User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram

I recall reading that after 30, women have around 1/3 of their eggs left. It is better to have a baby when you're younger (biologically at least), but bear in mind you were watching a comedy, that genre tends to exaggerate things for comic effect.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm in my 40's and never been inflicted with that itch. Thank God.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I recall reading that after 30, women have around 1/3 of their eggs left. It is better to have a baby when you're younger (biologically at least), but bear in mind you were watching a comedy, that genre tends to exaggerate things for comic effect.
    Only a third???

It blew my mind a little that if you carry a daughter you are also carrying your grandchildren. Meaning women are born with all our eggs, they get made while we're getting made in the womb. Deep.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I think it's a socio-cultural thing. There's a lot of pressure out there to have kids when you are in thirties. I'm feeling it most acutely at 32, and I don't want kids (it's been relegated down to I'm not sure....). Every body's been pressuring me since I was 25, like I'm kinda unnatural or something being a women and not wanting her own kids. On top of that people keep regaling me with childbirth stories. Like that makes me wanna do it more! I wanna get split open like a peach, trying to squeeze a basket ball out of a 50 cent sized hole. Where do I sign up for that. Not everyone's destined to be a breeder(sorry, I don't mean to be insulting to those parents out there). Apparently that's all I'm good for.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

Some biological clocking is a by-product of a post-feminist society that tells women that they can "have it all"... they can be the successful corporate go-getter at work and the nurturing mom at home.

They pursue the career for ten years or so, then realize at some point around age 32 that they would really like to have a family and at least one kid, but they don't even have a steady boyfriend because... well, just because. So if they want that kid they'd best be about it. It's not an uncommon story.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I watched the movie Baby Mama with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, and it sort of terrified me a little bit. Is this biological clock thing fer rills? Does it turn women into these crazed, will-do-anything-for-baby people?
    Let me put it this way. People are very diverse in their genetic programming, familial upbringing, life experiences, etc. Despite these differences we are all human, we are mammals, and we feel the tides of the moon just as the cows in pastures do. We are of this Earth.

So, outside of any DNA-based, species specific, or observations based on self awareness, we have societal standards, norms, pressures, etc. to deal with also.

Some people have very strong endocrinological responses to begin with. Couple that with familial pressure to be the first to give Dad a grandson/granddaughter. Then add in societal pressure that Prince Charming hasn't showed up to build you a Better Homes & Gardens villa, knock you up, and be there changing diapers at your side by your 34th birthday. It is women who must deal with the combined forces mentioned above that I have seen go through the worst "biological clock" psycho-dramas. Poor girls!

Have there been any studies done studies to confirm or disprove that it is in fact a biological clock and not some sort of socio-cultural clock?
    Yes, but all the researchers got knocked up and couldn't finish the study.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Only a third???

It blew my mind a little that if you carry a daughter you are also carrying your grandchildren. Meaning women are born with all our eggs, they get made while we're getting made in the womb. Deep.
    whoa

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm referring to this idea that a woman's eggs run out at a certain point and as she begins to approach this point she feels an overwhelming desire to reproduce.
    There is really no point in a woman's life where she will 'run out of eggs.' Women have a looot of eggs. Even with menstruation and natural decay, she has more than enough eggs (even when reaching menopause) to last a lifetime.

It is better to have a baby when you're younger (biologically at least)
    Yes, it is generally better for both mother and baby to birth when the mother is younger and generally healthier than she would be at a later age. The same goes for the baby, who would have a greater chance of being born healthy, as younger eggs are healthier. So it is more a matter of quality over quantity of eggs.

Though I wonder if epigenetics has any hand in what gets passed down to the baby if the mother conceives earlier/later?

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Wow.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by lets eat pie View Post
    Though I wonder if epigenetics has any hand in what gets passed down to the baby if the mother conceives earlier/later?
    Would it make any difference? Maybe I don't fully understand how epigenetics works.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Would it make any difference? Maybe I don't fully understand how epigenetics works.
    I was thinking that maybe a woman radically changes her lifestyle later in life. What genes would be turned on/off because of this lifestyle change and would they be passed on to the child if the baby is conceived before or after the mother's lifestyle change?