• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Anatomy Of A Black Hole

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I like the third theory; that gives a whole new world of stuff to think about.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the third theory; that gives a whole new world of stuff to think about.

I think that would only happen if the blackhole has infinite energy. Unless it's a close enough approximation or something. Anyway, anything that gets close to the black hole is going to have to be able to survive it.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
went through it fast, i don't know what scientist the guy/gal's quoting, but the last 2 theories are incoherent. Mass is directly related to the radius of the event horizon, that wouldn't be the case if the energy was all expulsed, it isn't, but as matter is accelerated like hell while nearing the event horizon , well, i'll let you think about it by yourselves.

And the last one, if you read what I just said you'd realise that I also answered

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the more likely assumption would be that matter disintegrates in the smallest possible forms of particles even smaller than light, and dissappates from the blackhole smaller than the naked eye can see. Space.

Seriously, space, what if space is not nothing. But the smallest form of particles out there.

I can't think of any reason why a black hole could be capable of storing infinite matter and energy without having some form of release.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I think that would only happen if the blackhole has infinite energy.

for the love of shiva, would people stop confusing infinite energy and density tending to infinity.

Ever heard of the resolution for zeno's paradox ?
well an arrow can infinitely tend to some end destination, but the total volume/surface/length is still finite.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Seriously, space, what if space is not nothing. But the smallest form of particles out there.
It's not that simple, quanta perhaps, particles is a bit too anthropocentered but yes, it's an idea i like to use, conjointly with einsteinian relative space time.
Gotta go

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
ah yes, eck chimes in on physics concepts he has no business talking about. I wonder, where have we seen this before?

oh its no matter, he has to go, because much like his foolish ancestor descartes, he thought he solved physics when he knew anything but :( :( :(

poor, poor Eck. Why don't you study math, son? I bet Legrange was ENTP! You can do it!

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1. I hate descartes, the man was, as far as his philosophy goes, an idiot
2. I probably understand physics better than you do apply it
3. If you don't understand word plays on quasi synonyms, I'm not to blame, wait until 2092 for these verbal iq upgrade or something.
3. Ur bad at being cocky, try again

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
for the love of shiva, would people stop confusing infinite energy and density tending to infinity.

Ever heard of the resolution for zeno's paradox ?
well an arrow can infinitely tend to some end destination, but the total volume/surface/length is still finite.

Doesn't it take infinite energy to create this:

MAGE32AX.GIF

I was told that there isn't enough energy in the universe to make it happen. I figured that the energy of a blackhole would be related to the density or something. What does zeno's arrow paradox have to do with this? :confused:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Doesn't it take infinite energy to create this:

MAGE32AX.GIF

I was told that there isn't enough energy in the universe to make it happen. I figured that the energy of a blackhole would be related to the density or something. What does zeno's arrow paradox have to do with this? :confused:

Oh sure, some say that'd take more energy than available in the universe, then again it all depends on the scales. But yeah, it would be pretty hard to create 'space travel ready wormholes' even without the whole issue of extreme gravity differencials (and the smaller the radius of the black hole the wilder the differencials)
You could speculate that with a smart repartition of mass in space you could pass through such a wormhole in constant freefall at a constantly growing speed, then the mass would make you decelerate as you'd climb the gravitational well on the other side.

I still don't see why it would take 'infinite' energy. As long as you accept that there's causality, it means that there's an absolute limit for information transmission. If you accept that this limit is 'the speed of light' then it also means that there's a minimum scale at which energy can be expressed (i guess you could argue that to a degree but well)
So true 'infinite' density of energy cannot be reached.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Highly simplified and romanticized [like Eck said, the last two theories are crap, and any science teacher knows this] but effective in presenting the general idea.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Highly simplified and romanticized [like Eck said, the last two theories are crap, and any science teacher knows this] but effective in presenting the general idea.

The second to last 'theory' (they're more like ideas) was probably saying that as you enter the black hole, you'll be dialated, which stretches you out, creating heat, which is hot enough to emit X-Rays/Gamma Rays. But that doesn't happen beyond the point where light cannot escape (Schwartzchild Radius), and I'm pretty sure that emits rays in all directions. They said the ship would disintegrate and eject particles out the other side :doh:

The last theory wasn't crap, it's not entirely impossible... I think

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The second to last 'theory' (they're more like ideas) was probably saying that as you enter the black hole, you'll be dialated, which stretches you out, creating heat, which is hot enough to emit X-Rays/Gamma Rays. But that doesn't happen beyond the point where light cannot escape (Schwartzchild Radius), and I'm pretty sure that emits rays in all directions. They said the ship would disintegrate and eject particles out the other side :doh:

The last theory wasn't crap, it's not entirely impossible... I think

Black holes don't emit anything outside of hawking radiation, which is still theoretical at this point and has never been observed. You do not get "blasted out the other side" simply because black holes are a closed system and *nothing* escapes. The x-rays are, like you said, emitted as matter falls into the black hole, not the black hole itself.

I don't really know where they got the idea that you get ejected in tiny pieces out the other side. Otherwise it's not a black hole.

IMO, the most interesting things about black holes are that you only need it's surface area to describe the black hole's content and that their properties are equal to that of subatomic particles in that they have a charge, mass, and angular momentum and are indistinguishable from each other if those values match up. It's like a super-particle.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
God that is amazing.

"Singularity -- the center of a black whole where matter is infinitely dense and gravity is infinitely strong and space and time as we know them cease to exist"

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Black holes aren't infinitely dense according to string theory.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Its-a like-a speghetti; they'mak'a'da pasta and they tossa and turna and squisha togetha until you hav'a stringy de meatball. *kisses fingers* Magnifico.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You do not get "blasted out the other side" simply because black holes are a closed system and *nothing* escapes. The x-rays are, like you said, emitted as matter falls into the black hole, not the black hole itself.

I don't really know where they got the idea that you get ejected in tiny pieces out the other side. Otherwise it's not a black hole.
This stemmed from equations done that predicted there were really two regions of spacetime connected with the black hole. One region was said to be out universe, and the other said to be another universe connected through a wormhole. There would also be a white hole in the "past" section of the Schwarzschild geometry. The entire object is really a "grey-hole".

You can see the process at arriving at this conclusion here:
Schwarzschild Geometry
http://www.math.ksu.edu/~westmore/PenrosediagramsTALK.pdf
Transition from Schwarzchild single-universe view of black hole to Kruskal-Szekeres two-universe view:
http://www.jessemazer.com/images/p835Gravitation.jpg