User Tag List

123 Last

Default Biological Clock

I watched the movie Baby Mama with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, and it sort of terrified me a little bit. Is this biological clock thing fer rills? Does it turn women into these crazed, will-do-anything-for-baby people? Have there been any studies done studies to confirm or disprove that it is in fact a biological clock and not some sort of socio-cultural clock?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    Wht?

Ummm...

I heard somewhere humans have a natural clock that works within an estimated 24 hour period.

Even though I never saw that movie and have no idea what your talking about..
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

- Jack Handey

I think you're referring to circadian rhythms. I'm referring to this idea that a woman's eggs run out at a certain point and as she begins to approach this point she feels an overwhelming desire to reproduce.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I think it depends on the woman. Some women have thought of having children since they were children themselves. Others, just don't have that strong of a need. I don't think it is an indiscriminate chemical reaction that affects all women. Humans are made to reproduce, but I am unsure if that would be more than the extra surge of hormones when a woman is at her most fertile.

I also have to wonder about societal pressure with the whole biological clock thing.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Phantonym

Well, biological clock, as in the age from which female and male fertility starts to decline is a real thing. I couldn't find any full free articles online, but Dr. David Dunson led the study a few years ago.

Whether this desire to have babies has a genetic base is unclear to me, I haven't done any extensive research on it to find information to either back it up or disprove it. However, I found this interesting theoretical article that explores this "baby fever" phenomenon a bit further. So, I think it's at least an interesting read.

http://www.valt.helsinki.fi/staff/ro...ckrotkirch.pdf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    Wht?

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I think you're referring to circadian rhythms. I'm referring to this idea that a woman's eggs run out at a certain point and as she begins to approach this point she feels an overwhelming desire to reproduce.
    Well I know my grandma did this and she succeeded. She wanted another baby because she was getting too old and wanted another kid before she went threw the "change"
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

- Jack Handey

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Game Master Near View Post
    Well I know my grandma did this and she succeeded. She wanted another baby because she was getting too old and wanted another kid before she went threw the "change"
    Well women don't go through "the change" until they're at least in their mid-to-late 40s. My mom didn't until she was into her 50s. Women's biological clocks actually are supposed to start ticking in their 30s, and a woman's sexual peak is supposedly in her mid-30s. Just wanted to clear that up for you. There's a pretty wide space between those two events...

Maybe it is less hormonally driven and more just understanding that the reproductive years are ending-thus a since of urgency about having a baby?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Statistics on age/fertility here.

Chart: The effect of age on fertility | BabyCenter

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Maybe it is less hormonally driven and more just understanding that the reproductive years are ending-thus a since of urgency about having a baby?
    I'm sure this plays a big role. Most women know that your chances of conceiving start diving down in your mid 30s so if you've always wanted kids, this is probably in the back of your mind as you approach that age.

edit: I agree that the real "baby crazy" women are very, very rare outside of TV.
    -end of thread-