User Tag List

123 Last

Default Your favorite science

Which one is it?

Why are you fascinated by it?

Would you consider pursuing it as a career?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

My favorite science is Biology; specifically Ecology. I did get a degree in it, but switched into it halfway through my sophomore year so I only had time to get the bare minimum needed to graduate with the degree, and wasn't able to take all the 300 level courses I would have enjoyed.

I am fascinated by it because I love and treasure the world around me and its complexity, and I want to save it, but know it's beyond my ability.

My 'problem' with loving the sciences was that I DO love the material and theory of it, so I wanted a degree in it (and couldn't think of anything I'd rather major in); however, I HATE controlled experiments and labwork. Hate them; so boring. So I'd make a horrible scientist, even though I enjoy the subject matter. It's why I didn't pursue a masters in it, and one of the reasons why I didn't actively seek jobs in the field. I didn't want to spend my life collecting soil samples, or monitoring field sites, to create reports that are ultimately ignored by the administration or other entities. Oops...pessimism just escaped out of me. I also think I have too much of an emotional investment in ecological stuff -- career-wise, I know it would cause me a lot of pain to watch/document/report about the stuff that I care so much about.

Also, the reality of the job market in the field - lots of people wanting the jobs, few jobs for the picking - was something I ultimately didn't want to tackle.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Which one is it?

Why are you fascinated by it?

Would you consider pursuing it as a career?
    Right now? It would be Psychology.

I'm interested because I'm fascinated by people's behavior, and I want to understand the things that make people behave the way they do, and what can be done to teach them to behave in ways that are more beneficial/less destructive to themselves and those around them.

I'm thinking about doing so, actually.

MBTI
    WOLF

Economy. It's more of a love-hate relationship though. I studied economy for a few years, but around here you have to be pretty good at math to get a decent degree. I suck at math. But I enjoy reading some theory, provided there isn't too much calculus or some pesky integrals in it.

Oh, and it fascinates because you can learn so much about behaviour and because you can stuff practically anything into an economic model. It's interesting to scale down the world and even out all the bumps. I'd probably really, really love mathematics if I was any good at it.
    Last edited by Vortex; 12-17-2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: addition

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm an economics major but I find economics not to be exact enough, there is a lot of indeterminacy and experiments are not repeatable. Except this, it's very interesting. I especially like it when it's built upon axiomatic-mathematical systems where everything can be deduced from a few premises. This way the testing can occur on multiple steps and deductions can be double-checked with empirical evidence.

My favorite has always been physics but for various reasons I didn't pursue a degree in it. If I were able to land in a job that gave me enough time to do so, I would enjoy getting a second degree in physics. It's always been my passion.

Vortex: it's interesting that the reason why you like economics is exactly the reason why I dislike it, and vice versa [basically, the fact that you can incorporate everything into an economics model [even though there are some pretty darn good econometric methods now]] Which branch of economics did you like most? Personally I go crazy for game theory, whereas I don't really like macroeconomics.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm a bio major (my specialization is physiology). Right now my plan is to become a researcher, most likely in the field of medical research.

Biology fascinates me because it's so complex and seemingly random, yet manages to work somehow. I'm enjoying learning about what makes things work.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

hmmm... my first replies would be social sciences, but all of my hard science friends always tell me that those aren't real sciences and such

I actually really like astronomy! I love to go outside and look at stars and I took astronomy for my science credits here! (and as a kid I'd sit in church and stare at astronomy books! )

I'd never make a career out of it because I'm horrible at math- I succeeded in the class because my lab partner was a math major who didn't trust me with numbers!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Astrophysics. There's so much mystery within it. It's where science fiction is born.

EDIT: And, of course, I enjoy criminology. It's basically an excuse for criminal behavior.

MBTI
    WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm an economics major but I find economics not to be exact enough, there is a lot of indeterminacy and experiments are not repeatable. Except this, it's very interesting. I especially like it when it's built upon axiomatic-mathematical systems where everything can be deduced from a few premises. This way the testing can occur on multiple steps and deductions can be double-checked with empirical evidence.

My favorite has always been physics but for various reasons I didn't pursue a degree in it. If I were able to land in a job that gave me enough time to do so, I would enjoy getting a second degree in physics. It's always been my passion.

Vortex: it's interesting that the reason why you like economics is exactly the reason why I dislike it, and vice versa [basically, the fact that you can incorporate everything into an economics model [even though there are some pretty darn good econometric methods now]] Which branch of economics did you like most? Personally I go crazy for game theory, whereas I don't really like macroeconomics.

I don't really like macroeconomics either, probably because I never really grasped the big picture, but only the endless equations that went on for a few lines I preferred statistics (for the fun of manipulating data and using SAS) and microeconomics (for the theory). I did find game theory interesting, but not really something I loved, I'm not sure why, come to think of it. Btw, to this day I can't think about anything econometric without remembering a hideous 48-hour exam where a) the laptop malfunctioned b) I'd done a day's work (on another comp), saved everything in several places only to discover that the computer only pretended to save it

Physiology, biology and chemistry. I tried thinking about why I like those specifically so much, but I don't really know. I just love finding out how things work and how they're connected. Especially the mechanics of living beings is extremely fascinating, while maths and physics get a bit too intangible for me (past basic college level anyway). I used to like both until a certain point where the effort needed surpassed the satisfaction of solving problems...

Would I pursue a career in either of my 3 choices? Definitely, and I'm doing just that, next semester is my last of pre-med. And if I didn't go for medicine, I would try majoring in bio or chem. Used to study economics & business administration for a couple years but the interest I thought I had in it was fairly superficial. I really can't stand accounting or marketing, though I do like both micro- & macroeconomics (although as Yoram Bauman said - as we all know, microeconomists are people who are wrong about specific things, while macroeconomists are people who are just wrong about things in general).