• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Domain privacy

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
OK, question for those who know. What's the REAL scoop on the importance of opting for "privacy" when registering a domain name?

I understand that if you don't pay a little extra money for privacy, that your personal information (phone number, address, name, e-mail) will be listed in the WHOIS for all to see. If I don't purchase privacy for my domain, is it seriously going to leave me vulnerable to all kinds of spam, phone calls, and possibly identity theft? Long story short, do I need to purchase it or not?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Just use a domain registrar with free private registration. I know NameCheap and 1and1 offer it. Just stay away from GoDaddy.

I always use it now, but really, the only people who really need private registration are people who are doing sketchy and questionable things with their sites, and don't want to get in trouble or tracked down.

I just used fake info back when I did public registrations, but I've never heard of webmasters getting their identity stolen just from their whois info.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I just lie on my registration. Don't tell! I don't like to use my real info only because of my domain being used for purely online purposes.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Just use Namecheap - whois protection is free there if you don't want to pay extra. Plus you'll get "peace of mind."

Userhere

OK, question for those who know. What's the REAL scoop on the importance of opting for "privacy" when registering a domain name?

I understand that if you don't pay a little extra money for privacy, that your personal information (phone number, address, name, e-mail) will be listed in the WHOIS for all to see. If I don't purchase privacy for my domain, is it seriously going to leave me vulnerable to all kinds of spam, phone calls, and possibly identity theft? Long story short, do I need to purchase it or not?

Yes,private registration is necessary for any business domains.Private registration helps to hide your domain information like Owner name,Address,Email Id,Fax no,Administrative contact, etc., from the public view.Due to this,You can avoid unnecessary phone calls,Emails etc.,I used private registration to register all my domains I got this service from XnYnZ.com .After registering it,i use to check Whois search at Whoisxy.com for my domains that whether my personal information are hid or not.