User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Ah, so proven and tappable metals then. Again, humanity has barely scratched the surface (literally). So claiming we've used up a 1/3 of the earth's non-renewable resources is not at all accurate. 1/3 of what we can see and reach, maybe. Ignoring the fact that a lot of those metals mentioned are renewable, or recyclable at least.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Ah, so proven and tappable metals then. Again, humanity has barely scratched the surface (literally). So claiming we've used up a 1/3 of the earth's non-renewable resources is not at all accurate. 1/3 of what we can see and reach, maybe. (ignoring the fact that a lot of those metals mentioned are renewable)
    There isn't anything in the universe that isn't renewable. However, there is a finite production possibilities curve. Take indium for example.

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-...t-so-renewable

Renewable? perhaps. Renewable at a rate that is economically sustainable? maybe not.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    There isn't anything in the universe that isn't renewable. However, there is a finite production possibilities curve. Take indium for example.

Renewable Energy Solar Cells Ain't So Renewable | Technomix | Fast Company

Renewable? perhaps. Renewable at a rate that is economically sustainable? maybe not.
    Yes, it can become more difficult to create them, up to a point. Making them more costly.

The main problem there is that Indium needs to be recycled more, or used less, which that articles mentions methods for. It's mostly saved by the fact one of the fastest advancing industry areas uses most of it. They've gotten around similar problems many times before.

Plastics are an area where that issue will be far greater. It's being dealt with reasonably well so far, though it could be handled a lot better.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Plastics lol Yeah, I suppose we could round up that Texas sized clump of it in the middle of the North Pacific. Pictures just don't do it justice.

north pacific gyre - Google Search

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Plastics lol Yeah, I suppose we could round up that Texas sized clump of it in the middle of the North Pacific. Pictures just don't do it justice.
    Wow, yea.

That's the main problem I think. Not substances used mostly by electronics industries, where innovation, such as making things smaller and more efficient, are the main way to profit in the first place, but the industries where producing more is the main way to profit.

Plastics, food, energy etc. You hit peak oil, prices rise, people panic, politics and industries get serious, then finally changes and innovation on the required scale occur. Some wars and squabbles over remaining oil in the mean time. That's my guess. There is some pre-emptive action going on, just not enough. It's possible, just not economical at the moment.

I can't see Nuclear Fusion or some other Deus Ex Machina jumping on the scene any time soon, instead I'd say they slowly rise in efficiency over a long period of time until they become viable alternatives. If they do quickly become viable, it will likely be because of some unpredictable innovation, which is foolish to rely on happening.

But really, what do I know on the scale of things

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Humans! Because none of us, are as dumb as all of us!

It's an interesting topic, and an enjoyable exchange.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I know one thing, petro is going to be VERY hard to replace. And the government and society as a whole have not did much preparation for declining oil production. Most current alternative energy resources don't even come close to replacing oil.