First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

We already have pacemakers.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

In the future when this is more of a reality, I think 95% of this technology will be strictly medical, and 99% of people will willfully accept it to be implemented on them, if it improves their quality-of-life.

But that 5% will surely be sketchy. Tracking, data gathering, spying, even weapons. The private and public sector both, could abuse it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    I envision in the future that robotics and technology will play a more and more important role in our society. We would one day intergrate technology(non-biological components) into our own bodies. Would make us less human?

Do you support implanting machine parts into the human body to improve our abilities and performance, or do you oppose it? Would this move us more and more towards the Borg and less human?
    Our greatest invention was the printing press in 1440.

It eventually gave us universal literacy, and replacing the other senses, privileged the eye.

We make our tools and our tools make us.

My city, Canberra, for instance, was designed from the God's eye view.

But although Canberra was designed by the eye, it is now wired for the ear, for the only comparable invention to the printing press in 1440 was the invention of the electric telegraph in 1840.

And the electric telegraph, followed by the telephone, the radio, the television and now the internet, brings all the other senses into play.

So Canberra is a visual city morphing into an aural city.

So Canberra is morphing from a literate city based on print, to a spoken city based on the ear and the proprioceptive sense.

And the proprioceptive sense is our sense of dance.

So we started reading alone in Canberra and now we dance together in the streets.
    Last edited by Mole; 06-06-2010 at 09:14 PM.

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram

As a transhumanist I support it.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Very slippery slope.
    And why?

I am going to guess it has something to do with this.

I am not talking about medical uses but rather technology that enhances one's inherent abilities.

The slippery slope begins here.
    As with any new technology it's about who can afford it.
    Because it will be incredibly expensive then only wealthy people will be able to have it. The class gap this would create would be wider than any seen in human history. essentially it will create a new race.
    Can you compete with someone who has the Engineering implant if you don't?
    What about someone with night vision? or enhanced strength,speed and dexterity?

It's like steroid use in sports or university students doping up on Ritalin.
    It creates an uneven playing field. It diminishes the value of hard work and natural talent. Moralistically it's cheating.

The slippery slope is born due to Humans not being benevolent by nature, but rather selfish and self serving by nature.(not to be confused with good and evil).

MBTI
    ISFJ

Only nanotechnology that would either replace whatever was behind a certain bodily function (like stuff injected into bloodflow) or prosthetic limbs.

Nothing neuronal.

Call me silly but I believe it could very well grant us immortality (not invulnerability) one day.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I of course support the idea. I think it's a quite natural step in our advancement.

MBTI
    INFP

I found Ghost in the Shell quite an interesting take on what could happen.

The fusion of technology and the human body is inevitable. I am just curious about public reaction to it and the paranoia.

I think the most controversy arrives at the brain and neuroscience.

How would you feel if nanobots into your brain or they are used to modify your DNA structure? Or a chip is implanted into your brain so it can control what you think? Are we really ready for this kind of thing?
    Would it give the companies that manufacture this kind of technology too much power?

Even as I look foward to it, I would feel sort of afraid if something like this is being done to me.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Have you ever heard of Ray Kurzweil, he is an inventor and futurist who proposes that our society will reach a technological singularity by 2029. He proposes the idea that technological progress is exponential instead of the more "intuitive" linear view most people have of future progress, but he has his critics too.

I think the only informed people that would be totally against this homotechno transformation would be the neo-luddites and technophobes.