First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Edit: Actually, scratch that! The big toe is the source of faith, obviously.
    Great. And I am such a klutz, I keep stubbing mine.

ps. If you'd care to make a cogent argument, I'd enjoy reading it. (Either that, or I guess I should visit the INTPc version of this thread.) This thread seems more focused on sharing people's personal opinions rather than making any sort of substantiated case. Just a different focus, I guess.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Great. And I am such a klutz, I keep stubbing mine.
    Ignore me. I am just in a strange mood with a low tolerance to bad argument. In truth, most are not bad arguments per se, but fairly typical and standard arguments, both thoughtful and considered. They're just stupid to me. They remind me of an old me, and he was stupid, to me, anyway.

Edit: I am feeling very confrontational, and am trying to control myself (remember INTPC a while back when I was... well... harsh with everyone? Like that).
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I didn't make an argument. I was just commenting that the preceding arguments were very bad, and whether I made an argument, good or bad, would be irrelevent.

Edit: Actually, scratch that! The big toe is the source of faith, obviously.
    Funny you should mention it - one of my big toes staged a coup just yesterday, but said treasonous action was contained by an extra pair of socks.

Take that, cosmos.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ignore me. I am just in a strange mood with a low tolerance to bad argument. In truth, most are not bad arguments per se, but fairly typical and standard arguments, both thoughtful and considered. They're just stupid to me. They remind me of an old me, and he was stupid, to me, anyway.
    Yup, I know. (Not about you, of course... just about me.)

Edit: I am feeling very confrontational, and am trying to control myself (remember INTPC a while back when I was... well... harsh with everyone? Like that).
    No need to apologize, I get in grouse mood as well... and when you do it, then I don't have to.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hmm... let me elaborate on mine again.

Faith is the condition of believing in something without evidence. Belief without evidence is based either on fear, discipline, or choice. Fear, discipline, and choice are known to be related to conscious processes in particular areas of the brain. Fear to the amygdala, and discipline/learning to the cerebral cortex. Choice is the phenomena we haven't isolated yet, therefore it is likely the focus of the query. We know that faith is a conscious choice, and that conscious choices are somehow made in the brain. Thus the brain is the source of faith in as much as faith is conscious and observable. However, this observation doesn't preclude the existence of a soul, which would theoretically have control over the brain's function, and thus still be the source not only of faith, but of all conscious choice and free will as well. If the soul exists, it could be said to exist on a different plane of existence, and that while the brain is definitely the source of faith on the physical plane of existence, it may or may not only be relaying/conveying the will of the soul. This can not be shown one way or the other.

What did you think? I was just bored, so I decided to refine my idea.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Thus the brain is the source of faith in as much as faith is conscious and observable. However, this observation doesn't preclude the existence of a soul, which would theoretically have control over the brain's function, and thus still be the source not only of faith, but of all conscious choice and free will as well. If the soul exists, it could be said to exist on a different plane of existence, and that while the brain is definitely the source of faith on the physical plane of existence, it may or may not only be relaying/conveying the will of the soul. This can not be shown one way or the other.
    Very well defined! I agree with this, and this seems to be the most encompassing perspective. I suspect this is similar to the perspective taken in The Spiritual Brain, which was suggested as a relevant book by someone on INTPc.

This leads to further things to ponder. If the spiritual (possibly through the "soul") acts on the material brain, what is the mechanism of this interaction? Is it biochemical, electrical, magnetic, or quantum? Or maybe this is being reductionistic and the spiritual acts on the material brain psychologically through intuition? And, maybe the biological effect of this is that modules (functionally related, interconnected clusters) of neurons act as the "receptor" for spiritually-originating perception.

If such a method of spiritual perception evolved, what was its purpose? If such a method of spiritual perception was created, what was its purpose?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Because you have started with the premise that the mind is no more than the interaction of neurons in the brain, you have arrived at the conclusion that "justice" is a concept that depends completely upon the interaction of neurons in the brain.

It's a Skinneresque tautology. Is your premise proven?
    of course my premise isn't proven. and you're right, i am a behaviorist. but my logic is sound at least

do you want to challenge behaviorism? if so, how? i'd definitely like to defend it if necessary.

i always love a good philosophy discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    do you want to challenge behaviorism? if so, how? i'd definitely like to defend it if necessary.
    That's too easy. Just cite any other branch of psychology which explains things better than behaviorism. For instance, how does behaviorism explain that it takes longer for us to process information in a list of 10 items versus a list of 3 items assuming the same reward?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Is the brain the source of faith?
    Well if you agree that you can only have Faith when you are alive, then yes brain is the source of Faith.

Open the Notepad and type "God will give me a car" and then save it and check the size of it. May be 1kb.

Then open the notepad again and type "I am gonna leave the room and go to work. Today, i am gonna make $200 and I am gonna put $150 in a saving account to buy a car.." and write everything you do every other days until you saved up enough money to buy a car. When you are done check the file size. Let say 20MB.

If you see the brain as a computer hard drive, then you will see how much "space and processes" it used to buy that car.

Faith is like a 1KB of contents in your brain. Less knowledge. Less use. Less work done.

If you can see what the brain is doing and what it has in it with brain imaging, then you will see a brain of a person with "Faith" is similar to a dead brain.

Afterall, why use a computer if you're just gonna write "God will do this assignment for me". Even if you use it, it just gonna be as new as it was when you bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post

Can brain imaging prove or disprove that the brain is the source of faith?
    If you can find a huge difference between the brain images of Dalai Lama and Albert Einstein, then yes.
    "Here I am! Now what are your other two wishes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Maha Raj View Post
    Faith is like a 1KB of contents in your brain. Less knowledge. Less use. Less work done.

If you can see what the brain is doing and what it has in it with brain imaging, then you will see a brain of a person with "Faith" is similar to a dead brain.

Afterall, why use a computer if you're just gonna write "God will do this assignment for me". Even if you use it, it just gonna be as new as it was when you bought them.
    Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Maha Raj View Post
    If you can find a huge difference between the brain images of Dalai Lama and Albert Einstein, then yes.
    We might have a few confounding variables in this study....

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.