User Tag List

12 Last

Default I need a new camera, please give me advice

Looking at my recent photos just now it was revealed to me once again that my current camera is rubbish and takes rubbish photos (a Fuji A850, don't buy it)

I need a camera that is relatively simple and inexpensive (preferably under 100 British Pounds but it can be a bit more). I don't want anything special just a camera that takes great photos during the day, okay photos in darker environments (that's one thing that annoys me about my current camera, apart from when it's bright daylight all the photos come out fuzzy) and has a simple video function. If there is anything else I should consider please tell me.

Advice from anyone is welcome but I just want to note that I live in the UK.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Well, my compact digital camera was a little over a hundred, but it's surprisingly very good. Nikons are the way to go! I would recommend Sony, too, but I'm not terribly experienced with them. Plus, I don't know how much they typically run.

nighttime shots are always hard on compacts.. i don't know of any cheap current ones. i'll mention that the s90 and sony's tx-1 do it pretty well, but those are high end compacts.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Don't get a Canon PowerShot or a Fuji. I'd investigate Sony, as I've heard good things about them.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Don't get a Canon PowerShot or a Fuji. I'd investigate Sony, as I've heard good things about them.
    sony has crappy noisy sensors. but you cant get a camera that doesent have huge noise in dark without flash for that price, you need a dslr for that.

Anyway in that price range, everything is total crap, some are worse than others, but all are crap. if you care about the quality you need to pay more.

Photos taken in dark come out fuzzy because the camera uses too long exposure time, you need to set iso to maximum, lowest f-number and then hope that enough light gets on the sensor that your handshake doesent show.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have an older minolta which is really great, but for 100 pounds you're not getting anything special.

If you spend a little more the Canon Ixus series seems like a decent to good buy. Long time since I've been looking up cameras but Ive heard nothing but good things about the Ixus series from people that own it. Olympus makes decent camera's aswell, but I'd spend atleast 120-150 and up on a camera that I know can last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    sony has crappy noisy sensors. but you cant get a camera that doesent have huge noise in dark without flash for that price, you need a dslr for that.

Anyway in that price range, everything is total crap, some are worse than others, but all are crap. if you care about the quality you need to pay more.

Photos taken in dark come out fuzzy because the camera uses too long exposure time, you need to set iso to maximum, lowest f-number and then hope that enough light gets on the sensor that your handshake doesent show.
    some of the newer sony;s have the best sensors around (for point and shoot). link. still moderately expensive for a p&s though.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    some of the newer sony;s have the best sensors around (for point and shoot).
    TX7: The Exmor R is fabulous [Page 1]: Sony Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

looks pretty crappy to me. looks like they apply so much chroma noise reduction that image starts to lose details really much, i looked some other pics too taken with the sensor and with high iso, even tho there is pretty low noise, colors will look crappy and low saturated and the image is soft(due to too hard noise reduction). note that the shot from fuji here is bit overexposed, therefore looks like having bit dull colors and low contrast.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Canon PowerShot A490 or A495

Canon PowerShot A490 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Compact cameras

The A495 will run about $20 more, and is at around 100 pounds.

Image quality seems awesome to me for a compact at such a low price. Looks like a good "key" value.

Canon PowerShot A490 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Compact cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Looking at my recent photos just now it was revealed to me once again that my current camera is rubbish and takes rubbish photos (a Fuji A850, don't buy it)

I need a camera that is relatively simple and inexpensive (preferably under 100 British Pounds but it can be a bit more). I don't want anything special just a camera that takes great photos during the day, okay photos in darker environments (that's one thing that annoys me about my current camera, apart from when it's bright daylight all the photos come out fuzzy) and has a simple video function. If there is anything else I should consider please tell me.

Advice from anyone is welcome but I just want to note that I live in the UK.
    Though what you ask for seems simple, technically it requires quite good components, hence costs quite a bit of money. Almost nothing but a digital SLR will take indoor photos well without a flash, and nighttime photos without a flash require a tripod or very good camera.

As INTP said, cheap compact cameras are normally rubbish. If you want to look through your options, DPReview (which someone linked already) isn't a bad site. It will at least give you an idea of what is around and the quality difference.

The main things you'll care about for low-light photos are the sensor size, megapixels and minimum F number. For the same sensor size, less megapixels is generally better. This seems counter-intuitive but larger pixel size=higher signal-to-noise ratio, so an 8 megapixel camera can be significantly better than a 14 megapixel one. If I was buying a camera of any type, the first thing I'd look at would be the lens quality also. Some of the cheap ones will have pretty poor lenses and quite soft/unappealing photos as a result. For some reason people forget how vital the lens is when they buy compact digital cameras. Good image stabilisation (anti-shake) can help in low-light also, but only to a point.

After saying all that there will probably be something that will satisfy you for a bit above your price range, say 150 pounds, so check out the suggestions people make on here. I like the panasonics, but I own a panasonic so have a bias. The canon compacts have better colour than the panasonics, the panasonics have Leica lenses that make many of the canon photos seem soft by comparison. Canons also seem to overdo the noise reduction. What it really comes down to is which camera you like the photos from the best. So sample photos are a good way to choose.

Last thing I'll say is that it comes down to how you use a camera as well as which one you choose, so getting a camera with some manual settings and learning to use them quickly can improve photos significantly, especially in lower light. Sorry if it seems complicated. The fact there is no simple solution annoys me too; physics can be limiting sometimes.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.