User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default someone needs to invent self heating soup

So they do, and I was thinking you know those disposable heating pads use the stuff in their to surround the soup but make it so the stuff doesn't ever contaminate the soup. Get soup from fridge at store break the stuff inside like you do the heating pad. and wait a few minutes open package get spoon eat soup.

Sorry I'm not more techincal by I'm not really a sciencey person, I just think self heating soup would be nice.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Oberon

You could pull a pin, and it would cause a little cube of metallic sodium to drop into the soup.

When the exothermic reaction was over the result would be toxic and rather messy, but hot.

MBTI
    yupp

Well I don't want to kill people.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Oberon

The technology to make what you're talking about exists -- witness the chemical MRE heaters used by the military -- and I believe has been tried, with some success.

The process works, but the soup is kind of expensive.

MBTI
    yupp

But it's soup, soup is soup. There's no such thing as expensive to make chicken noodle.

This is what makes me so mad we pay so much money for products that do not cost that much to make.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Oberon

It's not the soup itself that drives the price up, it's the soup packaged in a single serving with the self-heating system attached.

MBTI
    yupp

o then I'm less mad, but it be nice if I was running late and wanted soup, I could be like mmmm soup.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Oberon

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You could pull a pin, and it would cause a little cube of metallic sodium to drop into the soup.

When the exothermic reaction was over the result would be toxic and rather messy, but hot.
    Would it really be that toxic? The sodium ions themselves are not poisonous, the reactions are pretty much with ions that would already exist in the soup, and you'd only need a very small amount of sodium to warm up the soup. (Though control is still an issue.)

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Would it really be that toxic? The sodium ions themselves are not poisonous, the reactions are pretty much with ions that would already exist in the soup, and you'd only need a very small amount of sodium to warm up the soup. (Though control is still an issue.)
    I think if you started out with a salt-free soup and had some method of controlling the rate of the reaction (so it wouldn't immediately burn), it could be feasible. Maybe.