User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

I know that I2b1 is mainly associated with Germanic people and Lower Saxony, but you can find it in other places too.
    However, it indeed doesn't contradict your genealogical work, then it's good.

What made you think you were French, originally?
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    ENFp

My mother who was told that we were and passed it down lol.

And if anyone is thinking of getting the testing done, I would advise against genebase. They screwed with my markers once and it was a mess. For someone that didn't know what to look for or that something was off it might have never been resolved.

On top, its not compatible really with Ysearch and Mitosearch - you have to play with your markers to make it work. I used FTdna for my fathers DNA and they were GREAT!

89% Extroverted ~ 68% Intuition ~ 84% Feeling ~ 89% Perceiving
    Enneagram: 2w1 SO/SP Socionics: ENFp
    Cognitive Process
    Se 30.4% Si 19.1% - Ne 38.4% Ni 26.4% - Te 23.1% Ti 20% - Fe 46.4% Fi 35.8%
    Sanguine | Phlegmatic
    Right Brain Dominant

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by alexx View Post
    I2B1 is a Germanic haplotype, represented most in Lower Saxony.
    Actually, I2b1 is fairly common in many French provinces, especially in the Val de Loire area...

So according to your Y and mt DNA haplogroups, well... you're like a typical person born in Western Europe. It could be either Germany, northern France, Benelux, southern Britain or Tuscany: a very wide choice.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Anyway. Because of my odd family genetic background, I had my genes screened to detect possible anomalies.
    The good news is that curiously, I seem to have escaped to most known genetic disorders, despite the curious layout of my internal organs. For instance, my liver, heart and spleen aren't exactly where they are supposed to be, according to human statistics. Just 5 or 10 centimeters away, sometimes more... But for a surgeon, this is a nightmare. Mines always said they had never experienced something like that in their entire career, even if it reminds them of an obscure technical souvenir during their Medicine school days. My caecum was not placed near the lower half of the abdomen, but directly behind my liver: this mutation occurs extremely rarely, and almost exclusively in a few remote Eastern Siberian tribes.

But do not worry for me, these organs are 100% functional.

---

So:

My father Y haplogroup is R1b2a1a2 (P312, according to the current nomenclature). That's normal, it's one of the most common Y haplogroups in Western France (if not the most), and especially in Celtic/Atlantic populations.

But what's curious is my mtDNA haplotype... It is supposed to be... Y!
    This is another big clue that leads to a direct Eastern Siberian maternal ancestor. But how those genes managed to cross all Eurasia to end in an Ashkenazic family... well... This is surely an amazing journey. We're probably the only family in France with such a mtDNA.

As a matter of fact, lots of my genetic markers are close to the Ainu tribe of northern Japan. But they are mixed with typical, Western European/Ashkenazic markers, so it's a really odd combination. But I also probably inherited some odd genes from my father's, because my paternal aunt has the same issue with her heart layout.

My blood type is A2B.

My elder brother, on the other hand, seems to be more "typical". Unfortunately for him, he has haemochromatosis, while I haven't. And his blood type is O: he's a universal donor (well, he has to regularly give it now!), while I'm an universal receiver.... Curious isn't it?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Anyway. Because of my odd family genetic background, I had my genes screened to detect possible anomalies.
    The good news is that curiously, I seem to have escaped to most known genetic disorders, despite the curious layout of my internal organs. For instance, my liver, heart and spleen aren't exactly where they are supposed to be, according to human statistics. Just 5 or 10 centimeters away, sometimes more... But for a surgeon, this is a nightmare. Mines always said they had never experienced something like that in their entire career, even if it reminds them of an obscure technical souvenir during their Medicine school days. My caecum was not placed near the lower half of the abdomen, but directly behind my liver: this mutation occurs extremely rarely, and almost exclusively in a few remote Eastern Siberian tribes.
    Wow, i was never interested in the screening side befor, but if the screening can also relate to genetic background then that puts a whole new spin on it

But do not worry for me, these organs are 100% functional.

---
    So:

My father Y haplogroup is R1b2a1a2 (P312, according to the current nomenclature). That's normal, it's one of the most common Y haplogroups in Western France (if not the most), and especially in Celtic/Atlantic populations.

But what's curious is my mtDNA haplotype... It is supposed to be... Y!
    This is another big clue that leads to a direct Eastern Siberian maternal ancestor. But how those genes managed to cross all Eurasia to end in an Ashkenazic family... well... This is surely an amazing journey. We're probably the only family in France with such a mtDNA.
    Thats so interesting, my imagination is racing with possibilities.... A tribe that travelled the distance but only two made it to their destination (France) and hid in a cave and started their own family only to mix with the general population a hundred years ago....In my mind it's a much more elaborate story, thats the short version.

As a matter of fact, lots of my genetic markers are close to the Ainu tribe of northern Japan. But they are mixed with typical, Western European/Ashkenazic markers, so it's a really odd combination. But I also probably inherited some odd genes from my father's, because my paternal aunt has the same issue with her heart layout.

My blood type is A2B.

My elder brother, on the other hand, seems to be more "typical". Unfortunately for him, he has haemochromatosis, while I haven't. And his blood type is O: he's a universal donor (well, he has to regularly give it now!), while I'm an universal receiver.... Curious isn't it?
    Haha, curiouser and curiouser! I am blood type A- but i don't quite know how that relates to genographia, do you?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Thats so interesting, my imagination is racing with possibilities.... A tribe that travelled the distance but only two made it to their destination (France) and hid in a cave and started their own family only to mix with the general population a hundred years ago....In my mind it's a much more elaborate story, thats the short version.
    Actually, we have no clue since the archives of my family were destroyed either by the Nazi and the Soviet governments.

But one elaborate hypothesis relates to a possible meeting which could have occured in Birobidzhan, between a Jewish exile and a native Nivkh woman (they lived in almost the same area, near Khabarovsk).

Birobidzhan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nivkhs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who knows what really happened, then?
    Birobidzhan was a kind of early Stalinian gulag (1928). People were deported there by force, and not a lot survived to the rigors of Siberian winters.

It could be interesting, yet the time index doesn't fit very well. Too recent.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

So if I were to do this, could I find out anything about my mother's dad?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    So if I were to do this, could I find out anything about my mother's dad?
    If you want to find her mtDNA lineage, then your only option is to test your father, not yours.

7w8 SCUxI