• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your favorite science

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Which one is it?

Psychology and biology.

Why are you fascinated by it?

Psychology = people
Biology = animals

I like both of them. :)
+ genetics is interesting

Would you consider pursuing it as a career?

I didn't although I have thought of taking some psychology studies.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Which one is it?

Semantics.

Science is about semantics.
Semantics is not the etymology of a concept.
It is the etymology of the meaning of the concept.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I find most sciences interesting, but I'm somewhat skeptical of the ones that don't use a lot of math.

sassafrassquatch

Which one is it?
Astronomy

Black holes are fucking awesome

No. I'm a slacker and there's no fucking way you'll ever get me into college

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
Which one is it?
Biology/Anthropology

I love the holistic nature of it, and exploring how we got here.

Possibly, it's one of the many things that I would like to study one day so who knows.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did I mention that I also like astrology on occasion?

Oh, and I have the striking suspicion that the God of Emptiness up there is a Scorpio.

Regardless, it should be a science. It's just as ambiguous as black holes, you know...

MBTI Type
INTJ
Astronomy/cosmology/astronautics.

When I was little I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up. I actually did pursue it at first. I only committed to the movie business as a career when during the application process for the Naval Academy I was told that my eyesight was not good enough to be a pilot. I'm still actively interested in the topic, and Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" is still probably my favorite book. I hope that before I die space travel is accessible and I can finally make it up there.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Meteorology. I am in the process of majoring in it right now.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Always depended on the teacher at school. First school, I hated biology and loved physics; was indifferent to chemistry. Second school, I was indifferent to biology, liked chemistry but still liked physics better. Third school, I hated all three. Those were the only sciences on offer in UK schools.

Never been much of a scientist. I made a thread quite a while back begging to know whether I was the only NT in the world who wasn't a science geek. But I did like the bit on cosmology and quantum physics I did as part of an intended degree a coupla years back. I'd have liked it better had it not been in a formal education type context.

Oh, wait, someone said anthropology? That's a science? Well, in that case, that one. I sorta have made it part of my career. But as for any other science, even if I liked them and was good at them, I still don't think I would, just cos there isn't much out there in the job market for that kinda thing... and what there is requires copious amounts of formal education, which I hate more than anything on earth!!

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I can't say I have one favorite science. I can find them all pretty interesting at times, but I don't actively pursue any one. More or less I'll just come across something interesting and pursue what ever field of science is related to it then move on.

Turbinado

MBTI Type
INTP
Physics, but I liked it better in ninth grade when it was easy. I remembered all the formulas without trying. Now I'm in AP and it's hard, so it's less fun.

Actually, I probably like biology better, I just don't like the way my school teaches it. Animal behavior is interesting, but I have always found cells and organ systems boring.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
If explained with enthousiasm, every science seems fascinating.
I studied linguistics and literature, but looking back, I'd rather have studied economics, at least if it offers what I hope it can: explain the mechanisms that make the world go round :) I have read some posts here of people who studied economics and were disappointed in exactly this point.
Apart from economics, I find psychology fascinating since it also brings understanding but on a more -micro- level. And of course it wouldn't make sense to be on an MBTI-forum and have no interest in psychology whatsoever.
And yes, the idea of making it part of my career is tempting...

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Which one is it?

It is hard to say. I like the theoretical side of most sciences (physics to biology in particular), but practice of certain specialities tends to bog down in mundane work. There are also certain areas of labwork that I simply won't do - in vivo lab work in particular.

I am planning on pursuing science as a career, but I have suffered several personal setbacks in that regard.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
Astronomy, by far. Thanks to my brother's book purchase :) [and Newton, but that's a long story]. It gave me a great sense of scale with respect to the workings of the world.

However, I'm in a bind over it, since I know that there's not much money to be made there :( Instead, I've decided to do something in chemistry, especially renewable energy projects :)

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
However, I'm in a bind over it, since I know that there's not much money to be made there :( Instead, I've decided to do something in chemistry, especially renewable energy projects :)

Chemistry is not necessarily more promising with respects to salary, at least in academia, or as an industrial chemist. Entrepreneurship is a different story though.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
purity.png

Oh, the discussions I've had about this one with a very snobbish INTP mathematician: "Biology just means to observe and marvel"

2. There seams to be a language barrier here.
Science can both mean the classic natural sciences (physics, chemistry, etc.) and any academic field that
builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the world
That might depend both on the context and your mother tongue.
see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science#History_and_etymology

Anyway, since I studied a pseudoscientific career called "translation science" (yeah, come on and laugh at we, will ya!), I have no indepth knowledge of any specific field an just a little bit of superficial familiarity with many.

Personal favorites are:
- biology (especially genetics, ecology, evolution, behavior and neurology)...I'm also fascinated by animals of all shapes and sizes, I just can't get my head around the similarities and differences. Just wow, the xkcd guy holding the squid is definitely for me!
- psychology (both traditional depth psychology - not very scientific, I know - and more modern neuropsychological approaches)
- anthropology
- linguistics (especially psycholinguistics and sociolinguistics)

3. Overall I love systematic, abstract and analytical approaches to something that is observable with the eye and concerns humans and their fellow creatures in their everyday actions and interaction.

I am ..
...neutral towards chemistry,
...see physics with a very sympathetic eye but was never good at it because:
...math doesn't like me. I have a great admiration for math though. I love its beautiful, crystal clear purity and it is even fun when it works. Not being better at it is one of my great regrets!

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My main interests are mostly in the biology-neuroscience-psychology area. I have a degree in molecular biology and biotechnology.

I liked physics and math in school and did very well in these classes, but so far I haven't been interested enough to pursue them on my own. That might be changing soon, as I've watched a couple YouTube videos of Neil deGrasse Tyson and he's making me want to learn more about astrophysics.