• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Our sun is special

Is it?

• Yay

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 58 75.3%

• Total voters

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting how we would be able to adapt to our Earth with no atmosphere and boiled->evaporated oceans.

2% is 1,860,000 miles.

That is closer...but how about farther away?

But of course. Without it there would not be life on Earth. We are as yet to see another solar system which harbours a planet as our own. It could be argued that it is the whole of our solar system which is unique but it would not detract from our sun being special.

We can't exactly travel all around the universe. I think the circumstances are quite perfect and special, however I do not believe that its composition/way it will die/etc is anything extrordinary.

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Nu! (Nono, it's Ni)
Why? Because objectively, there is NO
reason to believe that's it's different from the yea
how many other yellow stars out there.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
As far as we know, most of the stars are not being worshipped as a god. Ours is/was. Wouldn't that make it special?

Fecal McAngry

:heart:

"Just that," said the fox. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world . . ."

-Saint-Exupéry​
I know an INFJ who loved that book so much he had a poorly-drawn fox tattooed on his arm.

It looks more like an anteater...

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, we use our word "sun" to describe stars which have similar attributes. So in our conception, our "sun" is the model for every sun there is.

Even if it stands out by its mediocrity, I'd say that still makes it somehow special ;)

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I was watching a (crappy) made for TV movie named SUPERNOVA the other day... and got into a discussion with my BF about it since I was explaining the sun's too tiny to nova, let alone supernova. He was like wth the sun is huuuuuuuuuuge!

Sooooo

pic1_antares_betelgeuse_aldebaran_regel.jpeg

That shut him up pretty fast XD

Same thing goes for the sun being "unique".

It's semi rare, but not that rare, there's lots of stars out there similar in size, density, and heat output as the sun.

Consider it this way...

Our sun is one star in a solar system. There are billions of stars in the milky way. There are billions of galaxies as well. The sun itself isn't particularly special, honestly, moreso the fact that our planet just HAPPENS to be at 'just that right distance' from it for its' properties to support liquid water is moderately rare, astrologically speaking.

Of course, even by those standards, the calculation which factors in everything still estimates roughly 3million inhabited planets in the milky way alone, so go figure.

This's with factoring out having the right type of star/sun, the right distance, the right planet type, the right conditions for water to form, the removal of planets that won't actually create life despite the ideal conditions, and those that are too young to support such yet.

So yeah, we're looking at like 0.000001% of planets in the galaxy and still comes out that high.

Why are we special again?

Even if we assume religious overtones of christianity's "god made us!", he still made the angels first on another world before us, so we're not even special there.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was watching a (crappy) made for TV movie named SUPERNOVA the other day... and got into a discussion with my BF about it since I was explaining the sun's too tiny to nova, let alone supernova. He was like wth the sun is huuuuuuuuuuge!

Sooooo

pic1_antares_betelgeuse_aldebaran_regel.jpeg

To be fair, some of those are red supergiants
But that doesn't detract from the idea of our sun being small :cheese:

Rigel is really cool... I don't remember a thing about blue supergiants from astro :\

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As far as we know, most of the stars are not being worshipped as a god. Ours is/was. Wouldn't that make it special?

Nope, not as far as its physical attributes go.

That is a fine example of people thinking it is special because we revolve around it.

Well, we use our word "sun" to describe stars which have similar attributes. So in our conception, our "sun" is the model for every sun there is.

Even if it stands out by its mediocrity, I'd say that still makes it somehow special ;)

I thought it was really, really average?

Anyway, it is a model because it is is so close to us, and we and our ancestors have only been staring at it for the last 37 million years.

Mole

Permabanned
Our sun is special 'cause it's ours. And we are special, and so is our sun.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Our sun isn't really spectacular when you compare it to other celestial bodies. We're just anthro-centric creatures and want to feel special so we give it special significance. It's special only in the sense that we fall within the goldilocks region of it for life to exist.

Mole

Permabanned
Alleluia!

The Sun was our God for Millennia. We worshipped the Sun. We worshipped the Sun, the bringer of light after hiding in the dark overnight and avoiding the dark predators, our God showed their shinning face to us in the warm sunshine.

And Jesus, as you probably notice, has a halo behind His head. The halo is the halo of the Sun. So Jesus is the latest reincarnation of the Sun God.

So we still worship the Sun, the bringer of life and light. And every day the Sun dies, just like Jesus. And just like Jesus is resurrected the next morning. Alleluia!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting how we would be able to adapt to our Earth with no atmosphere and boiled->evaporated oceans.

2% is 1,860,000 miles.

That is closer...but how about farther away?

It's an absolute value he's using, doesn't matter closer or further away.

By the way, the eccentricity of the Earth's orbit is around 1.7%; which means, annually, our distance changes by about 3.4% - I'm still breathing and taking hot showers...

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
The sun, more than most tangible objects, is worthy of worship and human sacrifice, but I don't believe it to be particularly mighty on any cosmic scale.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
from the omniscient point of view of a dominant Ne thinker, our sun is NOT special. that's like saying one normally shaped, sized, produced, and configured sphere of hot gas out of a trillion, at least, is special.

but on the other hand, it is ours like someone said...so in that respect, I guess it can be considered special.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Given such a small number (a trillion) and such variance though, it would not be a stretch to say that given the precise composition, such a star is unique. It is, however, relatively insignificant in comparison to some of the more spectacular stars.

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
In terms of size, what it is made of, etc

I was recently (try a couple minutes ago) in a debate on whether or not it is. Someone is having that fantasy that it is something special...when it isn't. I don't really know how to prove it isn't haha

It really is not special at all; the only stars less special are K-class and M-class stars (each being more common by an order of magnitude in that order.) In fact, in terms of 'friendliness' or life, K's are better than G's (though G's are obviously good enough, hehehe.) Still, G's aren't exactly common, but they are not uncommon either, and the stick around for a reasonable amount of time, thus being semi-easy to find.