• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

And they wonder why some people fear vaccines?

heart

heart on fire
Rotarix rotavirus vaccine contaminated, officials say - CNN.com

GlaxoSmithKline emphasized Monday that the pig virus is not known to cause illness in humans, saying "it is found in everyday meat products and is frequently eaten with no resulting disease or illness."

Yeah, okay. But generally one cooks pork products and the viruses die. One doesn't inject raw pork directly into one's veins. It is disturbing that they allow any virus to get in there, especially after the SV40 monkey virus polio vaccine thing in the 60s.

From NIH: Simian virus 40

A species of POLYOMAVIRUS originally isolated from Rhesus monkey kidney tissue. It produces malignancy in human and newborn hamster kidney cell cultures.
Term Simian virus 40

Rogue virus in the vaccine / Early polio vaccine harbored virus now feared to cause cancer in humans

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In general, vaccines freak me out, but I have all of mine anyway, minus the H1N1, which I seem to have a serious distrust of. Were vaccines always this way, even when we were kids, and we just didn't know about it?

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Depends on the disease you're vaccinating for if you ask me.

I wasn't gung ho about the H1N1 (My job supplied it free anyway, so I went ahead though).

Tetanus vaccines, on the other hand, are worth it just because tetanus is a god-awful way to die.

Contamination is a legitimate fear, just as it would be with food. Quality control is certainly something they need to adhere to.

There is, however, a lot of unsubstantiated fear in regards to child vaccinations causing various developmental disorders though. Mostly thanks to Hollywood actors (You know, the usual suspects when it comes to misinformation)...:dry:

I found this to be an adequate assessment of the situation.

Let me clarify, I am not a proponent of over-vaccination. However, I do believe they do far more good, in general, than they do harm, and that an under-vaccinated society would almost certainly be worse. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks.

O

Oberon

H1N1 vaccine was brought to market too quickly to conduct clinical trials. By the time it did get to market, my whole family had already caught and recovered from the pig flu. Based on these two facts, I elected not to get the shot (even though my employer supplied it for free from the plant nurse).

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
If we're afraid of everything that could potentially be contaminated, we'd have a lot of trouble with things like, say, food. :D

Vaccines are generally good things.

I didn't get the H1N1 shot myself. I'm inclined to vaccinate if the risk or the damage is high, but by the time shots were available it had already passed through and the actual damage was pretty minor.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
what about next year?

e - the idea being, build a slew of immunity in case next winter is particularly nasty

What about the people who already got it and recovered? Do they need the shot? Or did the virus evolve in that span of time for it to still keep its potency for spring? If so, then the people who got the vaccine (and payed for it) got shafted unless they would have died from the first round of the 'piggy sickness.'

(Or I could just be more ignorant of the whole subject than I think I am)

Loxias

MBTI Type
INxj
Enneagram
4w5
Honestly, the H1N1 vaccination appeared to me like just a great scale commercial manipulation.
The H1N1 flu wasn't worse than seasonal flu. And for seasonal flu, only people over 65 or at higher risk for reason X or Y take it.
If H1N1 is going to be more harmful next winter, well, who cares anyway, a new vaccination will be needed.

It cannot be compared to tetanus and co (the basics you get as a child to fight sicknesses that you fortunately rarely hear of in the Western world thanks to those vaccinations).

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you don't want the H1N1 vaccine, the "Gov'ment's just testing nanomachines on us with the vaccine" line is good for a laugh. You get some very strange looks. :D

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Let me clarify, I am not a proponent of over-vaccination. However, I do believe they do far more good, in general, than they do harm, and that an under-vaccinated society would almost certainly be worse. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks.

Artfully said.

Children MUST get their vaccinations. I have a few friends with small children that were apprehensive about vaccinating their children, and I emphasized the certainty of contracting horrible illnesses ( such as polio and tetanus) far outweighed the possibility that the vaccines could cause their children permanent harm ( meaning not a mild allergic reaction, but more along the lines of autism ). You can't freak out over the " what if's" if the actuality of illness is so apparent.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
what about next year?

e - the idea being, build a slew of immunity in case next winter is particularly nasty

My understanding of annual flus is that next year there will be need for a different shot.

Vacinations have substantial merit, just that particular one was too little too late.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i havent had any vaccinations for years, but if i would go to some exotic countries i would take some vaccines. i didnt get that H1N1 vaccine even tho government supplied it to everyone. i think that H1N1 is mostly bullshit, yes it might get bad with some people, but im still not more afraid of it than any seasonal flu. i never cached it anyway even tho i met few people who had it or recently had it.

i dont even like to take aspirin or stuff like that

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I never got the H1N1 vaccine... I'm wary of stuff they crank out the minute a pandemic strikes.

However, as far as the standard tetanus/polio/etc, they've been around long enough, and they're really nasty diseases, so the cost-benefit analysis to me, supports them.

Plus, I didn't really have a say in getting those, because I was a kid. ;)

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Ya know how they offer the H1N1 vaccine at most major shopping centers?

Well my second uncle, (that is, my aunt's brother) got the vaccine.

He died.

He left a wife and three children.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Rare, but I'd rather get 10 flus before this:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEN5KGwNGeo"]Flu shot bad[/YOUTUBE]

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Vaccines have been one of the greatest medical advances of humanity. If it wasn't for vaccines we'd all still be dying of smallpox.

Like anything, if it's done wrong, it can be harmful. Like Aeroplanes, cars or food. We wouldn't "fear" those things in themselves though.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
yeah I think I'll take vaccinations over polio/smallpox/measles/mumps/etc.

Anti-vac stuff in the media is sensationalist and alarmist and far more dangerous than the actual vaccine.

To put it another way, 30,000 people a year die in car crashes, but we aren't pulling cars off of the street.

It sucks when something like what happened to that girl in the video happen, but you can't make anything 100% safe, but the alternatives are far worse.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Rare, but I'd rather get 10 flus before this:

"CDC estimated that about 36,000 people died of seasonal flu-related causes each year, on average, during the 1990s in the United States."

I would suggest (without any further evidence), that you have much lower odds of dying from the flu shot, than of getting the flu and dying from it, in my opinion, therefore...it's worth it. Feel free to research, but realize that means the number of people that die from the flu every year, is around the number that die from car accidents a year.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
"CDC estimated that about 36,000 people died of seasonal flu-related causes each year, on average, during the 1990s in the United States."

I would suggest (without any further evidence), that you have much lower odds of dying from the flu shot, than of getting the flu and dying from it, in my opinion, therefore...it's worth it. Feel free to research, but realize that means the number of people that die from the flu every year, is around the number that die from car accidents a year.

But the media doesn't do a scary story about people dying of the flu, therefore it's safer than getting a vaccine :yes: