First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    It's funny how much opinions can vary, because the huge number of configurations are exactly why I love Windows and Linux configurations, yet never even consider Mac an option for personal use.

Different strokes I guess.
    Exactly. Well-said.

Don't get me wrong... I definitely see the appeal of trying out different configs and getting in there and playing around to build a machine for different purposes. And if I was into that, I would obviously get a PC or a Linux box.

But the point I was trying to make is that since the software guys know exactly what hardware it will run on, and they have it there in the building with them, it obviously makes it easier to for them to make a stable OS and programs. And OS X/Final Cut Pro is definitely stable. Honestly, I beat it to death every day, and I can't remember the last time it crashed. I really can't. Apple's closed system works to my benefit in this case. Some people see that as a problem. I don't. I like it that way.

In fact, now that I think about it... I've had this MacBook Pro for 8 months now, and it has yet to crash. NOT ONE TIME. No data lost, no weirdness whatsoever. It just works. Now maybe there are some PC folks out there with the same experience, but I've never had that on a PC.

In fact... here's a true story, from today:

I woke up my ThinkPad and launched Firefox to make sure some code I was writing looked okay on the dark side (just kidding -- sheesh), and of course Adobe Flash came up and yelled at me to update it yet again (another security hole), so I did.

And not only did the installer say "update failed, critical error" or some crap like that, it actually crashed Firefox. I swear, not two minutes into the PC experience and it went down.

And yeah, it could be that I don't know enough to keep the thing running right, but we have an IT department for that. Not my job. Shouldn't be an issue. Not an issue on the Mac.

MBTI
    LoLz

Way to use isolated situations as an argument.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    Way to use isolated situations as an argument.
    Way to assume that it was "isolated."

Far from it, and that's one of the many reasons why I use a Mac, even when I'm given the choice of any system I want.

And it's not even an argument. An argument would imply that one of us has a chance of "winning."

We don't. You use yours, I'll use mine.

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Thinker View Post
    In fact, now that I think about it... I've had this MacBook Pro for 8 months now, and it has yet to crash. NOT ONE TIME. No data lost, no weirdness whatsoever. It just works. Now maybe there are some PC folks out there with
    the same experience, but I've never had that on a PC.

Who are these PC users who have constant crashes? I hear about them all the time from Mac enthusiasts, but this has not been my experience. I go months without a crash, largely because I don't have tons of bloatware and extraneous crap on my computer. There comes a time to blame the user instead of the system.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post

Who are these PC users who have constant crashes? I hear about them all the time from Mac enthusiasts, but this has not been my experience. I go months without a crash, largely because I don't have tons of bloatware and extraneous crap on my computer. There comes a time to blame the user instead of the system.
    Okay, one last post and then I'll try to stop. It's unwinnable anyway, and hence, a waste of my time.

Are you suggesting that it's my fault?

That the moment I opened my professionally maintained (by a fully-staffed IT department), corporate-networked-behind-a-firewall, no "bloatware," virus-scanned PC... that it immediately failed to do a basic upgrade?

Come on, give it up. You use yours, I'll use mine. I'm done until there's another intelligent response like the one from Pixelholic.

MBTI
    LoLz

Okay, one last post and then I'll try to stop. It's unwinnable anyway, and hence, a waste of my time.

Are you suggesting that it's my fault?

That the moment I opened my professionally maintained (by a fully-staffed IT department), corporate-networked-behind-a-firewall, no "bloatware," virus-scanned PC... that it immediately failed to do a basic upgrade?

Come on, give it up. You use yours, I'll use mine. I'm done until there's another intelligent response like the one from Pixelholic.
    You are right. It's unwinnable. What's the point in convincing someone of their failed logic? There's nothing to gain. Why shouldn't we ignore the experiences of the entire industry? Why should we look at all the contributing factors of the situation that led to the end result? I mean, it's so pointless.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Yeah... that's always the trade off isn't it? Fast codecs make big files, and codecs that make small files need crazy horsepower. Ever tried editing H.264 directly on the timeline? Yikes. (Although that's an intra-frame thing too, but I digress.)

And the FCP 6.01 update does edit AVCHD, albeit slowly. The great thing about FCP is all the real-time multi-stream smoothness, even with filters applied, but you have to use 422, 4444, DV, or HDV. The cool thing is though that the conversion to 422 is very fast in Apple Compressor, so it's not that big a deal if you have the drive space. And wow, once you're in 422-land, it's a joy!

Don't have a lot of experience with AVCHD though... I'm using a Canon XH-A1, so I'm still in the HDV world. Plus I've always been pretty old school about wanting to have tapes around as backup.

Changing that tune though... Looking forward to Canon's new full HD MPEG-2 tapeless camera. Gonna get that one -- love that Canon glass, although they seem to lag behind in other areas! Anyway, that new camera seems like the best of both worlds, and they are (finally) getting MPEG-2 to like like it's capable of looking. It can look GREAT, just not on DVDs.
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of HDV or Canon. I'm a Panasonic user (DVX to HVX to HMC 150 because I can't afford P2 workflow.) Premiere simply handles it better than FCP in my experience

In fact... here's a true story, from today:

I woke up my ThinkPad and launched Firefox to make sure some code I was writing looked okay on the dark side (just kidding -- sheesh), and of course Adobe Flash came up and yelled at me to update it yet again (another security hole), so I did.

And not only did the installer say "update failed, critical error" or some crap like that, it actually crashed Firefox. I swear, not two minutes into the PC experience and it went down.

And yeah, it could be that I don't know enough to keep the thing running right, but we have an IT department for that. Not my job. Shouldn't be an issue. Not an issue on the Mac.
    Safari crashes on me constantly. Quicktime's codec handling is terrible compared to other video players. The lack of real flash support has left me stranded when I'm trying to troubleshoot something, etc. Anecdotal stories are just anecdotes.

These are probably the same people who would have constant crashes or slowdowns on a Mac. I had a student who formatted her external drive into a Time Machine drive (since it prompts whenever you plug any drive in) and lost all of her video files because of it. I had another student who was wondering why his mac was slow. His hard drive had something like 8mb of space left on it. No amount of idiot-proofing is going to help some poeple.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

I'm 25 and I've never even used a Mac. They're probably awesome. I just haven't needed one bad enough to find out yet.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of HDV or Canon. I'm a Panasonic user (DVX to HVX to HMC 150 because I can't afford P2 workflow.) Premiere simply handles it better than FCP in my experience
    I had a freelancer come in with an HMC 150 and I was very impressed with the footage, and even moreso when he pulled that SD card out and I put it in my Mac. No real-time transfer. That was nice. Although typically I shoot indoors and capture in real-time, using the tape as a backup.

Like I said though... looking forward to tapeless with that new Canon. It will be nice to work in true 1080p and finally let go of HDV.

To be honest though, almost all of my work is for web delivery, so I typically shoot DV anyway. Our internal government sites are set up for a 4:3 aspect ratio, typically 320x240 or 640x480, so I enjoy the small footprint of the DV files.

Just got a hosting account with Sorenson 360 though, so I'll be using HD a lot more by next year.

MBTI
    ENFP

I'd wager that the people who are active on this forum are smarter and more tech-savvy than the general population.
    Agreed

Exactly. (Probably also nerdier. )
    Speak for yourself (lol) :steam:

:steam: Way to assume that everyone shares your priorities (and your aesthetic sensibilities!).
    Northing wrong with aesthetic sensibilities!