• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Scientists Create Gay Fruit Flies

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Science creates them, [lack of] phermones brings 'em back.

Is there a switch that turns you gay? That's the startling question raised again by a recent experiment in which scientists said they were able to turn on and off homosexual behavior in fruit flies.

Researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago said they discovered what they call a "gender blind gene," or GB, in male fruit flies. A mutation in this GB gene spurred the males flies to start courting other males, as well as females.

When researchers strengthened neural synapses in the brain, the male flies were attracted, rather than repulsed, by the smell of other male flies....
Discuss.

(I'll login later.)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, it makes sense to me and I'm not terribly surprised...

But mostly I had to respond because in viewing thread titles from the main menu, all you read is 'Scientists Create Gay Fruit' -- the 'flies' part doesn't display -- so it just made me laugh inwardly. So I was expecting to read about 'Gay Fruit', which in itself made me quite curious. :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well, it makes sense to me and I'm not terribly surprised...

But mostly I had to respond because in viewing thread titles from the main menu, all you read is 'Scientists Create Gay Fruit' -- the 'flies' part doesn't display -- so it just made me laugh inwardly. So I was expecting to read about 'Gay Fruit', which in itself made me quite curious. :D

same here, especially since I never considered fruit as straight gay or anything at all except yummy.I was intrigued and now I'm slightly disappointed I didn't get to read about gay fruit.

Not suprising, considering scientist have found other gay animals in the wild.the problem with even attempting to switch sexuality is saying one of them is unnatural. I mean yeah being gay is taboo, but I was hoping we'd have moved forward and accept people for who they are, instead of trying to figure out of ways to change them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not suprising, considering scientist have found other gay animals in the wild.the problem with even attempting to switch sexuality is saying one of them is unnatural. I mean yeah being gay is taboo, but I was hoping we'd have moved forward and accept people for who they are, instead of trying to figure out of ways to change them.

The term "unnatural" simply refers to the "Ideal" for the sex act, which seems to be "reproduction." The gist of attraction is to mate. And since homosexual behavior doesn't lead to procreation, that is what is meant by unnatural...

Animals do routinely commit homosexual acts, sometimes even just as community bonding behaviors if not purely for physical gratification... but they don't have "gay identities" as far as we know, as some people have claimed to have.

That's what makes people different than animals -- our self-awareness leads into this gray realm.

Gay fruit... :yim_rolling_on_the_

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
The term "unnatural" simply refers to the "Ideal" for the sex act, which seems to be "reproduction." The gist of attraction is to mate. And since homosexual behavior doesn't lead to procreation, that is what is meant by unnatural...

Animals do routinely commit homosexual acts, sometimes even just as community bonding behaviors if not purely for physical gratification... but they don't have "gay identities" as far as we know, as some people have claimed to have.

That's what makes people different than animals -- our self-awareness leads into this gray realm.

Gay fruit... :yim_rolling_on_the_

Scientists find "religion code" that sets people's willingness to decide things on faith. Would you turn yours off?

Self awareness is great. I also look forward to geneticists being able to rewrite the human code to eliminate all of our cognitive biases... Who needs brains? Actually, who needs sex? Just unwire our entire sex drive to level the playing field. Then we can select the traits we want and grow our children to be better than we are. Less risk, more gain... perfect.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Scientists find "religion code" that sets people's willingness to decide things on faith. Would you turn yours off?

Self awareness is great. I also look forward to geneticists being able to rewrite the human code to eliminate all of our cognitive biases... Who needs brains? Actually, who needs sex? Just unwire our entire sex drive to level the playing field. Then we can select the traits we want and grow our children to be better than we are. Less risk, more gain... perfect.

They should get rid of the curmudgeons early on, though. ;)

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I've never really understood why people consider "natural" to be superior or somehow better. Do animals naturally use electronics and machines, use synthesized chemicals, create and wear clothing from other animals, cook food, etc. No, but they do kill, rape, maim, attack, and harass one another. Are those behaviors superior to our "unnatural" way of living? But of course, the idea of things like condoms is "unnatural", and therefore wrong, so people should propagate like animals and spread disease like animals. Natural law is a bullshit doctrine passed down by long dead ancient philosophers. Why people pay it so much heed is beyond me.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
They should get rid of the curmudgeons early on, though. ;)

And introversion. Maybe thinking too.

Perhaps I should rephrase;

Science finds something religion likes; religion jumps for joy. Science finds something religions dislikes; religion says science is a joke, amoral and full of lies. Science says it finds evidence of a genetic connection to homosexuality, says 'this offers options to people'. Religion says 'you know what the right choice is... no pressure'."

I get tired of it.

But then, I figure we must have this gay gene by God's will. It's not like it could of evolved as an outlet for dealing environments where there are no mates... to avoid all the messyness of sexual repression.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And introversion. Maybe thinking too.

The IxTx version of "I am Legend"?

Science finds something religion likes; religion jumps for joy. Science finds something religions dislikes; religion says science is a joke, amoral and full of lies. Science says it finds evidence of a genetic connection to homosexuality, says 'this offers options to people'. Religion says 'you know what the right choice is... no pressure'."

That was very nice and succinct. (buku rep points for you!)

But then, I figure we must have this gay gene by God's will. It's not like it could of evolved as an outlet for dealing environments where there are no mates... to avoid all the messiness of sexual repression.

It is rather a conundrum, isn't it? If there's a genetic element, then either we evolved [to some degree], which of course doesn't happen because evolution doesn't occur, or else God must have put it there, but that would be preposterous because it suggests God's either a wonky inventor or else has a thing for gay people.

I'm betting it'll get blamed on the terrible genetic unraveling that occurred when (Wo)Man Fell in the Garden of Eden. (That tends to be the catch-all for all deviations from the projected Moral Ideal.) But I digress...

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm betting it'll get blamed on the terrible genetic unraveling that occurred when (Wo)Man Fell in the Garden of Eden. (That tends to be the catch-all for all deviations from the projected Moral Ideal.) But I digress...

I'm willing to bet that it will be a combination of;

1) It's a disease - a challenge for us to overcome, just like all other diseases.

2) It's a test of faith. Those that have it need to make the right choice.

/rant

This one topic (not the one in the OP, but the effects of science vs religion and so forth) pisses me off a huge amount. I could write pages and pages of rants...

Anyway, changing how we register phermones is like changing the association of hotdogs = high calories = taste good. It's not a 'cure'... there is nothing to cure because it is a built in system for humans. It's about as much of a cure as having a guy dress up as a girl and finding out guys are attracted to the 'girl'.