45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 82.22%
  • No

8 17.78%
First 234

MBTI
    INTx

Approve for medical purposes, but I'd rather see advancement in genetics - organ cloning and/or regeneration.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm reading 'The Singularity Is Near' at the moment. Kurzweil seems a little overenthusiastic but it's hard to find fault in his reasoning, I'm convinced that these sort of technologies are coming sooner rather than later. It might seem a bit unnatural or un-human or icky to some people thinking about it now, but when the time comes and you have to make the choice between accepting these technologies and rejecting them and staying 100% 'human' I don't think there'll be many people opting for an early and unnecessary death.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I had a dream the other night about a mechanical exoskeleton that was controlled by the mind of a quadriplegic. When he woke up in the morning a machine would get him out of bed and put him into the mecha. Then later it got upgraded to an endoskeleton that was implanted over his muscles so that he could move again. Connected to the part of the spinal cord that still worked. It was a good dream.

So I think using bionics, when necessary, is good. But if they take over us it won't be so good. I think we'll still be human, even mechanical bits included. (Does an amputee consider himself less than human just because of his artificial limb?) But to be DEPENDENT on them when it's unnecessary would suck. For instance if you get bionic eyes when your real eyes are just fine. You'd be dependent on the company for upgrades and who knows what kind of unwanted crap will come with it. Like ads filtering in. Argh.
    Just because I'm an INFP doesn't mean I'm emo!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'm down, bring on the transhumanism!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    I envision in the future that robotics and technology will play a more and more important role in our society. We would one day intergrate technology(non-biological components) into our own bodies. Would make us less human?
    human mind robot body. sorta places you a little outside the human experience that many participate in, touch, smell, seeing,taste and sound. possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Do you support implanting machine parts into the human body to improve our abilities and performance, or do you oppose it? Would this move us more and more towards the Borg and less human?
    will technology homogenize the human experience, and take away our individuality making us borg like? good question. possibly
    legs and arms, fine but the brain? that is up to the individual.......could you imagine chatting with someone and seeing pop ups from visa or valtrex in your mind? i can see people taking liberties with advertising. maybe going back into your old memories and making their products glow brighter. imagine thinking about your moms final days, you and her but now suddenly in the corner, an extremely bright red can of pepsi and a bottle of mr clean. THIS MEMORY IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY PEPSI.

MBTI
    ENTP

Imagine your implant getting hacked.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Imagine your implant getting hacked.
    that sounds pretty interesting
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Two
    Socionics
    ENFp

As technology advances, I'd expect it to get smaller, more complex and more sophisticated until it rivals cells and 'life'. I'd argue we must integrate technology into ourselves as that's the only way to keep it human.

What would you prefer? A super-intelligent human, or a super-intelligent machine?

MBTI
    INTj

I am all for it as long as it is a voluntary thing, and I see it being very commonplace. Unfortunately, I'm certain that the technology will be used against people's wills, and not necessarily for their benefit.

As for making humans more cyborg-like or whatever, I think we are a century or two away from attaining significant technology in that regard, disregarding exogenous limiting of technological advancement.

I see control of dysfunctional organs happening within 50 years, given the simplicity of their neuronal control. Integrating chips with the CNS I think, if even possible, would take many, many centuries (nearing a millennium). Personally I think that humans are not intelligent enough to be able to ever manipulate the brain; the best we can hope for is just to fully understand how it works, which will be a feat on its own. I see artificial eyes as a very likely possibility though. The sensory aspect of the brain is not so much the problem in my opinion, but motor output is just way too complex. Even when improving human attributes becomes possible, there will many limitations. Like the mechanical limitations of increased strength on our skeletal systems, so no superstrength

And as for the hacking of the chips, I think with the future emerging of quantum computers, it will be an absolute impossibility to hack anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I thought this would be a hot or not poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz