• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

someone needs to invent self heating soup

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
So they do, and I was thinking you know those disposable heating pads use the stuff in their to surround the soup but make it so the stuff doesn't ever contaminate the soup. Get soup from fridge at store break the stuff inside like you do the heating pad. and wait a few minutes open package get spoon eat soup.

Sorry I'm not more techincal by I'm not really a sciencey person, I just think self heating soup would be nice.

O

Oberon

You could pull a pin, and it would cause a little cube of metallic sodium to drop into the soup.

When the exothermic reaction was over the result would be toxic and rather messy, but hot. :D

O

Oberon

The technology to make what you're talking about exists -- witness the chemical MRE heaters used by the military -- and I believe has been tried, with some success.

The process works, but the soup is kind of expensive.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
But it's soup, soup is soup. There's no such thing as expensive to make chicken noodle.

This is what makes me so mad we pay so much money for products that do not cost that much to make.

O

Oberon

It's not the soup itself that drives the price up, it's the soup packaged in a single serving with the self-heating system attached.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
o then I'm less mad, but it be nice if I was running late and wanted soup, I could be like mmmm soup.

O

Oberon

mysupplement-store_1981_20885910

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
You could pull a pin, and it would cause a little cube of metallic sodium to drop into the soup.

When the exothermic reaction was over the result would be toxic and rather messy, but hot. :D

Would it really be that toxic? The sodium ions themselves are not poisonous, the reactions are pretty much with ions that would already exist in the soup, and you'd only need a very small amount of sodium to warm up the soup. (Though control is still an issue.)

O

Oberon

Would it really be that toxic? The sodium ions themselves are not poisonous, the reactions are pretty much with ions that would already exist in the soup, and you'd only need a very small amount of sodium to warm up the soup. (Though control is still an issue.)

I think if you started out with a salt-free soup and had some method of controlling the rate of the reaction (so it wouldn't immediately burn), it could be feasible. Maybe.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
On a slightly unrelated note.

I get a really weird feeling of disorientation if I look at/see a word for too often. I begin to treat each letter of the word as simply a weird shape with no actual meaning, instead of an element that helps construct the word.

That word is "soup" as far as this thread is concerned...so copiously used.

But you can't argue with the word. It's an awesome word. Soup.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
and yet they aren't widely available. I still have to get off my ass and put soup in the microwave, damnit I'm american, and as an american I am meant to be lazy. How can I be lazy if I still have to get up to heat my own soup! I can not fulfill my patriotic duty, until campbell's makes self heating soup!! ;)

Maha Raj

MBTI Type
ENTP
lol...

If you want to make soup and has no microwave to heat the water, then I have an idea. Just make a little “bag” like a Thermos insulating bottle. And attach it with the chicken needle soup plastic cup, with some hot water in it. So whenever you don’t have a microwave around you don’t have to worry. Just pour the water in your “little Thermos insulating bag” into your soup cup. Soup ready!

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Where can I get some of this? I am the person who forgets the boiling water on the stove and doesn't even make myself Ramen for lunch.

Oddly, when I pay attention I'm perfectly capable of making, say, French Silk Pie. :huh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I've seen and used the MRE heaters in military food rations. I believe the particular meal was Fettuccine Alfredo.

But what's wrong with a microwave if you have one?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
My father is in the military, and he's often brought me some. I've used it when I train on the winter (cycling), some heat is always good in the cold.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
There are certain oils that heat themselves up when exposed to only a small amount of heat. I remember a friend of mine whose parents own a hotel, someone left some tablecloths in the laundry room near an electric heater and they like, spontaneously combusted and started a massive fire. The firemen said it was this cooking oil that was on them, apparently. Maybe that could be used in these soups so that just the heat from being carried in your pocket would make them hot enough to eat by the time you open them?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, I've seen and used the MRE heaters in military food rations. I believe the particular meal was Fettuccine Alfredo.

But what's wrong with a microwave if you have one?

I was joking,I don't mind getting up to heat soup. though for camping or just walking around the city self heating soup would be nice.