User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 32

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    I'm still waiting to hear any application for this beyond what genetic engineering can already do.

  2. #22
    Energizer Bunny Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear any application for this beyond what genetic engineering can already do.
    it's kind of like making artificial diamonds
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    it's kind of like making artificial diamonds
    If artificial diamonds could already be made, that is.

    It's not like they made a life form from scratch, not even close, so it has the same weaknesses that genetic engineering has had for a while.

  4. #24
    Energizer Bunny Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    If artificial diamonds could already be made, that is.
    Synthetic diamond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    It's not like they made a life form from scratch, not even close, so it has the same weaknesses that genetic engineering has had for a while.
    What is 'from scratch'? Atom creation is an extremely taxing process, but not impossible.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    It was an addition to your simile, not a reference to reality.

    It would be like making artificial diamond if artificial diamond was already made regularly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    What is 'from scratch'? Atom creation is an extremely taxing process, but not impossible.
    What they did was what genetic modification can already do, except they did it in fewer steps.

    They did not make the code itself or the cell (or the chemicals, but that is less important). They copied the code of an already genetically altered organism, managed to "persuade" a near identical organism to rewrite its DNA with what is essentially the same DNA.

    If one could make a code or cell from scratch, then new applications would really be mind-boggling. Until then, let those scientists says whatever it takes to get more research money. Meanwhile other scientists are making far greater leaps towards making truly beneficial new forms of life.

  6. #26
    Energizer Bunny Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    It was an addition to your simile, not a reference to reality.

    It would be like making artificial diamond if artificial diamond was already made regularly.
    "A fourth method, treating graphite with high-power ultrasound, has been demonstrated in the laboratory, but currently has no commercial application."

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    What they did was what genetic modification can already do, except they did it in fewer steps.

    They did not make the code itself or the cell (or the chemicals, but that is less important). They copied the code of an already genetically altered organism, managed to "persuade" a near identical organism to rewrite its DNA with what is essentially the same DNA.

    If one could make a code or cell from scratch, then new applications would really be mind-boggling. Until then, let those scientists says whatever it takes to get more research money. Meanwhile other scientists are making far greater leaps towards making truly beneficial new forms of life.
    I'm sure the first houses looked like caves, too.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  7. #27
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    It won't be long before scientists create Brundle Fly!

    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  8. #28
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    It won't be long before scientists create Brundle Fly!

    Such sad, pretty eyes...

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    The first few times I saw this thread I misread "Manmade" as "Marmalade"

  10. #30
    Senior Member Daedalus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    The first few times I saw this thread I misread "Manmade" as "Marmalade"
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37
    ______________________________________


    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Similar Threads

  1. Sum up each personality type in one sentence GO!
    By KarenParker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 10-20-2017, 11:54 AM
  2. Woman could face up to 5 years in prison for encouraging fight
    By Savage Idealist in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 08:11 AM
  3. Future Meet-up + chit-chat Session, in LA.
    By justadbag in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM
  4. [NF] Defining Moments in the life of an NF
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 10:27 PM
  5. Pick up groups in MMORPGs (or just WoW and guild wars)
    By Zergling in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 01:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO