User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 14

  1. #1
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default Internet privacy

    What the internet knows about you.

    Shocked? I was, even though I already knew it was possible and fairly easy to trace someone's browsing behaviour if you really wanted to bother, this is the first time I read that it's possible for any site to check what your browsing history is. I now set my firefox to delete browsing history every time I close the program. I also disabled the 'visited links' option, and just for the occasional emergency I installed videlia's TOR & Torbutton (though I'll keep it disabled most of the time).
    (removed)

  2. #2
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Thanks for the pointers. I have been hearing some chatter about facebook's invasion of peoples internet privacy but was not clear on the extent.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  3. #3
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Hmmm. This thing didn't know shit about me!

    I'm not super worried about my internet privacy. But there's a great free program called CCleaner that erases all internet, browser, application, and windows data you leave behind. I use it mostly just because it speeds up the computer.

  4. #4
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    This site reads stuff that your computer gives it permission to see. Little Snitch went crazy when I clicked on this link, telling me that the site was trying to request info multiple times. I denied it access, nothing came up.

  5. #5
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    it listed 9 sites for me.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  6. #6
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    This site reads stuff that your computer gives it permission to see. Little Snitch went crazy when I clicked on this link, telling me that the site was trying to request info multiple times. I denied it access, nothing came up.
    Is it good? I should use it.

  7. #7
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Is it good? I should use it.
    It can be annoying because it pops up every time some site requests info from your computer and it happens a surprising amount. Much more than I ever would have thought. But then you can deny, allow once or allow forever. I think it's great. But I think it's Mac only, not sure though.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Hmmm. This thing didn't know shit about me!

    I'm not super worried about my internet privacy. But there's a great free program called CCleaner that erases all internet, browser, application, and windows data you leave behind. I use it mostly just because it speeds up the computer.
    CCleaner isn't actually a privacy program, but yes, it has the added benefit of cleaning up your browsing history. I mainly like the registry cleaning tool and the startup tool, because it's difficult finding out which things to remove manually without messing your computer up (in other words, it's an easy way to speed up your computer )

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    it listed 9 sites for me.
    It only lists what you've got in your browsing history, and then it is set to only see what sites you've been on out of the top 5000 or top 20000 sites on the web. However the algorithm can easily be changed to check the top 10.000.000 sites computers are fast enough nowadays. I reckon more sites would show up if they did it this way.

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    This site reads stuff that your computer gives it permission to see. Little Snitch went crazy when I clicked on this link, telling me that the site was trying to request info multiple times. I denied it access, nothing came up.
    Yeah, it's easy to secure you for this type of scanning, took me about 1 minute following the directions from the site. However, the default settings of most internet browsers will allow this site to work it's algorithm and figuring out what sites you've got in your history.
    (removed)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Synapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    INFp
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    It only listed popular sites, aww, and I was interested to see their analysis of me. But yeah as you say the frequency could be altered which wouldn't be as cool. Which reminds me there is this one that does it too, I'm less fussed by it even though I probably should be.

    Mike On Ads

    That says that the likelihood of you being FEMALE is 71%
    Likelihood of you being MALE is 29%

    Checks browsing habits apparently, ha.

    Yeah but I do have firewalls and window washer and such that tells me what is going on so at least I'm informed.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ObeyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    573
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

    Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

    Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

Similar Threads

  1. The house voted to wipe away fcc landmark Internet privacy protection
    By jcloudz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 04-08-2017, 01:29 PM
  2. Free speech, internet trolls, modern misogyny, privacy, anonymity, and cyber-bullying
    By iwakar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 09:05 AM
  3. minors on the internet
    By labyrinthine in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 09:56 AM
  4. Kama Sutra Positions for Internet Writers
    By sdalek in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO