• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music and the Heart.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
:headphne: I was listening to the radio and someone said that the most soothing music has an average beat of the heart. So I wondered if this could influence our taste of music. I mean not everyone has the same heart beat, because we all have different metabolism. We would hear different beat during resting position and those who are more active would prefer to hear beats that are faster because that is when they feel good/alive/awesome (faster beats, because the heart beats faster). Now I know that we can't hear our own heart beat regularly because we are so used to it. But, if you check there is a vein which pulses near each ears that we cannot hear regularly. With that, we might be constantly hearing our beats but we just don't notice. So I thought that our taste in music might depend on the beat of our heart duing activities we feel good/alive/awesome/inspired because the brain might interpret that beat as a sign to release chemical that makes us feel good. Thoughts?

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Music of the heart?

I had a friend in high school (let's name him Shawn for the sake of respecting privacy):) who used to look so shy. Anyone who saw him would've thought he was this mellow pooh-bear, honey eating, life is so grand kind of dude.

Anyway- to get to the point with pulse rate and listening to music, quite the contrary with Shawn.

One day, he decided to join a band, and wrote a song- gave me his cd. To my surprise, he was the lead singer, and in his heavy medal music, he was screaming into the mic. Not much like your usual, timid, rollie polly Shawn, but lets just say, if anyone heard his music, they would've thought his heart rate would've caused him to fall over into a seizure. Lots of anger. But, it was cathartic for Shawn. lol :D

I think listening to relaxing music may have some correllation to brain wave patterns, and not as much as with heart rate? Although, I do think that music from the heart is what connects us universally- it's the beats and jingles that reaches to the depth of our souls that words alone cannot describe- so I do think that there is power when it comes from the soul.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Music of the heart?

I had a friend in high school (let's name him Shawn for the sake of respecting privacy):) who used to look so shy. Anyone who saw him would've thought he was this mellow pooh-bear, honey eating, life is so grand kind of dude.

Anyway- to get to the point with pulse rate and listening to music, quite the contrary with Shawn.

One day, he decided to join a band, and wrote a song- gave me his cd. To my surprise, he was the lead singer, and in his heavy medal music, he was screaming into the mic. Not much like your usual, timid, rollie polly Shawn, but lets just say, if anyone heard his music, they would've thought his heart rate would've caused him to fall over into a seizure. Lots of anger. But, it was cathartic for Shawn. lol :D

I think listening to relaxing music may have some correllation to brain wave patterns, and not as much as with heart rate? Although, I do think that music from the heart is what connects us universally- it's the beats and jingles that reaches to the depth of our souls that words alone cannot describe- so I do think that there is power when it comes from the soul.

Hmm, I could have explained that better, hehe. What I meant was since a person is soo use to listening to their own heartbeat he or she no longer notice it. So when a person is enjoying an activity, he or she hear those beats, but since that person would be concentrating on the activity he or she would not be paying attention to his or her heart beats. However, those heart beats would still be there albeit unnoticed. So I thought, when a rhythm that closely resemble the rate which a person heart beats whenever that person is doing something he or she enjoys, that type of rhythm would sound enjoyable to that person.

It's kind of like an experiment a person did in dog behavior in which the person would ring a bell before giving food to the dog. He would ring a bell whenever he would give food to the dog. Eventually whenever the dog hears a bell, the dog would react by having increase saliva in the mouth because the dog was expecting to get food.

So I thought, if a person hear a music with the same beat as the heart of the person whenever that person is doing activities that he or she enjoys (sport, reading, etc), that music would sound appealing because that person is hearing that same beat from his or her heart whenever he or she is doing something fun. So naturally, that person would react by enjoying the sound of the beats because it's the same beats he or she hear whenever he or she is enjoying an activity.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
You would probably find binaural beats interesting ...

Binaural beats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a beginning ...

Thanks!! I will read more about it as soon as I have time. I've read the wikipedia page (I only trust wiki to give me a overview...I will have to go to the library to get some more info), but i'm unfamiliar with soundwave and frequency so some of it was unclear. I will have to go to my university's library to get more info :).

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
I do at times hear my heartbeat, but don't think this theory applies for me...I like pretty much the same beat all the time - fast paced Christian rock/pop whether I am running or sitting at my computer :)