User Tag List

View Poll Results: Space Exploration: Yay or Nay?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

51 94.44%
  • Nay

3 5.56%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

This ?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMgyC5GlNxA"].[/YOUTUBE]

Or that ?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIyA2DzGZB0"].[/YOUTUBE]

No matter what, Madonna will now it !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Actually seems like a good way to go. Also, they're right out cancelling the Constellation project and earmarked $6 billion for commercial taxis to orbit, indicating an opening for the private sector to get in on space flight. It's basically like the government buying a ticket for their astronauts.

An interesting new direction.
    This whole situation is rather strange. Under the program, all but about 15% of the funds ended up in the private sector anyway--a huge portion of the work was contracted to private companies, and NASA employees effectively provided oversight and provided requirements to them.

So the plan seems to be to basically short-circuit NASA, giving money directly to the private sector.

But then that process going to need oversight by some agency, because we can't expect the Science Advisor to do it alone. That's going to require some overhead, though.

We could call that overseeing agency, oh, a space agency. Maybe some sort of national space agency. There's a nice ring to that.

So we will probably be right back where we started--with a sizable portion of funds going to the private sector but managed by a government agency.

My source? I used to be a NASA subcontractor supporting Constellation, and I work with many who are still connected to the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    I'm against aggressive exploration for its own sake.

I think space exploration is a noble goal, and must eventually happen, but right now at our level of technology there isn't really any motivation. There are no resources worth getting, no other civilizations that we're aware of yet, and we don't have the ability to terraform and claim land. Any resources put towards space programs beyond local space would probably be better put in dealing with local issues.

I do think that reseach should continue, but as more of a hedge than a determined drive. Still, given choice between military spending and exploration I'd certainly take exploration. Imagine what NASA would do with a decade's worth of military spending.
    We need to kill the Martians before they kill us.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

it was interesting 50 years ago... now its just a waste of money. Telescopes will get us further then any rocketship would so whats the use. i say NAY
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Yes, though I think we might be pretty far away from anything~really groundbreaking, but working towards it now would probably bring it closer in the future. But we would have to figure out how to fund it.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Yes.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Being against this is just completely irrational in every way. I don't see (and have yet to see) any sound arguments to be against it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Being against this is just completely irrational in every way. I don't see (and have yet to see) any sound arguments to be against it.

Finances? Exploring space could end up being expensive and could take away resources for more immediate concerns.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Finances? Exploring space could end up being expensive and could take away resources for more immediate concerns.
    Resources that we're spending so wisely now. Plastic surgery and edible underwear, for instance.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Resources that we're spending so wisely now.

More than true. But I doubt that if it were to be decided to increase how much is put into space exploration to a significant enough degree, it would probably just end up meaning more taxes instead of substitutions. So it would end up being what are people willing to put into it for something that might not end up being notably worthwhile for a long time if really ever. But yes, pretty much am all for it.