• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which e-reader should I get

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am one of the few INTPs who is pretty crappy when it comes to technology. Regardless I do a fair amount of research and writing in my work and technology makes it less impossible for me to accomplish.

I was approached by a sales associate at Barns and Noble pitching the relatively new ereader the "nook" the device itself looked a little funky but it seemed pretty cool with the Wifi and free 3G connectivity.

I know there are few other competing ereaders out there (i.e. Kindle, Sony Touch etc..) I want the most for my money and don't want to be stuck with the Betamax of ereaders. Any suggestions/recommendations about any brand or ereaders in general.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I would make sure there isn't a huge difference when it comes to ebook store pricing and what have you, unless they're interchangeable.

The nook seemed a bit better to me than the kindle, or you could also just get an iPad if you're a Mac psycho.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks I think the Ipad is a bit more than I need (and have a bad habit of losing smaller stuff and ipad would cost me more) and I already have an iphone. I tend to be leaning toward the nook at the present. It appears to be both compatible to my iphone and it uses Google's Android operating system which although im not sure exactly what good that will do me sounds impressive/steadfast.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a Sony PRS-505, and I love it.
It's definitely a no-frills reader - you can't connect to the internet, no fancy formats etc. All it does is display text files (.doc, epub and PDFs), but again, I love it. I bought it in January and have used it almost every day since.
Probably one of the cheapest readers too. I'd just say, go for a 6" reader. It's really much larger compared to 5".

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Why not just read on the iphone? I'm not sure exactly how that works but can't you get books in pdf? I keep thinking I need to look into this at some point rather than buying a kindle (or whatever I would buy)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a Sony PRS-505, and I love it.
It's definitely a no-frills reader - you can't connect to the internet, no fancy formats etc. All it does is display text files (.doc, epub and PDFs), but again, I love it. I bought it in January and have used it almost every day since.
Probably one of the cheapest readers too. I'd just say, go for a 6" reader. It's really much larger compared to 5".

Thanks a lot! I will seriously look into that model.

Why not just read on the iphone? I'm not sure exactly how that works but can't you get books in pdf? I keep thinking I need to look into this at some point rather than buying a kindle (or whatever I would buy)

As a matter of fact that was my original game plan when I got the iphone. The screen is still uncomfortably small for my purposes. I am not thrilled with the app I have for reading/search compared to what I have seen in other ereaders. If the iphone was even just an inch bigger with an app with more user friendly features (not to mention a stronger battery) I would be sufficiently satisfied.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Spamtar........as evidence that you are not the most technically retarded INTP, do you miss the feel of a real book?

Anyone else too.

For me, I think part of the reading experience is holding and flipping through paper pages.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yes, there is definitely something about a paper book.

LucrativeSid

I've been thinking about getting an e-reader, too. I currently use an old Dell Pocket PC to read e-books sometimes, but only out of necessity. It's old and heavy and sometimes there are formatting issues.

My dad reads e-books on his iPod touch. That's the only reason he bought it. He thinks it's ideal and I kind of agree. An iPod touch is cheaper than a Kindle or Nook and it does a lot more. Hard drive space won't be a problem. And you can read just about any e-book format on an iPod touch, including Kindle, so you won't ever have to worry about selection or anything.

So the real questions are how is important is screen size and electronic ink to you? I've never seen electronic ink in person, and I'm sure it's cool, but I don't think it's THAT important. So what if you can read a Kindle in sunlight without glare? You can read an iPod touch in the dark because it's backlit.

Some people think e-ink is easier on the eyes, and I'm sure it is, but I don't mind reading on regular back-lit screens at all. You can adjust the light levels and colors of just about every device.

As for screen size, the iPod touch seems plenty big enough. You can change the text size, and since you're scrolling as you go, it really doesn't matter how many words fit on the screen at a time. It's actually more seamless to scroll and read on an iPod touch, where only two paragraphs fit on the screen at time (for example), than it is to read on a real book because with a real book you have to deal with the weight of the book and you have to physically turn the pages.

Based on my own experience with the Pocket PC and iPod touch, I think an iPod touch is great for reading e-books. They are also handy in many other ways and cheaper than the other devices.

If I had to get a product that was designed solely for reading e-books, I'd go with a Kindle. I'd love to have one. I just don't know if I'd buy one.

Whatever you do buy, let us know how it works out for you.

LucrativeSid

Oops, I didn't read your other posts in this thread. You already have an iPhone and it didn't work well for reading? Hmm, I wonder if the newer iPod touchs are any different. Have you tried Kindle for iPhone?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
why not just buy a mini laptop?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It may be a more individual thing with me as I read slower and stare harder at the print than most (and believe that I might have a touch of dyslexia which doesn't help). I have a bit of difficulty reading from the laptop (as opposed to paper books which I am still nostalgic about i.e. the smell and feel). I would like to do some serious business related research reading and annotating with the device as well as pleasure reading.

The iphone although OK for reading Alice in Wonderland on the train is less than ideal for me. Regardless of the kindle light app or no. (although it is admittedly easier for than reading off of computer or laptop screen)

If I had to do it all over again I would just have gotten a cheap cell phone and an ipad or nook. I do like the e-ink as it is much easier on my eyes.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why not just buy actual books? Or even better, borrow them from the library! :holy:
I know, I'm so smart. Nobody could have possibly thought of this.

:cool:

LucrativeSid

Why not just buy actual books? Or even better, borrow them from the library! :holy:
I know, I'm so smart. Nobody could have possibly thought of this.

:cool:

Regular books have their place.

But e-books are usually cheaper and you can buy them and download them instantly. If you read a lot, e-books are the way to go. I wish you could get e-books from the library... then I'd be there every day.

Beorn

Permabanned
Woot has sony pocket e-readers on sale today for $110 plus $5 shipping.

Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM)

Edit: frankly I don't understand why one would buy an e-reader. I've always presumed that half the point of owning books was so that you could display them in your home implying to visitors that you are a smart and well read person.

If you want an ereader to read trashy romance novels... I can understand that.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^ THANKS BEEFEATER! Wow, thats a really good deal. I was gonna get a Nook but...

Its less for me about pleasure reading and more about work related research where I have a hard time reading with extended reading on the computer screen. I like that as well as ePub compatable were I can check out ebooks from my library it also works with Word (which Nook doesn't as of now) which is the format which most of my research.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm a sucker for a good deal (and Word compatibility) I took the plunge and purchased Sony PRS-300BC Digital Reader Pocket Edition. Silver from the Woot sale Beefeater posted. My heart was captured by the Nook but my pragmatic side chose the PRS-300BC.

Its funny that I am noticing how TypoC's influence is affecting me irl.

Thanks everybody especially Beefeater! I will post back to give my review on the product after I get and use it to see if I made the best choice for me.

:)

Beorn

Permabanned
Thanks everybody especially Beefeater! I will post back to give my review on the product after I get and use it to see if I made the best choice for me.

:)

Don't thank me until you've got it in your hands and are satisfied with it... nonetheless you're welcome.

You''re a lawyer right? Do you plan to use it for reading briefs, cases, and internal documents from client files?