User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default Hallucinating after surgery

Tell me everything there is to know about hallucinating as a result of the side effects given to a person before, during, or even after surgery. What kind of drugs can cause hallucinations, how vivid can they be, and can they really drive a person to kill themselves. Seriously, this is important.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

You'll most likely be put under general anesthesia. With these drugs, hallucinations after you wake up from surgery are rare, and would be short-lasting. Plus you'd be too sedated to really care. And the kind of meds you might be given after surgery, like vicodin for pain, won't cause hallucination.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Well that just doesn't make sense then. Alright thanks. Hmmm.

edit: What about hallucinations from lingering effects of Morphine?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Tell me everything there is to know about hallucinating as a result of the side effects given to a person before, during, or even after surgery. What kind of drugs can cause hallucinations, how vivid can they be, and can they really drive a person to kill themselves. Seriously, this is important.
    This is not unheard of - SpringerLink - Journal Article

morophine can also cause this - Morphine Side Effects | Drugs.com

I would suggest talking to a medical doctor immediately and going to the ER if these hallucinations are currently happening.

If you're just looking for some general information on this I can probably do some research into this topic for you at a later time. My best friend is an MD, but I'm on vacation with him and we're at a NASCAR race right now so I don't think he'll have time do look into this any time soon. I also don't have access to my university's scifinder here so I can't read the data in that article for you, but if you or someone else has access to scifinder they can easily get the full paper.

Honestly though if someone is experiencing hallucinations I would suggest going to the doctor or at least phoning the ER and asking if you should come in (phoning them is at least free).

hopefully you find the articles useful. Good luck.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    This is not unheard of - SpringerLink - Journal Article

morophine can also cause this - Morphine Side Effects | Drugs.com

I would suggest talking to a medical doctor immediately and going to the ER if these hallucinations are currently happening.

If you're just looking for some general information on this I can probably do some research into this topic for you at a later time. My best friend is an MD, but I'm on vacation with him and we're at a NASCAR race right now so I don't think he'll have time do look into this any time soon. I also don't have access to my university's scifinder here so I can't read the data in that article for you, but if you or someone else has access to scifinder they can easily get the full paper.

Honestly though if someone is experiencing hallucinations I would suggest going to the doctor or at least phoning the ER and asking if you should come in (phoning them is at least free).

hopefully you find the articles useful. Good luck.
    Thanks, I'll read them articles and then get back to you. I don't want to push anyone out of their way to investigate.

And it's too late for that. Sorry to say..

MBTI
    ISFJ

My INTJ friend was given morphine once, when he had a back operation, and he had an out-of-body experience. He said it was cool though.

Personally have no experience with any kind of hallucination (aside from my intrinsically skewed perception of reality that is).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

So, what kind of medicine is given to someone after surgery? What kind of medicine would be effecting a person 5 days after back surgery?

MBTI
    INTP

So, what kind of medicine is given to someone after surgery? What kind of medicine would be effecting a person 5 days after back surgery?
    As far as I know no drug lasts that long. You should talk to your doctor.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Did you read my post?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Did you read my post?
    Yeah, I did. But is morphine the only thing they'll give you?