User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Changing an organisational hierachy is a bitch and if you have many parties involved cooking a bit of the main product, you have the classical miscommunication in parallel organized development, leading you to the point at which it is more work to figure out where things went wrong than to start all over.

If it's only magic that can help you, I'ld advise you to be honest with your customer and superiors and tell em about the flaws that cant be fixed, so you dont risk a lawsuit. You should at this point watch out for yourself, so you dont get dragged into taking responsibility for things other people have fucked up.

You should think about a quick master plan about where things can be wrong with the circuit within the limits of the things you actually can work on. And then allocate tasks to the particular member of your team, following the master plan that with the help of your team you can run some more tests on the chip.

In the end then you should give a detailed report on the tests you ran and either be able to have fixed some problems or tell that due to you not being able to change the hardware design, you couldnt pinpoint a special cause.

Especially with a thing like to keep a stable frequency in a ship, there are like a billion things that could have went wrong in the first place, which is like impossible to be solved in two weeks ( ranging from the material used, to magnetic distortions in the chip over hardware and software designs )

Your supervisiors shouldnt put you in a position like that, except they know you really can do magic.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Thanks for the input guys.

I have been collecting my own data and it is slow going...and I am only seeing some basic trends.

We have at this point managed to pull a couple of other people to help work on the problem.

The biggest problem is that the chips are not consistently getting to a particular state and passing the "checksum" of bits on the communication channel for an appreciable amount of time for a wide enough set of voltages and other settings.

We still have a little over a week to figure this stuff out.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

A window to the soul

Have you considered electromagnetic interference?

...just throwing that out there.

Indeed I have. In particular, there is a type of interference known as "crosstalk." I am very suspicious that we have a lot of it.

But I am not sure how to compensate for it, nor how to prove it (since I don't have access to an oscilloscope fast enough).

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Indeed I have. In particular, there is a type of interference known as "crosstalk." I am very suspicious that we have a lot of it.

But I am not sure how to compensate for it, nor how to prove it (since I don't have access to an oscilloscope fast enough).
    If it's crosstalk, then it's probably the filter from whot little I know on the matter. If yeur signal filter is built into the chip as a physical constraint, then yeu're pretty much screwed. If it's a process, it may be possible to correct the issue. Best to look there to start with if yeu're able to. I'd imagine yeu have several chips to work with as test subjects, so try removing the filter entirely, if that's an option, and see how it affects yeur results.

Unfortunately I only vaguely know the basic components there and whot they do, not how integrated they are, so I have no idea if that idea is even remotely possible to achieve or test.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    If it's crosstalk, then it's probably the filter from whot little I know on the matter. If yeur signal filter is built into the chip as a physical constraint, then yeu're pretty much screwed. If it's a process, it may be possible to correct the issue. Best to look there to start with if yeu're able to. I'd imagine yeu have several chips to work with as test subjects, so try removing the filter entirely, if that's an option, and see how it affects yeur results.

Unfortunately I only vaguely know the basic components there and whot they do, not how integrated they are, so I have no idea if that idea is even remotely possible to achieve or test.
    There isn't a physical filter that can be removed on the chips. But the chips have "equalization" that can be adjusted through software. Unfortunately, the equalization is lane by lane--nothing that takes information from all the lanes to cancel out cross talk. So you can only affect things somewhat indirectly.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    ENTP

Find a job that doesn't suck.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I'll simply comment on the (not normal) part: There isn't a single billionare that won't tell you...it wasn't how they handled the best of possible situations. It was in facing the worst and giving their best.

The success of the project doesn't depend on others. You're asking the questions, it depends upon you.

This is a rare opportunity for your finest hour.

No one else on the whole wide planet can give that to you.

Pick your players and forward a proposal.

March on!