12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Arrow "Slowing aging with semen"

I'm not making this shit up.
    Well, it makes sense in terms of sexual competition, especially in non monogamous species to have ways to keep the semen alive longer while remaining mobile/fast to get the best ratio of survivors at 'the end of the road' and therefore more fecundity. While there's no incentive (well, more with a slow growing cultural social species such as humans but still relatively few) to hold aging in a population (in terms of natural selection).

So, yeah.

Hold your laughter. It's not the setup for a joke. Austrian researchers believe that a compound in human semen can have a dramatic impact on life span. Biochemists Frank Madeo and Tobias Eisenberg at the University of Graz led a team to test the effects of a substance known as spermidine. In yeast, spermidine was shown to increase life span by as much as a factor of four; in fruit flies, up to 30%; and in worms, up to 15%. When spermidine was applied to human immune cells, they too lived longer, with three times as many surviving after 12 days as in a comparison batch.

Spermidine works, the researchers show, by promoting the cellular process of autophagy — a kind of self-cleaning that, Eisenberg says, "removes cellular garbage such as clumped proteins or damaged or defective cellular organelles." Those things might otherwise harm the body.
    Slowing Aging ... With Semen - Health Checkup: How to Live 100 Years - TIME
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Do you rub the semen into your face or something? Sort of like a cleasning mask I suppose.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^Maybe you're supposed to drin - nevermind

Of course they would isolate the compound prior to putting it on the mass market for human consumption, although you men could use this little nugget of gold to your advantage :P
    The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. --A. Rand

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Grin View Post
    Of course they would isolate the compound prior to putting it on the mass market for human consumption, although you men could use this little nugget of gold to your advantage :P
    Oh, they'd probably find a way to produce it in recombinant bacteria or yeast or something. Don't get anyone's hopes up.

And, the effect seems to decrease with more complex organisms, so it may have to significant effect on humans at all. Slowing aging in a human being is a different matter from increasing the life span of a cell.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

It's kind of funny that this "comes" from Arnold Schwarzenegger's hometown of Graz, Austria.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Hey, this is why women statistically live longer.
    Well, at least those who swallow

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    eNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Why do I picture a scientist trying to convince his girlfriend to do certain things?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Why do I picture a scientist trying to convince his girlfriend to do certain things?
    "Hun, it's for my thesis! For SCIENCE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    It's kind of funny that this "comes" from Arnold Schwarzenegger's hometown of Graz, Austria.
    It's a satisfying to me as coming is...

[YOUTUBE="rfDwTNU6dzU"]Arnold Schwarzenegger - coming day and night [/YOUTUBE]

I remember reading about this bodybuilder that was worried about losing the little protein in semen. Funny.