User Tag List

View Poll Results: Space Exploration: Yay or Nay?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

51 94.44%
  • Nay

3 5.56%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

DERP DE DEEEERP!!!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

We should totally explore space. Yup.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    They're not going to be doing groundbreaking research if there is no immediate profit motive.
    SpaceShipOne and SpaceShipTwo are groundbreaking. I've already defended NASA's incredible contributions, but discovery does exist outside of federal budget line-items.

If the private sector gets involved more in actual space exploration, it will be because they received public funds.
    On the other hand, you are correct that government can support a program with no immediate financial return -- and, too, space travel is so rudimentary that its potential for commerce today is terribly limited. In the long term, however, we're likely to see a shift of public-to-private participation as with aviation.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

MBTI
    INTx

I'm against aggressive exploration for its own sake.

I think space exploration is a noble goal, and must eventually happen, but right now at our level of technology there isn't really any motivation. There are no resources worth getting, no other civilizations that we're aware of yet, and we don't have the ability to terraform and claim land. Any resources put towards space programs beyond local space would probably be better put in dealing with local issues.

I do think that reseach should continue, but as more of a hedge than a determined drive. Still, given choice between military spending and exploration I'd certainly take exploration. Imagine what NASA would do with a decade's worth of military spending.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    I'm against aggressive exploration for its own sake.

I think space exploration is a noble goal, and must eventually happen, but right now at our level of technology there isn't really any motivation.
    1. Yes there are ressources in space, alot of ressources, check your facts. And why bother terraforming when you can get ressources from quasi inexistant gravity wells and with mostly automated systems designed only for space operations (not reentry) that wouldn't require all the extra security and costs manned space shuttles do
    2. Who gives a damn about noble goals, noble goals are what you feed the general population to get their support in order to make actual things happen.
    3. Do I really need to state the obvious again and say that growth cannot be substained in a closed earth environnement?
    etc. etc.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    1. Yes there are ressources in space, alot of ressources, check your facts. And why bother terraforming when you can get ressources from quasi inexistant gravity wells and with mostly automated systems designed only for space operations (not reentry) that wouldn't require all the extra security and costs manned space shuttles do
    2. Who gives a damn about noble goals, noble goals are what you feed the general population to get their support in order to make actual things happen.
    3. Do I really need to state the obvious again and say that growth cannot be substained in a closed earth environnement?

etc. etc.
    The insistence gives you away -- you're simply looking for a way off Earth following your exile from G7III Kullat Nunu. Your disguise won't fool me, Grebtok of Pherznelpugh!
    Likes EcK liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    The insistence gives you away -- you're simply looking for a way off Earth following your exile from G7III Kullat Nunu. Your disguise won't fool me, Grebtok of Pherznelpugh!
    I have no comments about this at this time. You'll have to wait for the press release

It's just that when I look at what appear to me to be the two most viable timelines. I just don't like the 'stagnation on earth with a world governement and plenty of propaganda and brain washing to keep our natural expansionist tendencies at bay' possibility.
    Anything straying too far from the exploitation of space or the other one is unstable.
    Take for example the premise that the whole european union and the us decide to go green, lowering growth and even stopping it in the end. Other nations would use this to extend their own influence, leading to conflicts, hunger, defiance etc.

And keeping a logic of growth in a closed system with limited ressources is just a ridiculously short term view that can never be viable for the human species as it is (so i'm not accounting for species wide behavior altering genetic engineering etc)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Actually, debatable. It seems there's going to be a focus on the development of new tech instead of using old tech to send astronauts on new missions. While manned flight may be delayed, there's a new emphasis on improving propulsion and entry technology, not to mention habitation.

Actually seems like a good way to go. Also, they're right out cancelling the Constellation project and earmarked $6 billion for commercial taxis to orbit, indicating an opening for the private sector to get in on space flight. It's basically like the government buying a ticket for their astronauts.

An interesting new direction.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm strongly for space exploration ... but that stems mostly from disappointment at just how little human-kind has accomplished in that area in my lifetime. I remember watching the moon landings as a small child, filled with awe and imagining what the future would hold in terms of space travel. Little did I know at that time, that the moon landings would be the pinnacle of our achievement for the next 40+ years. Pundits were forecasting colonies on the moon by the 80s/90s and a trip to Mars by the turn of the millenium. None of it ever happened ... yet we continue to throw money at wars and broken government spending. Very disappointing. So ... I guess my stance stems more from an emotional, rather than logical viewpoint. Strange for an INTP ... but it is what it is.