• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I need a new camera, please give me advice

Lightyear

Looking at my recent photos just now it was revealed to me once again that my current camera is rubbish and takes rubbish photos (a Fuji A850, don't buy it)

I need a camera that is relatively simple and inexpensive (preferably under 100 British Pounds but it can be a bit more). I don't want anything special just a camera that takes great photos during the day, okay photos in darker environments (that's one thing that annoys me about my current camera, apart from when it's bright daylight all the photos come out fuzzy) and has a simple video function. If there is anything else I should consider please tell me.

Advice from anyone is welcome but I just want to note that I live in the UK.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, my compact digital camera was a little over a hundred, but it's surprisingly very good. Nikons are the way to go! I would recommend Sony, too, but I'm not terribly experienced with them. Plus, I don't know how much they typically run.

KDude

nighttime shots are always hard on compacts.. i don't know of any cheap current ones. i'll mention that the s90 and sony's tx-1 do it pretty well, but those are high end compacts.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Don't get a Canon PowerShot or a Fuji. I'd investigate Sony, as I've heard good things about them.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't get a Canon PowerShot or a Fuji. I'd investigate Sony, as I've heard good things about them.

sony has crappy noisy sensors. but you cant get a camera that doesent have huge noise in dark without flash for that price, you need a dslr for that.

Anyway in that price range, everything is total crap, some are worse than others, but all are crap. if you care about the quality you need to pay more.

Photos taken in dark come out fuzzy because the camera uses too long exposure time, you need to set iso to maximum, lowest f-number and then hope that enough light gets on the sensor that your handshake doesent show.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I have an older minolta which is really great, but for 100 pounds you're not getting anything special.

If you spend a little more the Canon Ixus series seems like a decent to good buy. Long time since I've been looking up cameras but Ive heard nothing but good things about the Ixus series from people that own it. Olympus makes decent camera's aswell, but I'd spend atleast 120-150 and up on a camera that I know can last a long time.

KDude

sony has crappy noisy sensors. but you cant get a camera that doesent have huge noise in dark without flash for that price, you need a dslr for that.

Anyway in that price range, everything is total crap, some are worse than others, but all are crap. if you care about the quality you need to pay more.

Photos taken in dark come out fuzzy because the camera uses too long exposure time, you need to set iso to maximum, lowest f-number and then hope that enough light gets on the sensor that your handshake doesent show.

some of the newer sony;s have the best sensors around (for point and shoot). link. still moderately expensive for a p&s though.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
some of the newer sony;s have the best sensors around (for point and shoot).

TX7: The Exmor R is fabulous [Page 1]: Sony Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

looks pretty crappy to me. looks like they apply so much chroma noise reduction that image starts to lose details really much, i looked some other pics too taken with the sensor and with high iso, even tho there is pretty low noise, colors will look crappy and low saturated and the image is soft(due to too hard noise reduction). note that the shot from fuji here is bit overexposed, therefore looks like having bit dull colors and low contrast.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Looking at my recent photos just now it was revealed to me once again that my current camera is rubbish and takes rubbish photos (a Fuji A850, don't buy it)

I need a camera that is relatively simple and inexpensive (preferably under 100 British Pounds but it can be a bit more). I don't want anything special just a camera that takes great photos during the day, okay photos in darker environments (that's one thing that annoys me about my current camera, apart from when it's bright daylight all the photos come out fuzzy) and has a simple video function. If there is anything else I should consider please tell me.

Advice from anyone is welcome but I just want to note that I live in the UK.

Though what you ask for seems simple, technically it requires quite good components, hence costs quite a bit of money. Almost nothing but a digital SLR will take indoor photos well without a flash, and nighttime photos without a flash require a tripod or very good camera.

As INTP said, cheap compact cameras are normally rubbish. If you want to look through your options, DPReview (which someone linked already) isn't a bad site. It will at least give you an idea of what is around and the quality difference.

The main things you'll care about for low-light photos are the sensor size, megapixels and minimum F number. For the same sensor size, less megapixels is generally better. This seems counter-intuitive but larger pixel size=higher signal-to-noise ratio, so an 8 megapixel camera can be significantly better than a 14 megapixel one. If I was buying a camera of any type, the first thing I'd look at would be the lens quality also. Some of the cheap ones will have pretty poor lenses and quite soft/unappealing photos as a result. For some reason people forget how vital the lens is when they buy compact digital cameras. Good image stabilisation (anti-shake) can help in low-light also, but only to a point.

After saying all that there will probably be something that will satisfy you for a bit above your price range, say 150 pounds, so check out the suggestions people make on here. I like the panasonics, but I own a panasonic so have a bias. The canon compacts have better colour than the panasonics, the panasonics have Leica lenses that make many of the canon photos seem soft by comparison. Canons also seem to overdo the noise reduction. What it really comes down to is which camera you like the photos from the best. So sample photos are a good way to choose.

Last thing I'll say is that it comes down to how you use a camera as well as which one you choose, so getting a camera with some manual settings and learning to use them quickly can improve photos significantly, especially in lower light. Sorry if it seems complicated. The fact there is no simple solution annoys me too; physics can be limiting sometimes.

Quinn123

I also dont know about the best one but i can suggest u the Sony, why can;t u try it? As it is very good in quality and gives clarity also. Just search online i think u can find more for the price u want.:)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really liked my CoolPix before it got stolen... it even took clear pictures out the windows of moving cars! :holy:

I liked the fact that it was small enough to slip in my back pocket or in my purse without causing problems and that it really DID take good pictures! I remember standing up on the banks of the river and looking down at some grass with frozen water droplets on the edge of the river- I considered sliding down and taking a pic of them but decided instead to try out the zoom (I didn't want to end up IN the river was the main reason :rolleyes:)... I ended up getting a great picture of them from about 10 feet away! That kind of sold me on that camera- I'll be getting another model soon :)

DSCN02360001_1.jpg