User Tag List

View Poll Results: Space Exploration: Yay or Nay?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

51 94.44%
  • Nay

3 5.56%
123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Space Exploration: Yay or Nay.

First off I just want to say I'm not in debate mode, as all I want to do is step out myself and hear other perspectives and view points on this matter:

Especially if you're strongly for it or against it.

I know where I stand in this subject. I'm for it.

Anyways, give me all the reasons why it's interesting, or not, worth it, or not... shoot everything you can think of.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'm for it, but the technical hurdles are rather extreme. I don't see any huge advance until Fusion power is developed.

There are a lot of problems we have now that demand our money and attention though, unfortunately

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

There are always more short term issues to deal with, but the sort of ressources the exploitation of, for example, the asteroid belt could bring would allow for an economic environnement congruent with the basic principle of capitalistic societies and all the pros they brought us, meaning of course, substained growth. That's not possible in the quasi closed system we call earth (except for sunlight which locally counteract entropy rise and so allows for homostasic organism to go through evolution and give rise to metacognition, tool creation and use and therefore civilisations)

It'd be sort of a waste to end the whole thing because feeding bank accounts the easy way for a few years was more important than the long term wealth and development of the species.

anybody with half a brain should see this as obvious, it's simple math, not philosophy.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Phantonym

Yay! Go for it! I'd love to live long enough to see something really interesting happening with all this.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    There are a lot of problems we have now that demand our money and attention though, unfortunately
    Oh, wait, yeah, I forgot about that.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

If they ever find some way to give important life extension to us rich folks the banalisation of the tech, socioeconomical and political issues arising from it, geopolitical polarisations, fear of population pressure and people feeling concerned by long term thinking for once would accelerate / allow the whole process to get started.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Explore which part(s) of space and how?

I'm for it as long as we try to keep it within our solar system. I think we should colonize and terraform Mars ASAP. But as jock mentions, it's damn near impossible to explore space outside our little corner here due to technical problems. Even with fusion engine reactors, we still only could reach a fraction of c. Break c somehow and i'd say Go Nuts!

MBTI
    INFP

As far I'm concerned with our space program in the US, those billions would be better spent on rejuvenating the economy of the nation from which they were generated (borrowed).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Look, we're not talking about breaking the C limit, an universe with causality implies a limit to C (absolute speed).
    What's needed are engineers. And you don't even need to go fast to get started. As long as u set up a continuous flow Who cares if the ressources arrive 10 years later if they arrive every month. And with the sort of growth allowed by arrival of ressources on earth and around it you could easily boost research for new space related stuff along with the average confort of living of the planet (i said average, i won't go into north vs south talks)

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    As far I'm concerned with our space program in the US, those billions would be better spent on rejuvenating the economy of the nation from which they were generated (borrowed).
    You can only take so much out of one hat.

... In theory.

MBTI
    INFP

Would you be more clear