First 1234 Last

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Technically Victor could be randomly using Latin words interspersed with English, in which case he would be correct since 'ad hominem' translates as 'to the person' so he could be just saying it is a 'personal attack'. He never said it was a fallacy.
    Actually, I believe "ad hominem" translates into, "argument towards the person".
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Technically Victor could be randomly using Latin words interspersed with English, in which case he would be correct since 'ad hominem' translates as 'to the person' so he could be just saying it is a 'personal attack'. He never said it was a fallacy.

Come to think of it, technically speaking, the question about medicine could have been just a random general query about Victor's health, and whether he was taking any kind of pharmacuticals to ease whatever problem he might have had. The word "medicine" is just a synonym for any kind of pharmacutical drug. He never actually said he was using the expression perjoratively.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yep... lasers coming through your faucets really CAN set you off your rocker can't they?

and if you continue using the words ad hominem attacks you're just furthering your stereotype, dahling
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Smile

A Utility provides me with water. And a Utility provides me with electricity. And now a Utility is rolling out light.

Quite soon coherent light, laser light, will be connected directly to my house.

We can feel an electric current but we can see light. So all I need is a hologram machine to see you in the round. You would be like a moving sculpture of light.

There is something magical about light. We see it in a sunset, in another's eyes or simply at the movies as that great beam of light hits the screen in front of us.

And light is part of our mythos when we speak of the Enlightenment.

Fortunately my Government seeks the greatest good for the greatest number, so not only will light be provided to my home but to every home in Australia.

The roll-out has already started in Tasmania and we are looking for 8,000 more technicians for the rest of Oz.

But probably the most interesting thing is that we don't know what the effect will be of connecting every home in Australia to coherent light.

Who knows?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

If you switch off your TVs receiver and let it show only white noise, you see in that moment, in a wider sense of definition, the light of the cosmic background radiation hammering thru the tubes of your television with around 60 particels per second.

Thats cool isnt it ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    There is something magical about light. We see it in a sunset, in another's eyes or simply at the movies as that great beam of light hits the screen in front of us.
    The idea of something travelling at ridiculously high speed, that is both a particle and a wave but has no mass, and can interact as both a wave and particle is mind blowing. Light is probably the most purest form of energy you can find (apart from maybe space?), it makes sense to use it as a means of transfering data.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If you switch off your TVs receiver and let it show only white noise, you see in that moment, in a wider sense of definition, the light of the cosmic background radiation hammering thru the tubes of your television with around 60 particels per second.

Thats cool isnt it ?
    Except that we block off that signal because it's just an annoying noise ... Hey, how does background radiation come about? I think it was produced by the big bang... There was more to the story...
    5 3 9

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Light is probably the most purest form of energy you can find (apart from maybe space?), it makes sense to use it as a means of transfering data.
    How odd we would describe light as transferring data. We might as well say a sunset is transferring data, or the light in our lover's eyes is transferring data, or that the light on a movie screen is merely transferring data.

We could say we are having a conversation or say we are merely transferring data.

And I think it is the 'merely' that gives the game away. 'Transferring data' is in fact pejorative. It is putting down magic. It hates the magic of light and turns magic into 'transferring data'.

'Transferring data' is something a depressive would say. It depresses us. It saps our spirit. It fits us for a boring job of transferring data, when we could be having a conversation, or sculpting in light, or discovering the unknown.

'Transferring data' immures us in a cubicle entering data into the keyboard.

'Transferring data' is part of the authoritarian, literate world - the linear sequential world. Whereas, to our eyes, light happens all at once. The speed of light is so fast, we can't even see it, yet it enables us to see everything else.

Light burst forth from the dark universe about 13.7 billion years ago, and it has been travelling ever since, right to our very eyes, where it makes itself at home.

No wonder the Australian Government sees it appropriate to bring light to every Australian home.

Contemplating the transfer of data fills my soul with a deep effulgence!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Perceive my question as you wish, Victor. I shan't and don't want to alter your perception of myself either.

Secondly, ad hominem attacks = logical fallacies specifically designed to break down an opponents position in an argument; ad hominem attacks do not = insults, the two are different.

You are perceiving my comment as an insult. Blah, I'm not going to discuss this further. I have better things to do than play word/forum chess.
    Are you the guy who thinks god is an intj?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Actually, I believe "ad hominem" translates into, "argument towards the person".
    That wouldn't be the first time someone has incorrectly tried to correct me by misreading the first paragraph of a wikipedia article.

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post

Come to think of it, technically speaking, the question about medicine could have been just a random general query about Victor's health, and whether he was taking any kind of pharmacuticals to ease whatever problem he might have had. The word "medicine" is just a synonym for any kind of pharmacutical drug. He never actually said he was using the expression perjoratively.
    Yes, there is that remote possibility. However, if you observe their patterns of behaviour, I think you'll find that my interpretation of Victor's meaning is much more relatively likely than your interpretation of MagnificentMind's.

ie.
    Victor using words out of context to create new meaning (note: the entire pretext of this thread)
    MagnificentMind coincidentally and unrelatedly developing a concern about someone's mental health while trying to correct them.