final Cut rumors that it's going to get dumbed down to resemble something closer to iMovie. Adobe's not going to be the main change but if Apple and Adobe keep sparring and Adobe scales back their support (like not adding 64bit support for example) then it will have some effect.

Honestly I don't want Apple to screw over their creative users. I like the competition because it makes all creative software better in the long run. Premiere wouldn't be the program it is today if Final Cut wasn't there and they both forced Avid to change and become cheaper etc.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    True enough, though Apples switch to on the mobile market might be such a catalyst. I've had friends already grumbling about the Final Cut rumors that it's going to get dumbed down to resemble something closer to iMovie. Adobe's not going to be the main change but if Apple and Adobe keep sparring and Adobe scales back their support (like not adding 64bit support for example) then it will have some effect.

Honestly I don't want Apple to screw over their creative users. I like the competition because it makes all creative software better in the long run. Premiere wouldn't be the program it is today if Final Cut wasn't there and they both forced Avid to change and become cheaper etc.
    I couldn't agree more!!! Adobe InDesign and Illustrator would not be what they are if not for the original competition from Quark & Freehand - and Adobe's development of PostScript.

Look, despite the spats over Flash (and some of the IT guys at work say Apple is correct about its security, and that new web protocols address the lacks in Flash???), Adobe, Microsoft and Apple have always been necessary for each other but aggressively so.

It is that aggression that has driven the competitiveness to our benefit. We have all been speculating recently whether/when Apple might not release OSX for the PC platform
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    ENFJ

I don't know who said aesthetics were important about mac, but I own a mac and I don't even like Mac aesthetics. If I chose a computer solely on aesthetics, I would have a cute little red Acer netbook.

Then again, one thing I like about Macs are the keyboards, but I think the vast majority of everyone hates their "chicle" keyboard.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    I can think of four people right now who are dealing with random sut-downs on Windows PC's (well, one isn't anymore because she just went out and bought a new Windows computer).

I work with a group of people who all have Mac's and every one of them says they'd never go back to Windows. I've never known of a person who had a Mac who went back to Windows. Maybe that's anecdotal, but it's pretty convincing anecdotal evidence for me. If I could afford a Mac, I'd get one. Since I can't, I have Linux. I'm happy with it except for the few things it can't do because they require software that only runs on Windows or Mac.
    That's like asking someone who owns a Mercedes if he'd ever go back to a Ford. He probably wouldn't unless economic circumstances forced him to.

I'll never own a Mercedes either. Waste of money for me, but some people aren't so cheap.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's like asking someone who owns a Mercedes if he'd ever go back to a Ford. He probably wouldn't unless economic circumstances forced him to.

I'll never own a Mercedes either. Waste of money for me, but some people aren't so cheap.
    To continue the analogy, the Mercedes would also have no access to the engine and the only way you could get it fixed or changed is by taking it to a specialized mercedes mechanic. Also cupholders would be sold separately and cost a fortune.