• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

RF and Autism?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
RF = radio frequency. I was thinking about the possible causes for the staggering increase of prevelance in the population. Over the past twenty years...what's different?

Cell phones, and wireless routers came to mind. I googled and sure enough someone else a lot smarter than me thought to research the possibility.

Exposure to Radiofrequency and Autism

I had the thought knowing of studies that show lower sperm counts in males who carry cells in their pockets. I also know three people who have brain tumors in the vacinity of their talking ear.

The possibility seems "plausible" in that somethings causing it? But is it probable?

Little_Sticks

Maybe. RF is an electromagnetic wave. So then one has to also understand and consider that all matter gives off electromagnetic radiation. Even before electrical technology we have had electromagnetic waves going in all directions right through the matter of our bodies. Matter essentially is made up of all kinds of intricate magnetic pulls. So then it becomes a question of knowing or rather finding out the magnitudes of electromagnetic radiation that are harmful to us; because anything can be harmful in a big enough dosage, as they say.

So sorry I know that wasn't exactly helpful in the useful sense, but this is the real inherent question among researchers. Someone once seriously pondered whether or not magnetic forces are what cause us to die and age. I thought irony of it being true was very funny. I suppose that just tells us how little we really know about our bodies.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That was a good post Little Sticks, in that a lot of people won't know we're constantly being bombarded with "natural" and "man-made" RF. The way you explained it is better than I could have.

A Wireless Router isn't nearly as intense as having a cell up to one's ear. But there's also some research going on to see if man made RF is negatively impacting bee populations. Which we humans are highly dependant upon for cross-polinating our food.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
While you're on the witch hunt, you can check out fluoride in the water supply. There are positive links dating back to nazi population control. And scientific data regarding effects on human and learning disorders.

You have to understand that the cause of the surge doesn't appear at the same time as the surge. The cause of the autism surge is found a generation or two before hand. This is in the 1940 area.

heart

heart on fire
^ Why the negative "witch hunt" label? :huh:

The OP is simply speculating. I didn't see any lighted faggots or anything.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The problem is that autism isn't clearly understood and the root cause is unknown. While this is unknown is doesn't really make sense to label and point at things to suggest that it's the cause of something that hasn't been defined. It's a form of arbitrary and perhaps irresponsible blaming. It's not clearly defined like malaria or tuberculosis. The only definitive case for autism/aspergers/pdd is the onset of spoken language difficulties by the age of 3 and this is also on shaky ground.

I just think prudence is in order.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
durentu,

Did you notice the Medical Hypothese referenced in the OP is clearly a Hypothese.

Suggesting actual research is warranted to test the Hypothese in the summary?

That the Medical Hypothese is written by a real live medical researching Ph.D?

Maybe the Ph.D will get their grant or tenure? Whatever the objective is.

Maybe RF Micro will fund another study ahead of this researchers, to cast doubt on the possibility.

Aside from those elements, I'm 100 percent sure you self-identified correctly as INTP. :yes:

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So you mean like a gag order for message board discussions on the topic? :huh:

No. And suggesting that I wish for a gag order is a hyperbole.

We've been at this recent thread and seen the damage :: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/health-fitness/29020-no-link-between-austism-vaccines.html

I'm just saying let's be a little more prudent. Just searching around for "autism and emf/emi" radiation only points to this one paper. By extension, going back to the cell phone / brain tumor scare, the national cancer institute disproved it over a 10 year study.

While I'm for the freedom of speech, it does come with responsibility.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
A lot of high-functioning autistics/Aspies don't like being thought of as diseased, FWIW.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:happy0065:

oh, yes... If one's going to get them some! Get you some! INTP!

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of high-functioning autistics/Aspies don't like being thought of as diseased, FWIW.

That's perfectly valid in that it isn't a disease. I'm even open to the distinct possibility we're seening evolution in action, and they're the next genetic leap.

sculpting

Slight variation on the topic but one that highlights "scientific research" validity (speaking as a scientist myself:

in the US women now days get upwards of 4-10 ultrasounds during pregnancy. My european coworkers were horrified.

It turns out that some studies have shown that if you expose nuerons-I think in fetal mice-to ultrasonic waves, you can disrupt the growth patterns. This seems subtle and there has been abundant evidence that ultrasounds dont cuase massive damage of any sort.

But what about subtle effects? If you dont know what you are looking for, how can you measure it properly.

Not saying ultrasounds are evil-just pointing out there may be things not really fully understood and it may be interesting to see in 20 years what we think of some of these same topics.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Orobas, that's interesting to become aware of. I think the operative word to describe the US system is excess. Excess cost, excess pills, excess test.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
RF = radio frequency. I was thinking about the possible causes for the staggering increase of prevelance in the population. Over the past twenty years...what's different?

Cell phones, and wireless routers came to mind. I googled and sure enough someone else a lot smarter than me thought to research the possibility.

Exposure to Radiofrequency and Autism

I had the thought knowing of studies that show lower sperm counts in males who carry cells in their pockets. I also know three people who have brain tumors in the vacinity of their talking ear.

The possibility seems "plausible" in that somethings causing it? But is it probable?

I'm interested in an entirely different theory. Autism has risen by approx 600% in the last 20 years. You can account for prehaps a 100-200% increase due to diagnosis becomming easier to access, the range of ASD that is now being diagnosed and the fact that many people are more willing to get diagnosis for themselves or children.
So we are left with a huge unaccountable dramatic increase. I lean towards the theory of evolution of mind. That the autistic brain is one of a higher concience, a more highly evolved brain design. Yes many people may scorn me or argue that it's a disibility but i do believe the theory.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's perfectly valid in that it isn't a disease. I'm even open to the distinct possibility we're seening evolution in action, and they're the next genetic leap.
Oh i didn't see this post!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hmmm. I guess I can see some kind of environmental triggering effect. I was listening to a podcast about genetics and medicine and they said that near-sightedness was virtually unknown before early literacy became widespread. The combination of genetic predisposition and early reading seem to be what trigger it. There could be something like that in play with autism.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
autism caused by interference of EMR and the fetus and cancer caused by EMR. I can see both of these as being directly related to the increase in cellphone use

Controlled exposure to magnetic fields has already been proven to stimulate parts of the brain