User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default And they wonder why some people fear vaccines?

Rotarix rotavirus vaccine contaminated, officials say - CNN.com

GlaxoSmithKline emphasized Monday that the pig virus is not known to cause illness in humans, saying "it is found in everyday meat products and is frequently eaten with no resulting disease or illness."
    Yeah, okay. But generally one cooks pork products and the viruses die. One doesn't inject raw pork directly into one's veins. It is disturbing that they allow any virus to get in there, especially after the SV40 monkey virus polio vaccine thing in the 60s.

From NIH: Simian virus 40

A species of POLYOMAVIRUS originally isolated from Rhesus monkey kidney tissue. It produces malignancy in human and newborn hamster kidney cell cultures.
    Term Simian virus 40
    Rogue virus in the vaccine / Early polio vaccine harbored virus now feared to cause cancer in humans

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

In general, vaccines freak me out, but I have all of mine anyway, minus the H1N1, which I seem to have a serious distrust of. Were vaccines always this way, even when we were kids, and we just didn't know about it?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Depends on the disease you're vaccinating for if you ask me.

I wasn't gung ho about the H1N1 (My job supplied it free anyway, so I went ahead though).

Tetanus vaccines, on the other hand, are worth it just because tetanus is a god-awful way to die.

Contamination is a legitimate fear, just as it would be with food. Quality control is certainly something they need to adhere to.

There is, however, a lot of unsubstantiated fear in regards to child vaccinations causing various developmental disorders though. Mostly thanks to Hollywood actors (You know, the usual suspects when it comes to misinformation)...

I found this to be an adequate assessment of the situation.

Let me clarify, I am not a proponent of over-vaccination. However, I do believe they do far more good, in general, than they do harm, and that an under-vaccinated society would almost certainly be worse. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

Oberon

H1N1 vaccine was brought to market too quickly to conduct clinical trials. By the time it did get to market, my whole family had already caught and recovered from the pig flu. Based on these two facts, I elected not to get the shot (even though my employer supplied it for free from the plant nurse).

MBTI
    INTx

If we're afraid of everything that could potentially be contaminated, we'd have a lot of trouble with things like, say, food.

Vaccines are generally good things.

I didn't get the H1N1 shot myself. I'm inclined to vaccinate if the risk or the damage is high, but by the time shots were available it had already passed through and the actual damage was pretty minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    it had already passed through
    what about next year?

e - the idea being, build a slew of immunity in case next winter is particularly nasty

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by lamp View Post
    what about next year?

e - the idea being, build a slew of immunity in case next winter is particularly nasty
    What about the people who already got it and recovered? Do they need the shot? Or did the virus evolve in that span of time for it to still keep its potency for spring? If so, then the people who got the vaccine (and payed for it) got shafted unless they would have died from the first round of the 'piggy sickness.'

(Or I could just be more ignorant of the whole subject than I think I am)
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Honestly, the H1N1 vaccination appeared to me like just a great scale commercial manipulation.
    The H1N1 flu wasn't worse than seasonal flu. And for seasonal flu, only people over 65 or at higher risk for reason X or Y take it.
    If H1N1 is going to be more harmful next winter, well, who cares anyway, a new vaccination will be needed.

It cannot be compared to tetanus and co (the basics you get as a child to fight sicknesses that you fortunately rarely hear of in the Western world thanks to those vaccinations).
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

If you don't want the H1N1 vaccine, the "Gov'ment's just testing nanomachines on us with the vaccine" line is good for a laugh. You get some very strange looks.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post

Let me clarify, I am not a proponent of over-vaccination. However, I do believe they do far more good, in general, than they do harm, and that an under-vaccinated society would almost certainly be worse. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks.
    Artfully said.

Children MUST get their vaccinations. I have a few friends with small children that were apprehensive about vaccinating their children, and I emphasized the certainty of contracting horrible illnesses ( such as polio and tetanus) far outweighed the possibility that the vaccines could cause their children permanent harm ( meaning not a mild allergic reaction, but more along the lines of autism ). You can't freak out over the " what if's" if the actuality of illness is so apparent.