User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 20

  1. #1
    *hmmms* theadoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    586

    Default Dopamine and MBTI

    I watched this speech
    Michael Shermer: The pattern behind self-deception | Video on TED.com

    and of course tried to connect it with typology theory.

    So the question is would intuitives naturally produce more dopamine in their brain than sensors and what about right brain dominant people over left brain doms? And if so, are intuitives and the right brain dominants more likely to have personality disorders like paranoia and schizophrenia?
    Oh yeah?

  2. #2
    Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Hi Thea - this is an interesting question I have discussed with psychologists in the past - the types of mental illness appear to have been correlated to type by a number of researchers but I think the jury is still out. It does make a kind of sense though that the abstraction process of the Ns could be related to these problems.

    A discussion I was involved in a few years ago posited that on a continuum, introspection and Judging would possibly throw up Autism spectrum disorders while on the extreme P side it would possibly be Schizophrenia then on the extraversion side, perhaps bipolar disorder on the P side and OCD on the extreme J side. This is quite a simplistic model to start with but there is further information on likely psychiatric disorders associated with type.

    What interests me more is that ADD and ADHD, when we peel off the layers that are caused by poor nutrition and too many chemical additives, are likely to prove to be NPs and SPs being taught in a manner largely suited to the greater proportion of students - ISTJ. :rolli:
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

    "Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

  3. #3
    *hmmms* theadoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Yes, I actually agree with autism I guess. Many INTJs on INTJ forum and here I think too have reported having an Asperger syndrome. And yes, i think the others you posted according to the theory seems logical too, unfortunately I don't have any good examples of it.
    I think ADD and ADHD is more of an ExxP thing, in general, but this again is just my empirical/inductive idea and I have no reliable, scientific basis on it.
    Oh yeah?

  4. #4
    Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thea View Post
    Yes, I actually agree with autism I guess. Many INTJs on INTJ forum and here I think too have reported having an Asperger syndrome. And yes, i think the others you posted according to the theory seems logical too, unfortunately I don't have any good examples of it.
    I think ADD and ADHD is more of an ExxP thing, in general, but this again is just my empirical/inductive idea and I have no reliable, scientific basis on it.
    I once thought it was an ExxP thing too until the head of Psych. at one of the Universities here decided to tell parents living with ADD/ADHD in a group forum that Daydreamers ought also be medicated because they too were Attention Deficit!

    I was too late to attend the forum but I was fuming the rest of my journey home and subsequently emailed him. He agreed to see me and when I told him I felt that we were medicating our future genius into mediocrity and then I asked why he thought that daydreamers should be medicated as well.

    His answer was that they were too disorganised!!

    This coming from a man in whose office every surface was covered with very precariously perched piles of papers - I was just gobsmacked
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

    "Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

  5. #5
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Well yeu've stated NP's and ExxP's for ADD / ADHD...

    I was diagnosed with ADHD quite awhile ago, when like 7 or something? I forget the exact year. Calendars and I aren't on speaking terms right now XD

    But yeah, ENTP here, so it's possible. I'm not sure if it's directly related though, but it may be.

    I would suggest the P portion, at the very least, is likely to be relevant. The J variant, is more likely to manifest as OCD, I would think. But, as with thea's comment, this is completely personal opinion unsubstantiated with a total lack of scientific data to prove such. I'd be curious to see if any studies had been done, however =3

  6. #6
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,130

    Default

    I'm actually pretty severely right brained according to the tests on that

    and I'm a sensor....

    in the poll we had here attached to that test it correlated most heavily that ExxPs almost all fell into the right brained category, regardless of S or N and IxxJs almost all fell into the left brained category regardless of S or N
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  7. #7
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thea View Post
    I watched this speech
    Michael Shermer: The pattern behind self-deception | Video on TED.com

    and of course tried to connect it with typology theory.

    So the question is would intuitives naturally produce more dopamine in their brain than sensors and what about right brain dominant people over left brain doms? And if so, are intuitives and the right brain dominants more likely to have personality disorders like paranoia and schizophrenia?
    OMG I just watched this yesterday!

    *has nerdy subscription to TED on Youtube*

    I wondered the same thing about Ns when it came to the 'patternicity' stuff. But then I'm strongly N and such a sceptic but so is my ISFJ Mum.

    I don't know...

  8. #8
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Hi Thea - this is an interesting question I have discussed with psychologists in the past - the types of mental illness appear to have been correlated to type by a number of researchers but I think the jury is still out. It does make a kind of sense though that the abstraction process of the Ns could be related to these problems.

    A discussion I was involved in a few years ago posited that on a continuum, introspection and Judging would possibly throw up Autism spectrum disorders while on the extreme P side it would possibly be Schizophrenia then on the extraversion side, perhaps bipolar disorder on the P side and OCD on the extreme J side. This is quite a simplistic model to start with but there is further information on likely psychiatric disorders associated with type.

    What interests me more is that ADD and ADHD, when we peel off the layers that are caused by poor nutrition and too many chemical additives, are likely to prove to be NPs and SPs being taught in a manner largely suited to the greater proportion of students - ISTJ. :rolli:
    Who needs money?
    Those who do not have it.

    Who is compulsive about money?
    Those who have it too little or too much.
    Apropos who is compulsive about order?

    The catalyst of a dichotomy is about the motive.

  9. #9
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm actually pretty severely right brained according to the tests on that

    and I'm a sensor....

    in the poll we had here attached to that test it correlated most heavily that ExxPs almost all fell into the right brained category, regardless of S or N and IxxJs almost all fell into the left brained category regardless of S or N
    Quite right.
    I say the nail on the head.

  10. #10
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm actually pretty severely right brained according to the tests on that

    and I'm a sensor....

    in the poll we had here attached to that test it correlated most heavily that ExxPs almost all fell into the right brained category, regardless of S or N and IxxJs almost all fell into the left brained category regardless of S or N
    This's interesting, since I'm an EP that's LEFT brained... though from my father I did inherit a degree of ambidexterity, so I do have significant right brain capacity for certain tasks, but it's not the dominant side in most cases.

Similar Threads

  1. MMORPG's (WoW, Guild Wars, etc.) and MBTI types
    By Maverick in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 10:18 AM
  2. Smiling in Pictures and MBTI Type
    By thirtyfour in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 11:08 PM
  3. Eccentricity and MBTI
    By MerkW in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 04:21 AM
  4. Big 5 and MBTI type
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM
  5. Risk Tolerance and MBTI
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO