MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Genographic Testing

Genographic Test Reveals Darwins Ancestry - National Geographic Blog Wild

This is very interesting to me, i would appreciate your views, comments, criticisms and witticisms on genographic testing in general. Please
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

I know someone who is really into this. He and another person I know sent away for the genographic project kit and submitted their swabs. It is a little anti-climactic, I think. Not sure either can remember which haplogroup they are in.

Did you watch the two national geographic specials on the genographic project? The second one just sort of restates the information from the first, but without the awesome Chukchi segment. The first special is worth watching.

Now I see there are more specialized genetic testing services/data colletion groups appearing. 23andme evidently gives a full medical report. Here is a video via their blog. As the video mentions, for some people it is alarming to know all ones predispositions, plus there are concerns on what that information could do to health insurance. These are in addition to general privacy concerns. It reminds me of the movie Gattaca somewhat.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Phantonym

I'm interested in this as well. I've thought about taking the test but 100$ for sticking a swab in your mouth? Ok, I might do it some day.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've been wanting to take the 23andme test for about 2 years. But I just never manage to have enough money for it.
    I am quite concerned that this kind of tests might be going to become increasingly illegal with time.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I'm interested in this as well. I've thought about taking the test but 100$ for sticking a swab in your mouth? Ok, I might do it some day.
    I think (hope) it may become cheaper with time

Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    I've been wanting to take the 23andme test for about 2 years. But I just never manage to have enough money for it.
    I am quite concerned that this kind of tests might be going to become increasingly illegal with time.
    Ooh interesting, why would it become illegal?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    GONE

I read an article in a mag waiting for the dentist about genetic testing sites and got super excited. I'm not a spam bot but '23 and me' was the best rated and not because Google is a heavy investor.

However, the actual run downs they give you are limited and not as specific as I would like. They also explain how medically they aren't really analyzing your specific dna but rather looking for typical markers and seeing if you have them. So basically screening for diseases? I was excited about the ethnography but the examples of the website look ridiculously oversimplified like "you are chinese". I mean..really? I want to know my break down of all the haplop groups blah blah blah found in my DNA because I'm nerdy and have already followed a little bit of it online.

My friends are surprisingly paranoid and tell me not to 'give away my genetic information for free'. Basically someone is hoarding this information (CIA? FBI?) and also that my info is being used by some pharma company to make drugs or something that they'll make millions off and I'll get nothing.

^^ That is not too far off from what can and has happened. A black woman before the 1950s unknowingly had some cultures or blood samples taken for a routine check up used for some kind of major vaccination or disease study. Her original cell cultures/samples are invaluable/the backbone of the study. The family didn't know until recently and is now trying to sue for beacoup bucks.

What I think is most likely though is a few weeks after your results you get mysterious junk mail targeting all the weaknesses/trouble areas the kit revealed.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I read an article in a mag waiting for the dentist about genetic testing sites and got super excited. I'm not a spam bot but '23 and me' was the best rated and not because Google is a heavy investor.

However, the actual run downs they give you are limited and not as specific as I would like. They also explain how medically they aren't really analyzing your specific dna but rather looking for typical markers and seeing if you have them. So basically screening for diseases? I was excited about the ethnography but the examples of the website look ridiculously oversimplified like "you are chinese". I mean..really? I want to know my break down of all the haplop groups blah blah blah found in my DNA because I'm nerdy and have already followed a little bit of it online.

My friends are surprisingly paranoid and tell me not to 'give away my genetic information for free'. Basically someone is hoarding this information (CIA? FBI?) and also that my info is being used by some pharma company to make drugs or something that they'll make millions off and I'll get nothing.

^^ That is not too far off from what can and has happened. A black woman before the 1950s unknowingly had some cultures or blood samples taken for a routine check up used for some kind of major vaccination or disease study. Her original cell cultures/samples are invaluable/the backbone of the study. The family didn't know until recently and is now trying to sue for beacoup bucks.

What I think is most likely though is a few weeks after your results you get mysterious junk mail targeting all the weaknesses/trouble areas the kit revealed.
    One of the interesting aspects is that you can get the raw data too, and there are lots of third party softwares as well as people who can help you analyse the raw data, see what alleles you have on different SNPs.
    The ethnographic side gives you the similarity between you and different population, with 23andme you can also get a relative finder, finding your relatives according to the amount of DNA segments that you share with them.
    There is also a cool breakdown of your chromosomes with the likely origins of different segments on it, and therefore the percentages of your genetic material that is typical of people from Africa, Europe or Asia/Americas/Oceania. On this too, with third party applications and raw data you can get similarity ratios with much more precise ethnic groups.
    Also if you are interested in your yDNA and mtDNA haplogroups, they are of course included in the package.

Damn, I wish they would offer me the test considering how much I advertise them.

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I think (hope) it may become cheaper with time

Ooh interesting, why would it become illegal?
    Just rumour, people saying it.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I know someone who is really into this. He and another person I know sent away for the genographic project kit and submitted their swabs. It is a little anti-climactic, I think. Not sure either can remember which haplogroup they are in.
    Yes, this is what i am really interested in, i have been surfing for a while now looking into "the dawn of man" while there is some conflict of origin i think most scientists would agree the start point to be Africa.
    One of the reasons i find this particularly interesting is that it would be a bloody good argument to put to the white supremicists. I was wondering how many people from places like norway and sweeden have participated as there seems to be a concentration in those places.

Did you watch the two national geographic specials on the genographic project? The second one just sort of restates the information from the first, but without the awesome Chukchi segment. The first special is worth watching.
    No i didn't see them, but would love to, do you know a link or can you point me in the right direction?

Now I see there are more specialized genetic testing services/data colletion groups appearing. 23andme evidently gives a full medical report. Here is a video via their blog. As the video mentions, for some people it is alarming to know all ones predispositions, plus there are concerns on what that information could do to health insurance. These are in addition to general privacy concerns. It reminds me of the movie Gattaca somewhat.
    Ah yes i see, i'm not really interested in those tests.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I've been thinking about this on and off. I may buy two kits when I'm bored and have the money.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I've been thinking about this on and off. I may buy two kits when I'm bored and have the money.
    Maternal and paternal lineage?
    Or a more sceptical reason, sending two tests, one under a different name-to compare results?