Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by Blossom500 View Post
    Speak for yourself (lol) :steam:
    I will. I will own my nerdiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Thinker View Post
    Okay, one last post and then I'll try to stop. It's unwinnable anyway, and hence, a waste of my time.

Are you suggesting that it's my fault?
    I can't speak to a specific situation being "your fault", because I wasn't there, and obviously didn't see what happened. I'm speaking to my experience of having a PC that doesn't crash. You said you'd never seen anyone have a PC that hasn't crashed in 8 months, and you seemed to doubt this was possible. I'm sharing my experience, as you've shared yours, and I'm telling you that it's possible. That's all.

Why do you say that this is "unwinnable" as well as saying it's not an argument? You can't win or lose a discussion.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post
    You can't win or lose a discussion.
    Actually mac owners go down after about three hits from a unibody mac across the head.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I'm an S and I'm a PC.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTJ

Who are these PC users who have constant crashes?
    I can think of four people right now who are dealing with random sut-downs on Windows PC's (well, one isn't anymore because she just went out and bought a new Windows computer).

I work with a group of people who all have Mac's and every one of them says they'd never go back to Windows. I've never known of a person who had a Mac who went back to Windows. Maybe that's anecdotal, but it's pretty convincing anecdotal evidence for me. If I could afford a Mac, I'd get one. Since I can't, I have Linux. I'm happy with it except for the few things it can't do because they require software that only runs on Windows or Mac.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

If Adobe ever releases a version of its software that runs natively on Linux I'd switch over permanently.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

I'm sharing my experience, as you've shared yours, and I'm telling you that it's possible. That's all.

Why do you say that this is "unwinnable" as well as saying it's not an argument? You can't win or lose a discussion.
    Hmm... well said. You got me thinking. And good for you for pointing out the contradiction in my post.

I guess what I meant was that it had gotten to a point of subjective preference and bickering, and at that point nobody can be "right" or "wrong." We like what we like, and that's how it should be.

Frankly, I'm feeling a little embarrassed about the whole thing... I followed the thread for a while, trying to resist the temptation to get involved, until I felt there were too many false (in my opinion) statements about Macs, and more importantly, Mac users, for me to sit on the sidelines any more. I choose my battles carefully, but I do commit to them when the choice is made. :workout:

I wrote my original post with the intention of describing why I like the Mac better, but I ended up doing the very thing that caused me to get involved... making sweeping generalizations about "the other side" that invariably can be argued. I started off extolling the Mac's virtues, and ended up insulting the PC, and although unintentionally, PC users. I fell into the trap.

Over the years, I've gotten involved in a handful of platform wars in online discussions, and ended up feeling the same every time... silly.

Now if this had happened IRL, I would use my considerable charm and quick wit to end the thing amicably and go have a drink or two with all of you, but that's a little tough to do online.

And interestingly, since this is an MBTI-based forum, I displayed what the type descriptions say about INFPs -- that when stressed, we get emotional and sort of lose it. And I'm the poster child for INFP, I guess.

To me, the Mac just fits... top to bottom. I guess that's why there are two very different platforms, and two very different approaches to computing. So everybody can make a choice based on what feels right to them.

Don't get me wrong... I'm convinced after many years of using both that the Mac is far superior, but that certainly doesn't mean that everyone will agree with me, or even that I'm right. The simple fact is that I am emotionally invested in this platform, no matter how much I would like to think that I'm not.

The thing is (and for whatever reason), every time I use a PC, I feel instantly frustrated. It just seems like work to get the thing to work, rather than it allowing me to do my work. Make sense?

Being the idealist, I think how it "should be," and to me, that means Macintosh. I heard my boss actually kick his PC tower today cuz he got so frustrated with it, and I offered to give him my ThinkPad, just so I would NEVER have to use it again. My preference is that strong. He said he was getting a new one, and that I would have to "live with it sitting there holding my coffee cup." I figure it's wasting a square foot of my (real life) desktop, so it might as well be put to good use.

So, I became what offended me, and that seems to be a pattern for me. That's why I tried to get out the whole discussion, and that's what I meant by "unwinnable."

Anyway... it's all good. I'm happy with my choice, as are you, so how can that be bad?

Meanwhile, all the Sensors out there are like and , and all the NFP Mac users are out there either like... or :rolli: and here I am in the middle again.

(Well, at least that's how the whole thing is playing out in my half-drunk head. Loving this tasty little IPA from Charlottesville.)

And now I'm gonna either go back to making my short, warm, mushy (but sincere!) posts... or I'm gonna figure out how I can use even more emoticons in one sitting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Actually mac owners go down after about three hits from a unibody mac across the head.
    Literally laughing out loud.

Well-played, Pixel!

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I wrote my original post with the intention of describing why I like the Mac better, but I ended up doing the very thing that caused me to get involved... making sweeping generalizations about "the other side" that invariably can be argued. I started off extolling the Mac's virtues, and ended up insulting the PC, and although unintentionally, PC users. I fell into the trap.

Over the years, I've gotten involved in a handful of platform wars in online discussions, and ended up feeling the same every time... silly.

Now if this had happened IRL, I would use my considerable charm and quick wit to end the thing amicably and go have a drink or two with all of you, but that's a little tough to do online.
    You know, I could tell that your.... tack had changed during the discussion. It seemed like at first you were speaking from personal experience, then became more sweeping.

Anyway, is all good. I was also going to suggest "let's go have a drink".

Meanwhile, all the Sensors out there are like and , and all the NFP Mac users are out there either like... or :rolli: and here I am in the middle again.
    Naw, I hadn't busted out the popcorn yet, I was too busy getting into ESTJ mode. :workout:
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Right on, mnestic.

Love that avatar, btw. The "Big Ass Chain" cracks me up every time I see it.

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Right on, mnestic.

Love that avatar, btw. The "Big Ass Chain" cracks me up every time I see it.
    Thanks! I was thinking about changing it, but it IS fun.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ