User Tag List

View Poll Results: Space Exploration: Yay or Nay?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

51 94.44%
  • Nay

3 5.56%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    just doing some quick calculations

alpha centauri estimated distance - 4.3 light year(ly). 1ly = 9.3 x 10^12 km. The fastest probe we've sent out, helios, is upwards around 250 x 10^3 km/h. divine, we get like 4 x 10^9 hours or 1.3 x 10^8 days, or around 3.3 x 10^4 years. like 3 thousand years at our best speeds.

We CAN go faster, however. The problem is, if i remember my modern physics right, is that the energy it takes to accelerate closer and closer to c increases exponentially the faster you get.

so if we get a manned spacecraft going 1/2 of c, we COULD get it in there in ten years give or take, is that what is assumed?

Someone find a physics book plz, i'm not at my apartment find the energy it takes to accelerate to relativistic speeds, think that's why we would want fusion reactors like jock said.

edit: found it: E (kinetic) = (m c^2)/ (1 - (v/c)^2) - m c^2
    again, that's irrelevant.
    Nobody gives a shit about C as long as u can set up a steady stream of ressources, and our solar system could easily provide enough ressources for a thousand earths to live happily. (i could look for precise estimations)
    That's why i said we need engineers, not trekkies.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

ps: Didn't really read your calculations but I'm pretty sure you didn't take deceleration into account
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Some new relevant news...

BBC News - Obama to revise Nasa space vision

Details of a new vision for America's space programme are expected on Monday.

It is widely thought the new approach will see the commercial sector being given the task of launching astronauts.

In doing so, President Obama will scrap the rockets currently being developed by the US space agency to replace the shuttle and go back to the Moon.

It is anticipated Nasa chief Charlie Bolden will outline the new vision to coincide with Mr Obama's 2011 budget request to Congress.

Pre-announcement briefings have trailed the likelihood of the agency getting a $6bn increase in its funding over the next five years.

Some of this money will be used by Nasa to incentivise private companies, to help them bring forward a new generation of launchers to carry humans into orbit.

As well as being a customer for these rockets, the agency would also set and oversee standards in the nascent market, especially in matters that concern crew safety.

In addition, the funding boost would enable America to extend the operation of the International Space Station from 2015 to at least 2020.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I was getting to that!!!! We have to get there first yanno :p

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    NASA-funded scientists would argue that the US is already lagging behind in science as it is. So they can point to NASA accomplishments that helped push science forward and say they contribute to retaining American superpower status. You can also say keeping America ahead of the game in science and technology does benefit us economically and pays back dividends, which could make it easier to do more humanitarian support.

Actually, sitting here playing Mass Effect has me thinking we should just fake an alien invasion or crash or something instead. But your way sounds much more plausible.

And Eck, I actually agree with you. The future for humanity is space. How early do you start preparing for that future? That's a little tougher.

Actually, I think space exploration will be helped by advances in medicine, genetics, and cybernetics: some problems are not solved, but circumvented by human alteration.

I think advances in these kinds of things will all meet in the middle. Fusion, quantum computing, genetics, cybernetics, once all these things start coming into play I think we'll see real possibility.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I know you do. I was just slightly kicking your counter argument in the nuts. Otherwise it's not a discussion but a monologue.
    I could defend the 'steady state' society timeline or the 'don't spend so much on space' one too, it's just that I don't think most people see the big picture enough to do a good job at defending the space exploration side of the argument so I did it myself, though I realise I have little patience with explaining the many details I find should be obvious to anybody entering that sort of debate.

You (no, not you you ) don't talk about price rises if you never read any numbers/statistics about it or have thought something about economics for and by yourself.
    The Information is widely available, so people have no excuse.

... In theory.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    People are going to ask, why spend 10 billion dollars to study some space rocks when you got this going on across the pond:
    Foreign totalitarian oppression's not exactly a reason to suspend public funding of science and exploration -- unless, of course, deposing the junta in Khartoum and eliminating the Janjaweed can be done at discount for $9,999,999,999.

To the OP: I'm looking forward to the private sector leading the way in space exploration (nod to Richard Branson), but there is hardly a more worthwhile non-military expenditure than a space program. Count your blessings lately? Cover your bases and thank the space program.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    To the OP: I'm looking forward to the private sector leading the way in space exploration (nod to Richard Branson)
    That's called space tourism, not exploration. They're not going to be doing groundbreaking research if there is no immediate profit motive. They're just going to beam up rich motherfuckers with money to blow.

If the private sector gets involved more in actual space exploration, it will be because they received public funds.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    That's called space tourism, not exploration. They're not going to be doing groundbreaking research if there is no immediate profit motive.

If the private sector gets involved more in actual space exploration, it will be because they received public funds.
    Shhh, "public funds" is a dirty phrase to most ENTJs!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Shhh, "public funds" is a dirty phrase to most ENTJs!
    They took rrr tax money!!