First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by tenINsFJ View Post
    Interesting how we would be able to adapt to our Earth with no atmosphere and boiled->evaporated oceans.

2% is 1,860,000 miles.
    That is closer...but how about farther away?

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    But of course. Without it there would not be life on Earth. We are as yet to see another solar system which harbours a planet as our own. It could be argued that it is the whole of our solar system which is unique but it would not detract from our sun being special.
    We can't exactly travel all around the universe. I think the circumstances are quite perfect and special, however I do not believe that its composition/way it will die/etc is anything extrordinary.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Nu! (Nono, it's Ni)
    Why? Because objectively, there is NO
    reason to believe that's it's different from the yea
    how many other yellow stars out there.
    INTP,
    Neutral Good/Lawful Good even split. 5w4 sp/sx melancholic/supine, even split. Yes, I stole this method of placement from black cat.

MBTI
    ENTP

shit, i didn't read the OP.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

As far as we know, most of the stars are not being worshipped as a god. Ours is/was. Wouldn't that make it special?
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post

"Just that," said the fox. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world . . ."

-Saint-Exupéry
    I know an INFJ who loved that book so much he had a poorly-drawn fox tattooed on his arm.

It looks more like an anteater...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Well, we use our word "sun" to describe stars which have similar attributes. So in our conception, our "sun" is the model for every sun there is.

Even if it stands out by its mediocrity, I'd say that still makes it somehow special
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I was watching a (crappy) made for TV movie named SUPERNOVA the other day... and got into a discussion with my BF about it since I was explaining the sun's too tiny to nova, let alone supernova. He was like wth the sun is huuuuuuuuuuge!

Sooooo

That shut him up pretty fast XD

Same thing goes for the sun being "unique".

It's semi rare, but not that rare, there's lots of stars out there similar in size, density, and heat output as the sun.

Consider it this way...

Our sun is one star in a solar system. There are billions of stars in the milky way. There are billions of galaxies as well. The sun itself isn't particularly special, honestly, moreso the fact that our planet just HAPPENS to be at 'just that right distance' from it for its' properties to support liquid water is moderately rare, astrologically speaking.

Of course, even by those standards, the calculation which factors in everything still estimates roughly 3million inhabited planets in the milky way alone, so go figure.

This's with factoring out having the right type of star/sun, the right distance, the right planet type, the right conditions for water to form, the removal of planets that won't actually create life despite the ideal conditions, and those that are too young to support such yet.

So yeah, we're looking at like 0.000001% of planets in the galaxy and still comes out that high.

Why are we special again?

Even if we assume religious overtones of christianity's "god made us!", he still made the angels first on another world before us, so we're not even special there.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I was watching a (crappy) made for TV movie named SUPERNOVA the other day... and got into a discussion with my BF about it since I was explaining the sun's too tiny to nova, let alone supernova. He was like wth the sun is huuuuuuuuuuge!

Sooooo

To be fair, some of those are red supergiants
    But that doesn't detract from the idea of our sun being small

Rigel is really cool... I don't remember a thing about blue supergiants from astro :\
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    As far as we know, most of the stars are not being worshipped as a god. Ours is/was. Wouldn't that make it special?
    Nope, not as far as its physical attributes go.

That is a fine example of people thinking it is special because we revolve around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Well, we use our word "sun" to describe stars which have similar attributes. So in our conception, our "sun" is the model for every sun there is.

Even if it stands out by its mediocrity, I'd say that still makes it somehow special
    I thought it was really, really average?

Anyway, it is a model because it is is so close to us, and we and our ancestors have only been staring at it for the last 37 million years.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Last edited by ThinkingAboutIt; 06-09-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added link
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.