User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default Hallucinating after surgery

    Tell me everything there is to know about hallucinating as a result of the side effects given to a person before, during, or even after surgery. What kind of drugs can cause hallucinations, how vivid can they be, and can they really drive a person to kill themselves. Seriously, this is important.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  2. #2
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    You'll most likely be put under general anesthesia. With these drugs, hallucinations after you wake up from surgery are rare, and would be short-lasting. Plus you'd be too sedated to really care. And the kind of meds you might be given after surgery, like vicodin for pain, won't cause hallucination.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Well that just doesn't make sense then. Alright thanks. Hmmm.

    edit: What about hallucinations from lingering effects of Morphine?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Tell me everything there is to know about hallucinating as a result of the side effects given to a person before, during, or even after surgery. What kind of drugs can cause hallucinations, how vivid can they be, and can they really drive a person to kill themselves. Seriously, this is important.
    This is not unheard of - SpringerLink - Journal Article

    morophine can also cause this - Morphine Side Effects | Drugs.com

    I would suggest talking to a medical doctor immediately and going to the ER if these hallucinations are currently happening.

    If you're just looking for some general information on this I can probably do some research into this topic for you at a later time. My best friend is an MD, but I'm on vacation with him and we're at a NASCAR race right now so I don't think he'll have time do look into this any time soon. I also don't have access to my university's scifinder here so I can't read the data in that article for you, but if you or someone else has access to scifinder they can easily get the full paper.

    Honestly though if someone is experiencing hallucinations I would suggest going to the doctor or at least phoning the ER and asking if you should come in (phoning them is at least free).

    hopefully you find the articles useful. Good luck.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    This is not unheard of - SpringerLink - Journal Article

    morophine can also cause this - Morphine Side Effects | Drugs.com

    I would suggest talking to a medical doctor immediately and going to the ER if these hallucinations are currently happening.

    If you're just looking for some general information on this I can probably do some research into this topic for you at a later time. My best friend is an MD, but I'm on vacation with him and we're at a NASCAR race right now so I don't think he'll have time do look into this any time soon. I also don't have access to my university's scifinder here so I can't read the data in that article for you, but if you or someone else has access to scifinder they can easily get the full paper.

    Honestly though if someone is experiencing hallucinations I would suggest going to the doctor or at least phoning the ER and asking if you should come in (phoning them is at least free).

    hopefully you find the articles useful. Good luck.
    Thanks, I'll read them articles and then get back to you. I don't want to push anyone out of their way to investigate.

    And it's too late for that. Sorry to say..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    My INTJ friend was given morphine once, when he had a back operation, and he had an out-of-body experience. He said it was cool though.

    Personally have no experience with any kind of hallucination (aside from my intrinsically skewed perception of reality that is).

  7. #7
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    So, what kind of medicine is given to someone after surgery? What kind of medicine would be effecting a person 5 days after back surgery?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  8. #8
    Just a statistic rhinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    So, what kind of medicine is given to someone after surgery? What kind of medicine would be effecting a person 5 days after back surgery?
    As far as I know no drug lasts that long. You should talk to your doctor.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    So, what kind of medicine is given to someone after surgery? What kind of medicine would be effecting a person 5 days after back surgery?
    Did you read my post?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Did you read my post?
    Yeah, I did. But is morphine the only thing they'll give you?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 02:21 PM
  2. After Humanity
    By kuranes in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
  3. [NF] NF after a broken relationship?
    By sakuraba in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 06:42 PM
  4. Split-brain surgery--video showing the effects
    By spirilis in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
  5. VFrog Surgery
    By labyrinthine in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO