esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Dopamine and MBTI

I watched this speech
    Michael Shermer: The pattern behind self-deception | Video on TED.com

and of course tried to connect it with typology theory.

So the question is would intuitives naturally produce more dopamine in their brain than sensors and what about right brain dominant people over left brain doms? And if so, are intuitives and the right brain dominants more likely to have personality disorders like paranoia and schizophrenia?
    Oh yeah?

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Hi Thea - this is an interesting question I have discussed with psychologists in the past - the types of mental illness appear to have been correlated to type by a number of researchers but I think the jury is still out. It does make a kind of sense though that the abstraction process of the Ns could be related to these problems.

A discussion I was involved in a few years ago posited that on a continuum, introspection and Judging would possibly throw up Autism spectrum disorders while on the extreme P side it would possibly be Schizophrenia then on the extraversion side, perhaps bipolar disorder on the P side and OCD on the extreme J side. This is quite a simplistic model to start with but there is further information on likely psychiatric disorders associated with type.

What interests me more is that ADD and ADHD, when we peel off the layers that are caused by poor nutrition and too many chemical additives, are likely to prove to be NPs and SPs being taught in a manner largely suited to the greater proportion of students - ISTJ. :rolli:
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes, I actually agree with autism I guess. Many INTJs on INTJ forum and here I think too have reported having an Asperger syndrome. And yes, i think the others you posted according to the theory seems logical too, unfortunately I don't have any good examples of it.
    I think ADD and ADHD is more of an ExxP thing, in general, but this again is just my empirical/inductive idea and I have no reliable, scientific basis on it.
    Oh yeah?

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by thea View Post
    Yes, I actually agree with autism I guess. Many INTJs on INTJ forum and here I think too have reported having an Asperger syndrome. And yes, i think the others you posted according to the theory seems logical too, unfortunately I don't have any good examples of it.
    I think ADD and ADHD is more of an ExxP thing, in general, but this again is just my empirical/inductive idea and I have no reliable, scientific basis on it.
    I once thought it was an ExxP thing too until the head of Psych. at one of the Universities here decided to tell parents living with ADD/ADHD in a group forum that Daydreamers ought also be medicated because they too were Attention Deficit!

I was too late to attend the forum but I was fuming the rest of my journey home and subsequently emailed him. He agreed to see me and when I told him I felt that we were medicating our future genius into mediocrity and then I asked why he thought that daydreamers should be medicated as well.

His answer was that they were too disorganised!!

This coming from a man in whose office every surface was covered with very precariously perched piles of papers - I was just gobsmacked
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Well yeu've stated NP's and ExxP's for ADD / ADHD...

I was diagnosed with ADHD quite awhile ago, when like 7 or something? I forget the exact year. Calendars and I aren't on speaking terms right now XD

But yeah, ENTP here, so it's possible. I'm not sure if it's directly related though, but it may be.

I would suggest the P portion, at the very least, is likely to be relevant. The J variant, is more likely to manifest as OCD, I would think. But, as with thea's comment, this is completely personal opinion unsubstantiated with a total lack of scientific data to prove such. I'd be curious to see if any studies had been done, however =3

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm actually pretty severely right brained according to the tests on that

and I'm a sensor....

in the poll we had here attached to that test it correlated most heavily that ExxPs almost all fell into the right brained category, regardless of S or N and IxxJs almost all fell into the left brained category regardless of S or N
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by thea View Post
    I watched this speech
    Michael Shermer: The pattern behind self-deception | Video on TED.com

and of course tried to connect it with typology theory.

So the question is would intuitives naturally produce more dopamine in their brain than sensors and what about right brain dominant people over left brain doms? And if so, are intuitives and the right brain dominants more likely to have personality disorders like paranoia and schizophrenia?
    OMG I just watched this yesterday!

*has nerdy subscription to TED on Youtube*

I wondered the same thing about Ns when it came to the 'patternicity' stuff. But then I'm strongly N and such a sceptic but so is my ISFJ Mum.

I don't know...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Hi Thea - this is an interesting question I have discussed with psychologists in the past - the types of mental illness appear to have been correlated to type by a number of researchers but I think the jury is still out. It does make a kind of sense though that the abstraction process of the Ns could be related to these problems.

A discussion I was involved in a few years ago posited that on a continuum, introspection and Judging would possibly throw up Autism spectrum disorders while on the extreme P side it would possibly be Schizophrenia then on the extraversion side, perhaps bipolar disorder on the P side and OCD on the extreme J side. This is quite a simplistic model to start with but there is further information on likely psychiatric disorders associated with type.

What interests me more is that ADD and ADHD, when we peel off the layers that are caused by poor nutrition and too many chemical additives, are likely to prove to be NPs and SPs being taught in a manner largely suited to the greater proportion of students - ISTJ. :rolli:
    Who needs money?
    Those who do not have it.

Who is compulsive about money?
    Those who have it too little or too much.
    Apropos who is compulsive about order?

The catalyst of a dichotomy is about the motive.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

and I'm a sensor....

in the poll we had here attached to that test it correlated most heavily that ExxPs almost all fell into the right brained category, regardless of S or N and IxxJs almost all fell into the left brained category regardless of S or N
    Quite right.
    I say the nail on the head.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

and I'm a sensor....

This's interesting, since I'm an EP that's LEFT brained... though from my father I did inherit a degree of ambidexterity, so I do have significant right brain capacity for certain tasks, but it's not the dominant side in most cases.