User Tag List

Thread: Domain privacy

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Domain privacy

OK, question for those who know. What's the REAL scoop on the importance of opting for "privacy" when registering a domain name?

I understand that if you don't pay a little extra money for privacy, that your personal information (phone number, address, name, e-mail) will be listed in the WHOIS for all to see. If I don't purchase privacy for my domain, is it seriously going to leave me vulnerable to all kinds of spam, phone calls, and possibly identity theft? Long story short, do I need to purchase it or not?
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Just use a domain registrar with free private registration. I know NameCheap and 1and1 offer it. Just stay away from GoDaddy.

I always use it now, but really, the only people who really need private registration are people who are doing sketchy and questionable things with their sites, and don't want to get in trouble or tracked down.

I just used fake info back when I did public registrations, but I've never heard of webmasters getting their identity stolen just from their whois info.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I just lie on my registration. Don't tell! I don't like to use my real info only because of my domain being used for purely online purposes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Just use Namecheap - whois protection is free there if you don't want to pay extra. Plus you'll get "peace of mind."
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    OK, question for those who know. What's the REAL scoop on the importance of opting for "privacy" when registering a domain name?

I understand that if you don't pay a little extra money for privacy, that your personal information (phone number, address, name, e-mail) will be listed in the WHOIS for all to see. If I don't purchase privacy for my domain, is it seriously going to leave me vulnerable to all kinds of spam, phone calls, and possibly identity theft? Long story short, do I need to purchase it or not?
    Yes,private registration is necessary for any business domains.Private registration helps to hide your domain information like Owner name,Address,Email Id,Fax no,Administrative contact, etc., from the public view.Due to this,You can avoid unnecessary phone calls,Emails etc.,I used private registration to register all my domains I got this service from XnYnZ.com .After registering it,i use to check Whois search at Whoisxy.com for my domains that whether my personal information are hid or not.